• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone ride a 2019 Chromag Rootdown and is it worth the spondoolies?
  • devbrix
    Free Member

Looking to build a fairly aggro (longer, slacker, etc, etc) 29er steel hardtail and can’t decide on the frame. Been looking at the Chromag Rootdown instead of the Stanton Switch9er. On at £640 on Pedals at the mo so competitive to the Stanton. Any feedback welcome!

flyingmonkeycorps

Met a guy at Greno back end of last year that had one and loved it. Think he’d tried a few similar, can’t remember if he mentioned the Stanton.

Not sure if that’s much help.

DrP

I’ve an older rootdown I need to move on… M/l I think…
    It’s not AS slack, but a great frame…

Would be less spondoolies! (free’hundred posted, if interested..)

DrP

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tmb467
    Free Member

Got a 2015 Surface (the handbuilt version of the Rootdown) now with 160mm Lyriks and a 2 deg
    angleset

It’s without doubt one of the most fun bikes I’ve ever had

pigyn
    Free Member

Nice to know someone has seen my sale frames 😀

Most have gone locally, seem to be struggling a bit with online visibility this year! Down to our last two M/L, perfect for me at 5 9. They have changed quite a bit in the last few years, really nice frames. Very well built and a lot of fun to ride.

Also going to be doing a pre order on the 2020 frames that are about three weeks away, £699 on all frames with a deposit down before they ship 🤟 Colours are similar but the blue is lighter, small geo changes.

BillOddie

I have a 2014 era Rootdown, bloody love it.

Geo isn’t as LLS as current version so make of that what you will.

The only negatives are as follows:

1) you have to run a lovely but not cheap Chromag stem, bar, grips, seatclamp , saddle, etc…because it’s the rules.

2) you saying “eh”, aboot” etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPX3lEIS4bo

devbrix
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Have Boost wheels and forks so will need the newer frame DrP. Have an old Chromag saddle for the bike so hope I’ll not be breaking too many rules with the rest of my kit BillOddie. Really interested in 2020 version have you any pics, geo details pigyn and whether they’ve changed the BB shell at all as have non-dub cranks to fit and would prefer non-pushfit!?

pigyn
    Free Member

BB shell is the same, it really is needed to get the clearance with the chainstay length, once you see it all makes sense. They use every mm of width!

There are really good solutions for all cranks, certainly wouldn’t let it put you off. They are well sized and honed in Whistler, so the tolerances are spot on. I can’t put any picture details up on here as the shots aren’t ready yet, if you use Instagram or FB pop into our DMs and I can show you the colour and chat about the geo 😁

LeeW

Is yours still up for sale drP?

haggis1978

Can’t comment on the Rootdown but I’ve got a Samurai 65 and it’s been superb. Chromag know how to knock some tubes together. Mine is stripped and for sale just now whilst I wait on my Stanton Switch9er to arrive. Been waiting on it since September right enough so it better be bloody good!

DrP

Is yours still up for sale drP?

Lee, yeah it is…

I’ll PM you!

DrP

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ride a 2019 Chromag Rootdown and is it worth the spondoolies?’ is closed to new replies.