Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone run a marathon? Is it worth it?
  • morelikeme
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of running the Loch Ness marathon in October, but I guess I’m just looking for reassurance it’s not such a crazy idea.

Has anyone else run a marathon? What were your thought processes around entering in the first place? Was it worth it in the end?

Many ta’s 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Go for it. Running a marathon isn’t really that hard, and it’s quite cool. It’s going to hurt if you don’t do much training, but nothing you can’t handle.

If you do one you’ll soon want to do another faster one though. It’s a slippery slope.

surfer
    Free Member

I did the London in 96 and it was great fun. It depends on how much you run, how fit you are and how commited you are to training.
    I was in good shape and did it for fun as I got an entry through work and a free weekend away! Consequently I recovered quickly.
    Some of the others from the company hadnt trained at all and it looked absolute murder, they were on their feet for hours.

I’m doing the London again this year by the way.

terrahawk
    Free Member

why the bloody **** would someone enter a marathon and not train?

finbar
    Free Member

Dunno, just for sh1ts and giggles in my case.

I did one a couple of years ago and my training consisted of about 12 miles a week plus one (one total) long run of about 15 miles. Crawled round in just under 4 hours, with two 16-minute miles at the end.

Was infinitely more painful than doing 2h54m at London last year, but i was still glad i did it.

surfer
    Free Member

There where quite a few that signed up and maybe though it was a good idea at the time and had the intention of training but didnt.

surfer
    Free Member

Finbar, is that your PB?

sofatester
    Free Member

For ego yes, for joints No.

finbar
    Free Member

Surfer – yeah, they’re the only two i’ve done. I was going to do London again this year but i haven’t trained over winter due to injury, so i will be pulling out. What time are you aiming for in April?

roper
    Free Member

Go for it.
    It can be a great experience and a good day out. As long as you train well you should be fine.
    The extra fitness will help your riding too.

surfer
    Free Member

I’d like to say about 2:40 – 2:45 (I’m 44) but injury has ruined the last 3 months. I’d settle for sub 3 hours but as a backstop if I break 3:15 I will get a guaranteed entry for 2010 as a V45. Maybe then I can run a bit quicker.

finbar
    Free Member

2h40m… crikey.

Funny that two marathon runners on the thread are injured. Make of that what you will 🙂

Conor
    Free Member

I’m doing the Belfast, albeit in a relay team though!!

aracer
    Free Member

Crawled round in just under 4 hours

Was going to suggest that was impressive on that training regime, but not so surprising given what you can do when you train!

Still trying to decide whether I’ll ever run a marathon just to be able to say I have if people ask. Have run further than that off-road, but that doesn’t seem to count. If I do, it won’t be London as that just doesn’t appeal (might be after 2.4 miles swimming and 112 miles cycling, as being able to say I’ve done that seems far more impressive!)

AndyP
    Free Member

[personal experience] Because I hate running, but someone bet me I couldn’t do a marathon. Wasn’t too bad. Couldn’t walk for 3 days and lost 6 toenails, but gained £500.[/personal experience]

stever
    Free Member

Have run further than that off-road, but that doesn’t seem to count.

Ooh I dunno. Do one with the word ‘marathon’ in the title and I think it counts. I did the Yorkshireman in 2007 with a mate and that was a bloody brilliant day out. Something like might be more up a mountain biker’s street than doing battle with the hippos in London?

MrSparkle

I’ve done a bit of running over the years. Never done a Mara as I mostly run on the Fell. I think the only one I’d do would be the Yorkshireman or one of the other off road ones. My missus has a mara PB of 3:42 (White Peak) which gave her a ‘good for age’ entry for London, t’other year. No relevance at all but I’m very proud of her!

surfer
    Free Member

Off road is considerably harder than on road. I recall my first fell race. I was confident I would be amongst the leaders and although I wasnt far behind my time bore no resemblence to my road time over a similar distance!
    Horses for courses although I enjoy the fell more than the road now.

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

terrahawk – Member

I entered a marathon once, chocolate and peanuts all over my knob.

I will get my coat. 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone run a marathon? Is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.