Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone ride a Epic Evo
  • tails
    Free Member

As per the title really, how much of a beating can they take as the bottom of the downtube looks a bit slim, although I’m not a jumper I’ll happily go into rock gardens at pace.

Also does it use bushings in place of bearings? How do these hold up in real life as my only experience with bushings is with some pedals. Are bushings normal on full suss bikes.

Many pedal strikes?

I’d be using it as a trail bike rather than XC racer.

Cheers

tails
    Free Member

Bump

feed

Can’t help with your actual query (but this is STW so that shouldn’t stop me from posting 🙂 ). I was in the market for the same and narrowed it down to a choice between the Epic Evo Comp and the Orbea Oiz M10 TR, https://www.orbea.com/ie-en/bicycles/mountain/oiz/cat/oiz-m10-tr

In the end went for the Orbea as it just seemed much more bike for the money, and with the lockout better for the odd XC race (my requirement, not yours). Might be worth considering, can’t tell you how it actually rides though as mine won’t be delivered until March !!!!

The Specialized Epic Evo Comp just seemed a very poor spec for the money. Over £4k and cheapest of cheap Shimano hubs and SLX components (SLX is fine but would expect XT on a £4.5k bike).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jonno

There is a review in the latest issue of the magazine, might be of interest?

tails
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies I’ll have a look at the magazine. I’m more window shopping than anything, already got an occam which is a mega bike but just not getting used enough partly due to the location I live in, partly being unorganised. Sure Spesh are not good value, not sure why they’ve taken that route as they don’t have the same fan base of Santa Cruz or warranty.

I’ll look at the oiz head angle

Frankers
    Free Member

Me and mate tested one before buying new Xc bikes. We really couldn’t get on with the brain shock. When it activated it made a knock, almost like the rear wheel riding up a curb.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Yep, contrary to early reports of the knock’s demise, it’s very much alive. Maybe slightly worse than some older models.

The Evo model without the Brain pedals very well anyway so not sure there’s really a downside to going with that over the XC version. Value for money ain’t good since they put the prices up. Owners manual indicates 8 cartridge bearings for pivots.

tails
    Free Member

Thanks, yes there evo doesn’t have a brain. Really I’ll stay put with my occam or at least give it more of a thrashing first. I’m definitely more towards the XC side of trail riding to enduro side.

Where did you test them? @Frankers

Cheers

mboy
    Free Member

Not ridden one, but was looking at one in Spesh concept store not long ago. I’ve got a Rocky Mountain Element already, and the beefed up XC bike (new marketing term “Downcountry” if you will) is very much the kind of bike that most of us should be riding most of the time… Spesh being Spesh, it’s very overpriced for what you get, but they do look good…

However… Rear tyre clearance is woeful! Forget it being a useful UK 4 season trail bike, it’s a sunny conditions XC bike with fast rolling tyres only kind of bike I concluded by the proximity said tyre to its surroundings!

Frankers
    Free Member

@tails mate borrowed it from Specialized shop at Birmingham

lawman91

Hadn’t realised the Epic had gone up so much in price! In true STW recommend your ownstyle, it’d be hard to overlook the Transition Spur if you have that kind money. Compared to the Epic comp it’s lighter, better wheels, better wheels and the geometry is more up to date. It’s a wild bike. It’s so fast up and down, downhill it feels way more like a trail bike or even a longer travel trail bike than the weight and travel suggest.

tails
    Free Member

They are pricy considering I doubt they have the resale of Santa Cruz or transition. Fair bit lighter than either the spur or tallboy. Especially the tallboy, nice bike but weight for down country

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a Epic Evo’ is closed to new replies.