Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • anyone riding a Pinion equipped bike ? i have a itch.
  • ton

got a rohloff eqipped bike, which i love.
    but i fancy a nice tough hardtail built with a pinion system.
    something in 29” steel with a 130 fork would be perfect.

anyone riding anything like this ?
    any recommendations about a builder/supplier ?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

a friend has a kingdom Ti pinion its very nice, i hear kingdom has come into UK ownership in recent months, so maybe easier to deal with than denmark.

Neil @ sonder https://alpkit.com/pages/sonder-custom-titanium-frames can custom build Ti
    or check ebay seller:alpkitoutlet
    or 18bikes is another option.

PhilO
    Free Member

I have a Nicolai Helius, so not well placed to comment on the hardtail front, but I’ve been very pleased indeed with the gearbox. I previously had another Helius, with a Rohloff, and functionally they’re very similar while having the obvious weight centralisation advantages.

Gears-inna-tin are the future, I tell you! 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bazz

I believe @ta11pau1 may have some useful input for this thread.

ta11pau1

Not sure what there is in steel – probably quite limited, there’s a few options in Ti though. Bear in mind a steel pinion gearbox bike is probably going to be well over 16kg, maybe more…

My ti Nordest is around 15.5kg with carbon wheels, fox 36’s, carbon bar, and toughish trail spec tyres.

As for the gearbox – love it, and I prefer the gripshift to conventional trigger shifters.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a couple of Pinion bikes. My Nicolai Ion GPI is FS but I also have a hardtail titanium Sick Wulfbarron. I reckon having the gearbox adds over a kilo to any bike vs a mid range derailleur system. So….

i fancy a nice tough hardtail built with a pinion system.
    something in 29” steel with a 130 fork would be perfect

does it really have to be steel? It is going to have some heft but if you really must you could try talking to 18Bikes as they used to make them or BTR may be persuadable but either is going to be lbs and £s.

A way better option in my opinion would be to take a look at Nordest for a Ti frame.

Rubber_Buccaneer

As for the gearbox – love it, and I prefer the gripshift to conventional trigger shifters.

Well that makes two of us. Possibly the only two in the entire world 😀

ton

to be honest, i would make do with Ti. it would compliment my fargo.

i will take a look at the nordest and the wulfbarren.

cheers.

thepodge
    Free Member

Olsen bikes are big on Pinion & competitively priced.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.