Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • tall_martin

Very nice!

mboy
    Free Member

That looks very nice mboy, but you might have just gone over the permissable amount of accent colour there.

Might be getting reined in soon with different wheels without the Orange hubs or rim logos. Possibly grips too. I already had all the Orange bits off my last bike, and as luck would have it, this frame came with Orange linkage and cable clamps already…

Is it a medium or large? The geo is surprisingly close to my non-Geometron enduro bike.

Medium. It’s pretty close to many 2021 Enduro bikes in a Large size geometry wise I’d say.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers, yes, my large Radon Swoop is virtually the same but with 15mm less reach and I have no idea what the wheelbase is.

The rim stickers would be first on my hit list, and I reckon it’d be sweet then.

No point changing the crank boots for the sake of it, but if they needed replacing I’d probably go black.

Hope you’ve got some matching orange clobber to wear with it.

the_lecht_rocks

Well……Aftervover 10 years of continuous Nicolai ownership, I have pulled the trigger on a new G1 hybrid 29/27.5

I had a massive cycling accident last September..
    5 broken ribs
    Shattered collarbone
    Broken shoulder..

Hoping the G1 will offer more front end grip and reliance to avoid another masssive washout…… We will see !

tetrode
    Free Member

I’ve booked a demo day at their HQ for next month for the G1. Pretty excited for it! Would be looking at the 29er version, any tips or things to look out for before I try it?

blakec
    Free Member

If you’re not use to Long low slack. it will take a bit of getting used to as your body position will need to change.

Trust in the team they are very knowledgeable and know their stuff.

Do give them as much feed back as you can.

Full 29er you need to be a bit more aggressive with the steering.

Don’t rull out the mullet setup its worth trying it.

sharkattack

Do you like doing wheelies or bunnyhops? Might have to go back to school on that front.

blakec
    Free Member

Do you like doing wheelies or bunnyhops? Might have to go back to school on that front.

It can be done but takes a bit more technique. If my 45kg 12 year old can do it its not all about strength

tetrode
    Free Member

Couldn’t care less about wheelies and manuals for the sake of manualling. If I can still send it off drops I’m happy.

I can’t even bunnyhop on my relatively conservative Jeffsy and it hasn’t impacted my enjoyment of the bike.

tetrode
    Free Member

Another question! Has anyone got the G1 with the Formula forks? I’ve not heard or seen much about them at all apart from the fact that they are very tuneable. If I end up liking the bike on the test day I’ll probably get the stock XT build which comes with them, so would be good to hear any opinions on the fork.

SirHC

The G1 I demoed had the Formula forks, they felt good, no complaints about them. A mate has them on his G1 and got on with them really well.

29/29 covers ground better, 29/27.5 is more nimble through the corners and more forgiving (doesn’t stand up when you get on the brakes)

No different to any other gnarpoon.

honourablegeorge

I haven’t tried the mullet, SirHC, but have herd lots of folks liking it. Worth a go? I stil have a bunch of 27.5 tyres lying about.

SirHC

Worth asking the Geometron team if it can be tried during the test ride. Takes me 10 mins for me to swap out the seat stay spacers, swap a cassette over.

Where do you normally ride?

mboy
    Free Member

Hoping the G1 will offer more front end grip and reliance to avoid another masssive washout…… We will see !

Only if you’re more active with shifting your weight about. My first trail on the G1 demo bike, I felt the front wheel pushing on a couple of times (managed to save it though) until I started actively moving my weight forward more in the turns.

Another question! Has anyone got the G1 with the Formula forks?

I tried them. Wasn’t blown away by them (but then my 36’s are far from stock), they felt decent but perhaps slightly undergunned for the front of a G1 to me. If you can stretch to it, spend the extra on the EXT ERA fork and you won’t be disappointed… FWIW, local shop to me sells Formula and runs them on some of their demo fleet (also sells EXT now too), he echoed my sentiments pretty much saying they’re a superb fork for a mid travel trail bike.

tetrode
    Free Member

If you can stretch to it, spend the extra on the EXT ERA fork and you won’t be disappointed

They do seem amazing but an extra £420 on top of an already expensive £5800 is a bit rich for my blood unfortunately.

