anyone riding a santa cruz superlight 29er?

Home Forum Bike Forum anyone riding a santa cruz superlight 29er?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • anyone riding a santa cruz superlight 29er?
  • Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

And got a real world review?

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Hello Rocketdog.
    Yes I have one, the only major change I made was to Crossmax ST wheels. It did noticeably improve the bike. I have got low risers on but find it comfy this way. The headtube is very short.
    It’s a lovely bike for mud – Never ever clogs up. SPAM winter challenge was a hoot passing all the multipivot bikes clogged up and standing still, and I mean biblical mud bath occured. Eats up miles – very comfy, I ride a 18/19″ bike at 5 foot 11 and 12 stone and bought the 19″ burnt orange version – It fits spot on. Warranty has recently changed to 5 years and lifetime bearings from 2 years – thank goodness. I fully realise the new bike/I’m awesome syndrome, but I can definitely clear sections of greasy climbs and logs and stuff that I could never confidently do before. It just inspires confidence. A clean lined, simple to maintain classic reliable squirt of a bike you can take almost anywhere. I have had Ti, Al, 853, all the giant FS range except Glory and I do not regret getting SL and selling all the rest. Me smiling after 49K and 900m on it.

Must admit I have not seen another yet – but they can hardly be rare.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Thanks for that, interesting on the sizing! I’m 6ft 2 and would usually go for 19″ frame (my other 29ers are this size) do they come up small? Thinking ii might need an XL instead. I’ve read reviews of a flexy rear any comments on that?

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Previous thread on sizing shows – if like me you like a long TT go for XL.
    Website with same info – go XL.
    Rear flex , it does flex, but actually riding I have never noticed a problem. Later on I will attempt a short video comparing flex with a Carbon Anthem – Well I will attempt to…
    Personally I value the mud clearance and some flex – way higher than a braced swing arm and minimal mud room. I can get my whole arm down between the tyre and the seatube and the rear tyre is tucked under by arse due to the SP design, lifting the front is a doddle. – where I ride mud clearance is a massive advantage.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Thanks thats a proper real world review, thanks for taking the time to write and post it

Premier Icon santacoops
    Subscriber

Seriously considering one of these for next winter. +1 thanks for real world review.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

And its got a bottle mount! Officially tempted now.

sambob

Someone’s scratched your headtube badge 😉

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Thats designed in, the distressed look 😉

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

That’s the position my dog goes in to evacuate 😉

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

You will not regret the purchase Rocketdog – Mine was ace Wednesday night ride, yes more mud and mayhem 🙂

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

1st ride today, new bike syndrome or not, once i’d set the contact points as i liked it was a big grin from start to finish, so this is for Wally, as it’s partly your fault!

Gilles

Nice – the problem with a black frame, you can see all the scratches.

Premier Icon Shmikuk
    Subscriber

Hi Rocketdog, which size did you go with? At 6’4 everyone suggests xl for everything but I ride a large swift that fits well with a fair bit of post! Thanks. Great looking bike btw

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I went large, took tape measure to shop and effective top tube is about 5mm shorter than my lrg swift. An XL would have meant my dropper wouldn’t have fit

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

ROcketDog – I need a new Headset – what fits please?
    The standard Cane Creek 10 is total pants.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

got the headset as part of the deal, presume it’s the same as your old one, only done about 40 miles on it so far though

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

1st ride at a proper trail centre yesterday and the first time ever i actually got some air over the table tops! Very forgiving ride, totally knackered now from giving it full gas out of the corners 🙂

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Hi rocketdog, for the first time ever I’m in the top 10 – twice, in an open male race on my SL29er.
    Got a new hope headset in the end from CRC, it’s sorted out the headset knocking I was getting when rocking the bike.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Cool, for future reference which hope headset?

ski

RD how easy do you find it to lift the front end over things? Also, what does it climb like compared to your other 29ers?

It look like a lot of fun btw

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

My others are HT’s so its never gonna climb like them but it doesn’t bounce all over the place out of the saddle like my old Orange 5 did & thats even with the shock unlocked. This was my major cincern when getting it, I’m a bit of a pedal masher but I’ve no qualms now. Lifting the front? This bike is a lot easier to manual than my others just encourages you to pop it off stuff all the time.

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

I have one too and would agree with RD’s comments, particularly about the lack of pedal bob.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I have to say today was my best ever performance on a bike, I’m certainly no riding God but the bike really came alive over the red route at GT. I’ve ridden the route on 26″ HTs & FS many times but i was the fastest I’ve ever been today even keeping up and passing the fast boys in our group which is unheard of for me! The bike just felt absolutely alive & coped with all my dodgy lines with ease. 29″ wheels had no trouble with the tight berms & twists and turns either, I hesitate to say it but with 120mm forks on it felt “Dialled & planted” i finally realise what that means! 🙂

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Hope Head Set was from CRC pick and mix. Internal normal top and tapered external bottom. Easy to fit with HS press.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Here’s mine. Rides like a very comfy version of a Scandal.
    ps that’s a good thing.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

nice, sorted the bottle issues?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘anyone riding a santa cruz superlight 29er?’ is closed to new replies.