Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone riding an older Transition Scout?
  • Premier Icon breninbeener
    Free Member

A friend of a friend is selling a 2016 Transition Scout. He is the second owner and it is described as being ridden 4 or 5 times max. I havnt seen it yet but its a medium which is my size. Im awaiting the spec, but how do they ride? Is there anything i should look out for or be aware off.
    If it came to me it would be the most modern FS ive ever had and seems like the most modern geometry.
    They seem burly, but i wont know til i see the build. Is the headset replacable by a slackset?
    Finally, what is it worth?
    Thanks

Ian

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

really good and very nimble. I wouldn’t bother with the slackset either.

Look at the bearings – they don’t last long at all unless you continually pack them with grease. The shock wasn’t the best tune on the early scouts. check the welds and stays for cracks. 4-5 times is very low so I wouldn’t expect any marks from heels or cable rub around the BB area.

Premier Icon breninbeener
    Free Member

I think it has been bought by 2 people who saw mtb as cool, but didnt count on the effort of pedalling!

It would be my first modern FS so im quite keen.

Any idea of value?

Premier Icon poah
    Free Member

depends on spec.

Free Member

Yes sure, i get that. A quick search of www seems to throw up at least 4 different models.

I shall wait until i get the spec and photos later

Thanks

Ian

Free Member

Ok, further to my last….
    It has 140mm Pike rct3, monarch debonair, zee chainset and rear mech. Slx brakes and hope wheelset pro2 evo hubs. It has a rockshox reverb dropper. It has hardly been used looking at condition. Its in a black with blue logos. Deity bars.

Whats it worth?

Ian

Premier Icon jam-bo

Somewhere between £1000 and £1500

Free Member

Thanks. It looks really nice and despite being a 2016 they seem to review well

Premier Icon AndrewL

I got 4 years out of mine before the chainstay cracked, it was the fluorescent yellow first version. I got it 2nd hand but don’t think it was used much before me. Rode well down and was a good fun bike, was slightly portly and could wallow a bit climbing, bottom bracket pretty low.

I looked at replacing chainstay but was about 350 pounds. I also noticed the start of a crack on seat tube so decided to retire it.

It got a good innings, mainly peak district but a fair amount of lakes, dales and scotland too – I think tenerife finally killed it just before corona nonsense started…..

Premier Icon richardkennerley

I’ve got a 2017 scout. If you say it’s your most modern FS then I would imagine you’ll like it!

Mine is the only FS I’ve ever ridden having only had a few hardtails before that so I’m not exactly the best reviewer.

Sounds a similar spec to mine. To be honest, it’s heavy! However, the first decent ride I took it on I cleaned the climb up garburn pass which I’d never managed before. It’s not a racy number, but it’s ok for sitting and grinding away.

Point it down and it’s great fun, it feels at home on nice flowy trails but it’s handled big days out in the lakes and I’ve done 3 Ardrocks on it and lived. I’m a distinctly average rider and it’s way way more capable than I am.

Pedal Bob is terrible if you stand up and try to sprint (at the ardrock for example) but maybe all bikes are like that for all I know!

It’s a good bike though, if you’re happy with the price, you won’t be disappointed.

Premier Icon sl80
    Free Member

Great bikes, the shock and fork definitely sound like the standard spec but I don’t remember them ever coming with hope/shimano/reverb (I could be wrong though). I’d take the 4/5 rides with a pinch of salt.

Premier Icon argee

It’s basically a good old fashioned horst link trail bike, if you’ve not hit the newer long, slack and low stuff then this frame is pretty much standard fair, reminds me of a turner 5 spot with slightly better geometry, 125mm rear travel and up to 140mm front, so will do most of what you want unless you are hitting big stuff.

I wouldn’t put it up against the newer scouts, transition changed their approach with the SBG stuff, so last and current scouts are a different bike for me, only similarity is the name.

Premier Icon richardkennerley

and up to 140mm front

I’ve got 150mm on mine, although they were sold as 140, transition themselves said 150 was fine.

Premier Icon AndrewL

I ran 150mm. My post above was inadvertently negative sounding – it was a very versatile and fun bike.

Premier Icon JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have a 2015 Scout and its pretty much as it came with 140mm Pike’s. Its the first bike I bought as an ‘off the shelf’ build bike for 15 years previous and I love it.
    It rides lighter than it is. It has a real dynamic ‘poppy’ feel to it that encourages me to play around more. 6 years of ownership and I still feel like its my last full sus MTB. I want for nothing more.
    For balance my previous full sus bikes were;
    2012 Transition Covert
    2006 Santa Cruz Heckler
    1999 Santa Cruz Bullit

I have ridden many more but nothing beats the Scout for me.

Premier Icon welshfarmer

Great bike. 2 of my riding buddies had them from that era and both rated them extremely highly. You want to hope one of the previous owners wasn’t one of my mates though as he once got a top 50 Strava time on his on the Fort Bill DH track 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.