Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Anyone riding a Defy
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Thinking of one as a training, winter, audax and long trips bike. When people ask about Giants everyone says TCR, but that’s what I race. I don’t like to do my ‘all other’ riding on full on race bikes.
    Value looks good, Defy Composite 2.
    Pretty nifty in the pros hands in the Paris-Roubaix as well.

rOcKeTdOg

i sat on one yesterday, quite sporty geom (i sat on a same size TCR too) and you can fit mud guards, what’s not to like?

oldgit
    Free Member

The mudguard bit was selling it for me, but that only applies to the Alu ones. I did think all Defy’s were mudguard compatible?

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a 2010 Defy 2, and it was great. Just sold it after 2 years so I can get a 2013 Defy 1, but the next size down.

For mudguards, I used Crud Catchers MK2s. Worked fine.

iainc

I have a composite 1. Lovely bike, comfy, fast. No mudguard fittings. Its a 2012

willstaffs
    Free Member

I have had a Giant Defy 3 which was fantastic, I had the official Giant mudguards and it made it hassle free to ride all winter!

Currently have a Defy Composite which is again fantastic but doesn’t have eyelets for mudguards or rack mounts. Comfy for hours on en even with my ever worsening back!

Kryton57

I have had a Giant Defy 3 which was fantastic, I had the official Giant mudguards and it made it hassle free to ride all winter!

Just bought a 2013 as a winter bike, with guards. Boy was I surprised at what you get for £700 these days. Awesome bike, great geo, comfy and no slouch either. Rumours are that the own brand kit us Easton and Wheels are DTswiss too.

oldgit
    Free Member

Wheels are DT Swiss, I’ve got some P-SLR 1’s on a bike.

rOcKeTdOg

i sat on a composite one and an alu, didn’t seem much difference in weight to me with a pick it up test

stratman
    Free Member

Bought an Advanced 2 2012 last October – cheap as a ‘last year’s’ model

Ridden it loads and love it. Mudguards are crudcatcher raceblades that I’ve kept on all year. As the above posters say, comfortable too.

I’m on M/L, I’m 5’10” but relatively long back and short legs so wanted longer reach.

Superficial
    Free Member

The Alu ones have lugs for mudguards but apparently only with 23c tyres. Interestingly the Composite version I saw doesn’t have the lugs, even on the forks (which otherwise seem identical to those on the Alu defy).

Kryton57

Superficial – my defy came supplied with 25mm tyres and the Defy specific guards fit fine.

Superficial
    Free Member

Oh, that’s good. I’ve got a Defy with a vague plan to buy the matching mudguards but not got around to it yet.

takisawa2

The matching guards are good value at £27. I’ve ordered some for my TriBan.
    Apparently coverage is excellent because of the way they are cut down to go through the brake arches.

souldrummer
    Free Member

A mate of mine has got one for his winter bike and he absolutely loves it! His summer bike in a TCR Advanced SL so it’s quite a step down to the Defy but after a couple of rides he finds the Defy more comfortable and he is certainly not going any slower on it!! The wheels are quite heavy and he has changed the saddle, but other than that he is one happy Defy rider.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Just picked up a Defy 1 at the weekend. Only one ride on it so far but I’m well chuffed. I’m still a newbie to road bikes but I got back home thinking how comfy, fast, stable & responsive it is. Basically everything you read in the reviews is true for once. Might invest in some mudguards next month & the tyres could possibly be upgrades, but apart from that, bang on 🙂

Kryton57

As an update, I’ve jusy completed a training plan on mine over the summer, guards are on and its doing me OK for winter riding too. I bought the 3 from Pedalon and got the guards free. Awesome bike for £680 IMO. It really is a good bike – and I’m comparing with a Bianchi Sempre Ultegra sunday best.

Here it is in winter mode:

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just picked up a Defy Carbon 3 but not had a proper ride on it yet. I’ve ridden it round the block a few times and out to the shops. It feels great I must say. Coming off a CAAD8 I wasn’t expecting it to be too different but it does feel different. It sort of feels slacker in geometry and the ride is less ‘harsh’. Not that the CAAD8 is a harsh ride, but the Defy certainly feels as stiff but has some compliance in it – I guess that must be the Carbon. Weight wise it doesn’t feel much if any lighter than the CAAD8, but it does ‘ride lighter’ if that makes sense. Anyway, my first impressions are that it is very very nice and i’m really looking forward to a first proper ride to see if my initial impressions stack up over a longer distance. I hope it does as it was a bit of an impulsive purchase via the C2W scheme as I was perfectly happy with my CAAD8, but if the initial impressions hold true its a justified impulse purchase. It certainly look a think of beauty with the aero shaped seat post and cut-away seat tube.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Anyone riding a Defy’ is closed to new replies.