Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Anyone ridden the new Orange Stage evo yet?
  • mildred

Ticks quite a few boxes for me but struggling to find a review. There a very wishy washy launch articles but that’s about it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Since this post has been greeted with tumbleweed, I’m going to share my review of my Stage 4 with you – which I’m modified with an angle-adjust headset and longer fork so it’s very close to the Evo’s geometry.

http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-orange-stage-4-the-lockdown-lifesaver/

Based on riding the S4, I would expect the Stage Evo to be a fantastic bike – assuming you appreciate the single-pivot suspension.

chestrockwell

I’ve got a 2020 Stage 5 so also similar. It’s ace, best bike I’ve had! Steep seat tube puts you in a really natural pedalling position and it covers ground effortlessly. Get one!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mildred

Thanks fellas, much appreciated. 👍🏻

chiefgrooveguru

chapaking, I’m far more in need of time to ride bikes than a need to buy bikes but you do write good reviews!

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers Chief, that’s really nice of you to say.

I do make an effort to convey how the bikes actually ride, including on the flat, which I think a lot of reviewers neglect.

And limiting myself to one every six months or so probably helps.

😀

nickingsley
    Free Member

@chapaking useful review, thank you.

I’ve noticed Orange restricting the mix’n’match options for 2021 🙁

Any further updates on riding the Stage Evo anyone as I am thinking of moving on from the excellent O4?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Hi Chapaking
    Ive just picked up a Stage 4 frameset and interested in the angleset idea- can you let me have the detail of which one is needed please as I konw i will order the wrong one if left to my own devices….. TIA

chakaping
    Free Member

Here you go, Superstar one I got: Slackerizer Angle Headset – 2 Degree – UK Made
    T6-3 ZS49/EC49 110-120mm Taper Steerer

Works great with a 130mm fork.

You may need to check the head tube length on your frame, mine was a large.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Cheers ears- mine is a large also

nickingsley
    Free Member

Any other Stage Evo rider contributions or are they just priced out of the market?

poah
    Free Member

seriously expensive for a file cabinet

nickingsley
    Free Member

seriously expensive for a file cabinet

🤦‍♂️

chakaping
    Free Member

25% off everything at Superstar, if anyone’s after one of the headsets.

Poah – you forgot your usual “lol”, I suppose someone has to laugh at your rapier wit

AndrewL

I had been looking at the stage 4 and now the stage evo as a potential new bike. It looks good but seems very spendy!

Was in fresh goods Friday a few weeks ago so presumably some form of singletrack review coming in next few months?

nickingsley
    Free Member

Was in fresh goods Friday a few weeks ago so presumably some form of singletrack review coming in next few months?

🤞

nickingsley
    Free Member

At last
    A start and sounds fun but doesn’t give a hint whether it’s an all day mtb for long ups and downs which my current Orange Four is outstanding for 🤔

chakaping
    Free Member

It almost certainly is, don’t worry.

Have you tried a 29er before?

chiefgrooveguru

“all day mtb for long ups and downs which my current Orange Four is outstanding for”

Well it’s got bigger wheels and is little different in any other ways that’ll affect how good it is at big days – so it’ll definitely be better at them.

nickingsley
    Free Member

It almost certainly is, don’t worry.

Have you tried a 29er before?

Tried a 29er, nope still use a 26” ss more than any other bike. Others are 27.5 but remember mate on Stage6 steadily rolling ahead of me on a 27.5 Capra down a bumpy/babies head descent.

nickingsley
    Free Member

and is little different in any other ways

2’ slacker head angle, steeper seat tube and longer reach must surely mean quite a change in character 🤔

tall_martin

I had a segment. That morphed into the stage 4 which has morphed into the Evo.

I put a longer fork on and wished for a longer stroke shock. The Evo has that.

I’m on a geometron now so the longer top tube of the Evo would be ace.

The segment rear end cracked and was replaced with no questions or hassle. I’d have another orange, but not without a warranty. I have a clockwork 120 in the garage which is ace and in warranty.

ayjaydoubleyou

From that wideopen review:

Without wanting to sound like a broken record, the rear tyre was a real chink in an otherwise solid spec list. It is a cheap, dual compound Maxxis DHRII 2.4 in EXO casing. At £5,500 you would expect to see a 3C compound on a bike this capable and to be honest, given how fast and gnarly this bike is, it would be good to see an EXO+ rear tyre fitted, if not a pair of them. To protect the rear rim and to prevent punctures you have to run the rear in the high 20s psi, reducing grip and on trail control.

What a bizarre conclusion to draw on a 120/130 trail bike.
    Yes everyone rides in different areas, but as a standard/do it all spec a dual compound exo at high 20s pressure (for a normal sized adult male) is pretty much the ideal for an all day trail bike surely.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the stage 4 in standard geometry and with a -2deg headset and it doesn’t substantially impact how well it covers ground.

It does it very well in both forms.

I really think you’ll find it more agreeable for all day rides than the Four.

chiefgrooveguru

“ 2’ slacker head angle, steeper seat tube and longer reach must surely mean quite a change in character 🤔”

It’ll change how it goes downhill (better), and corners (better), and goes uphill (better apart from the tightest turns) and make sod all difference to how effectively it covers ground.

chiefgrooveguru

“ Yes everyone rides in different areas, but as a standard/do it all spec a dual compound exo at high 20s pressure (for a normal sized adult male) is pretty much the ideal for an all day trail bike surely.”

And that tyre in particular is fantastic. Exo+ and maybe 3C on the longer travel version but not this one as stock.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have been OK with dual compound exo tyres on the rear of trail bikes before, but perhaps Ben’s comment related to the £5.6k price tag for the bike.

I’d prefer a 3C maxxterra on the back for that, and probably exo+.

Saccades
    Free Member

If we are going back to the segment…

I do 24/12 every year and it used to be on an xc FS race machine (26″) with my aim to be completing 100 miles in 12 hours.

The best result was 97 miles in a long 12 hours.

In 2019 I bought a segment and managed 101 miles in under 12 hours on a course with more climbing. If I’d been more aware of timings I could have completed 2 more laps on a long 12 (16 miles).

The only changes for a long day out were adding some eargon gp2 grips and spec ground ground control rubber.

It’s properly rapid.

nickingsley
    Free Member

^ IT incompetence prevented me posting up a decent photo of my new(ish) Stage Evo.

Though only a relatively short shakedown ride yesterday, the biggest and most obvious change from my Orange Four is the amount of extra grip, just point and shoot.

The Pike Ultimate RC2 is excellent to, though in a weak moment I treated it to a Oneup bar 😊

Looking forward to some bigger tests as lockdown eases.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden the new Orange Stage evo yet?’ is closed to new replies.