Anyone ride near Arrochar? looking for decent routes.

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone ride near Arrochar? looking for decent routes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone ride near Arrochar? looking for decent routes.
  • cameron99999

Hi everyone

My mate has invited me to stay near Arrochar in a few weeks but we havent ridden anything near here before. We were hoping someone may know of some decent trails in the area. We have two full days riding to fill so any advice on a full day trail or possibly just 1/2 day routes would be great. We have a Garmin 800 so even if its a tricky one to stay on as long was i can find a GPX we should be sweet.

Thanks in advance

i guess the obvious candidates are

a) the ‘glen loin’ loop.

b) a loop of the the ardgartan penninsula.

as for gpx i dont know, but there was a route map of the glen loin loop in ‘mountain bike rider’ magazine a few years back so maybe worth searching out the relevant files.

as for the argartan loop again, i dont know of the relevant gpx files but if you are really stuck then the route should be available either on the forestry comm. website or as a leaflet from their ardgartan visitor centre.

if all else fails, the routes are also to be found in

‘bike scotland:book 2 by fergal macerlean’ and

‘loch lomond and the trossachs…by paul and helen webster’

good luck! 8)

Premier Icon iainc

Nice wee extension to the glen loin loop now by starting down at tarbet station. One of my fave handy natural trails

+1 for Glen Loin loop,some crackin singletrack at the bottom end of the loop heading back into Arrochar.

Riding up and down Ben Lomond is good, as is playing around between Ben Narnairn and The Cobbler (although it may be a bit snowy up there now).

Ardgarten loop is pretty good, great views but bring your climbing legs as it over 3,500ft of ascent. Stick to the Dukes Path and do it clockwise. Mostly fire roads but some nice singletrack from the Lochan to Gairlochhead, but then the long slog back up the fire road till the descent back to the Forestry Comission car park – 1 mile beyond the campsite on the right. For a full day, combine this with the Glen Loin Loop, start at the main car park in Arrochar at the head of Loch Long and up the switchbacks and turn left at the mast.

Some great scenery and views.

Consider also the Three Lochs Way, not done that one, but it is on my radar.

Premier Icon flyingmm

Thinking of doing your suggestion wallace1492 as a figure of 8 this sat am to get some miles under the belt. How long did the ardgarten route take? Anyone know what the conditions are like at the mo – are ice tyres a good idea?

@cameron99999 – is what I’m planning on following

@iainc – like the sound of that extension, is there a maze of tracks or is it obvious where to head?

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciated. Some of these look appealing. Has anyone done the Glenbranter trails?? if so whats your thoughts?time, direction, etc?

Thanks again.

+1 for Glen Loin Loop, wee favourite of mine 😀 , theres also some proper singletrack on the right hand side as you go up the hill, marked by a small cairn, have to be vigilant right enough to spot it, also means another climb back up the hill, but well worth it 🙂

and my mum loves it when you post your pictures on their facebook page.

Premier Icon flyingmm

Have you been yet cameron99999 or can anyone help – going to try the ardgarten loop, but not sure about the directions. Found this pdf (, which shows a circuit, but wallace1492 mentioned the duke’s pass, which looks like the path straight across from ardgarten to lochgoilhead ( Which would you recommend?

Can’t help with that sorry. I’ve been to Glenbranter – it was very pleasant but not a very long route and not much singletrack. Found some of the way marking a bit confusing though so I may have missed something.

argaten loop info from an old blog of mine

iainc – can you elaborate on the extension from tarbet to arrochar?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride near Arrochar? looking for decent routes.’ is closed to new replies.