• This topic has 28 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Clink.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone riding a Spesh Camber 650?
  • core

I started a thread a few days ago about 130mm XC/Trail bikes, I have (I think) got down to two bikes that I could buy locally, within budget, but more importnatly, back up.

One is the Merida OneTwenty7

The other is the Spesh Camber Comp 650, (which I guess is made by Merida anyway), what interests me is that it sits somewhere between XC and bigger bikes so could be an ideal compromise for local riding, and with a few careful tweeks could come in a nice amount under 30lb. But, they don’t seem to sell many, people either go for the Epic XC machine or Stumpjumper. What I want is something fast, lively and playful though, and don’t need 150mm travel, but also don’t want an out and out XC racer.

Reviews are sparse, so any real world experiences? Finding one to demo looks like it’ll be hard.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Core – I have the 29er not the 650. Its a brilliant compromise between the two others and a great bike in itself. The old tag line roughly – all the bike you need and none of the bike you don’t – sums it up

Odd that you cant find reviews or demos – I demoed mine three times before purchase

Toasty

Finding one to demo looks like it’ll be hard.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/test-the-best

Most of the Concept stores will be able to get you a test bike to borrow for a while, if that’s easier.

I bought a 29er Stumpy a few years back, when they were 130mm travel, very light and speedy. They seem to have shifted their models around a bit, the new Stumpy is more beefy with a 150mm Pike, the Camber seems to fill the light trail bike slot.

I’m keen to test one as well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chrisa87
    Free Member

I got one about a month ago, have only ridden it once looking for the same type of bike as you, and I think it’s going to be perfect for me. Rode through cannock no problem, felt like I could get a load more out of the bike if I was fitter and had more skill 🙂

Hoping to get it out some more difficult natural trails soon.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve still got an older 26″ one and have demoed a 27.5″. There’s not that much difference geometry-wise other than a half degree slackening of the head angle (due to the extra 10mm travel up front) and the reach and ETT is approx 1cm shorter. the 27.5″ frame is a tad lighter.

I’d say that the Camber is closer to “XC” on the XC-Trail scale. It doesn’t climb as well as an Epic, and doesn’t descend as well as a Stumpjumper, but they are very capable bikes for general riding (i.e. 90% of the riding most people do).

If you’re a size large then there’s a cheap one going here http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Camber-Comp-650b-9770-0-0.html

“All the bike you need and none of the bike you don’t” – so true.

core

Can anyone confirm if they have dropper tuition?

That 2016 model looks good, thanks for the link, more gears would be nice, wonder if that freehub would take an 11spd (with 10t small cog) cassette if I wanted to go 1x in the future….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I put a dropper on my evo (reverb)

I was looking for offers for you and noted the move to one front ring. Mine has two – the 2015 version

core

Dropper routing* bloody iphone……

Front shifter does make dropper lever positioning more tricky is the main downside.

br
    Free Member

+1 All the bike you’ll need

29er Camber, and pushed the Pikes out to 140mm

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just ask your local spesh dealer for a demo. I’d guess most are part of the test bike scheme and if they don’t have one of there own to lend you they should be able to get one for you to try for a weekend

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve got the 29er 2016 model, only reason I didn’t get the 650b was it was delayed into the uk.

I’ve said loads of times the 29er is an awesome all day bike, I really rate mine, still bog standard although tempted by some pikes at 140mm mine didn’t come with a dropper but has the internal routing for one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The internal routing is partial. Comes out by the rear shock so not totally internal

core

I’ve got a 29er now, really want the 650b, just think it’ll suit my riding more as an all-rounder, I like 29″ for flat out xc but tight and twisty not so much.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Never understood that but it’s personal I guess

I am more worried about catching wide handlebars than worrying about wheel size

core

I might just have not ridden a really decent 29er……

I just prefer smaller wheels in really tight and twisty stuff.

br
    Free Member

tbh riding a XL/20″ frame it doesn’t really matter on wheel size, it’s a long bike.

wubss
    Free Member

I had the 2014 29er for a couple of years until it got nicked. It was fantastic, never felt like the bike was out of its depth. Fast everywhere!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Was that the black and red one – looked wonderful

pictonroad

The internal routing is partial. Comes out by the rear shock so not totally internal

For a dropper? no it isn’t.

I’ve got the 2017 carbon 29er Camber with 140mm pikes, it’s a fantastic bike, very low bottom bracket though, not sure I’d be happy with it as 650b 😕
    I mainly bought it because it’s green though so my opinion may not be valid…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok, should have said “was”

With the old bikes they threw in an extra front ring to compromise 😉

LMT
    Free Member

My 2016 has the same internal routing as the carbon one above.

br
    Free Member

My old version has full internals too, maybe it’s a carbon thing?

Kuco

I’ve got a carbon Camber 650 and love it. For me I find 130mm enough travel for what I want. Climbs lovely and it handles all the rocky descent at trails centers fine. Even did a weeks riding in Spain last year on it and it be going back out again this year.

For me personally I thought 150mm Stumpjumper was too much for what I wanted and the Epic a bit too much racey.

LMT
    Free Member

Should of said mines the alu comp version, couldn’t afford the carbon 🙁

core

Well I can’t get a demo, Specialized don’t have one in the demo fleet, and neither local dealer ever stock them, or sell them, though they don’t know which causes which……

Seems people either go for the epic, or stumpjumper, I want neither, I want sensible middle ground, had a go on a stumpy last year, did pedal well, but more travel than I want or need. Out of curiosity we weighed a stumpy comp at the one LBS and it was bang on 30lbs without pedals. I reckon the camber could be a good few pounds lighter with not much tweaking and very efficient.

Ultimately I’m not going to buy one without a demo though.

loughor
    Free Member

I’ve the M5 alloy 29″ job, upgraded to full XT, pikes at 130. No lightweight but, wow, great bike !
    In my opinion, like the old 26″ Pitch, under the radar until Spesh stop it, then everyone wants one

hrgb
    Free Member

I had a 2016 stumpjumper elite aluminium briefly and it was really heavy in my opinion. It was a good bike though and was fast on the flat and down but they are a very ‘active’ pivot so pedalbob-a-plenty. Didn’t go fast uphill. Flicking the CTD lever on the rear shock to the middle helped a little.

I should imagine a 650B camber would be a laugh but again, heavy. Although weight isnt everything, it plays a big part in uphill dynamics…

I should imagine the 29er camber is more popular but I personally prefer 650 handling.

Have you considered a cannondale habit? I just got a good deal on one from Triton cycles…

LMT
    Free Member

I took a demo of the stumpy, my previous camber 26er was an impulse buy, wanted to make sure I was right, part of me wishes I had kept the 26er as it’s such a good bike and tbh when riding the new 29er I don’t notice the difference, well just the one and that’s the newer 29er fitting me better, I had a med 26er and now a small 29er.

Anyway yep the stumpy the frame front triangle is the same on the alloy models, just the travel, after riding a stumpy I loved the ride but thought for my mincing round the forests had too much travel, so took a gamble on the camber.

Clink

I have a Camber Comp carbon. It’s heavier than I would like but a lot of that’s in the components. The suspension is reasonably active but I find that it provides brilliant grip and traction on technical uphill sections. It’s a good ‘do everything’ bike for me. I bought a 2016 in the sale – brilliant vfm.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding a Spesh Camber 650?’ is closed to new replies.