I do kind of want to have a 170mm fork which the 29 version of the Formula Selva doesn’t do apparently, but I suppose I can test it out and talk with the guys at Geometron to see what my options might be.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Late to the party here. It appears that most folk are on to the G1.
    Last year I got a long G16, at 6ft I should have been on the longer or longest. I have been riding Nicolai Ions for a long time so it was a nice upgrade for me. I wasn’t expecting it to feel hugely different to the Large 27.5 Ion I was on before. But it does.

Built it straight up as 29F /27.5R

null

Its confidence inspiring that’s for sure. I cant say if I’m faster or slower on this bike, as I don’t use anything timing wise. But I think I am quicker through certain sections of the trail. Its also a good climber despite its heft.

I might be tempted to see what the longer and the longest feel like as the long (small) was a safe bet. Next time im in wales I will certainly treat myself to a demo

My only niggle is that the majority of people talk about not hanging off the back of the bike to make it work. An easy way to do that is to run no spacers under the stem and a low rise bar to encourage the weight forward (especially when running a 29″ on the front). However in doing this the first crash will see the shifter smashed into a million pieces against the top tube or a ding in the top tube. Probably not so much of an issue with the triple clamps these bikes started life with back in the MOJO days

sharkattack

I’m bringing back the mega thread. Is anyone still out there puzzling and experimenting?

My G16 has been pretty much unchanged for nearly 4 years and I need a new shock. The EXT Storia is the obvious, if most expensive choice.

I’ve had a Fox X2 in 216×63 giving me 155mm travel. I was thinking of swinging the little shock nugget around 180 degrees and squeezing in a 222×70 EXT giving me 175mm of travel.

Has anyone run both travel settings and can comment on how it affects the all round ability of the bike?

The bike is already a monster over roughage, so it’ll just be even better right?
    It’ll be a much better DH bike when I’m doing uplifts and Alpine holiday stuff.

I’m just worried that the extra sag will make it even lower and slacker and more of a beast when I’m in dreary, bridleway purgatory. It’s never felt like a nimble, agile trail bike. I don’t want to fully monster truck it.

Should I just buy an EXT and stick at 155mm?

EDIT: Just a thought but it’s a shame they don’t make a linkage for the G16 which allows you to run the full fat Storia with the eyelet bearings.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Im running an EXT at 155mm – also ridden a friends bike with a Fox x2 in 170mm mode. We both agreed the EXT was better.

The EXT is definitely recommended, It holds itself up in the travel nicely and also has a lock out for fireroads etc. The guys at MOJO set them up really well for weight etc.

tetrode
    Free Member

I’ve had my G1 for a couple of months now and it’s awesome. I did have to tweak the EXT a bit since the guys at Geometron set it up with a soft spring, but added a ton of HSC which made it feel super harsh on rough stuff. I went up a spring rate, took off pretty much all HSC and it feels incredible now. Supportive, insane small bump sensitivity, soaks up big hits like nothing.

sharkattack

I know the EXT will be superior to the X2 in terms of suspension quality. Hopefully it’ll be more reliable.

It’s just that if anything, I’d like to make the bike more lively on the trail. So while I’m tempted to run the longer shock for max travel I’m worried it’ll make it even more dull and squishy.

the guys at Geometron set it up with a soft spring, but added a ton of HSC which made it feel super harsh on rough stuff

That’s bizarre. Did they say why they did this?

boltonjon

“Supportive, insane small bump sensitivity, soaks up big hits like nothing”

100% agree – what a shock!

a11y

Holy shit, a 50-page thread for me to read up on – I’ve recently built up a secondhand G15 frame and off to a good start. First experience of this sort of geometry. Much experimentation still to be done but impressed from the outset.

https://tinyurl.com/36xnjvxnG15

tetrode
    Free Member

That’s bizarre. Did they say why they did this?

I don’t know really, I think that’s how they like to set up all their bikes. I suppose it does help with going fast, but I like it plusher rather than being able to shave off a second or two through HSC. I don’t really go fast enough to benefit from using any!

steveh

A friend has a cheapish fox coil in the bigger size he bought to use occasionally but didn’t take off in the end.

sharkattack

Just checking in…

I have an EXT Storia on the way. Short version was sold out so the decision was made for me. I’m going up to 175mm. If it’s as good as people say, why not have as much of it as possible?

Now both options are showing as out of stock so I’m glad I sat there late at night typing my credit card details in even though I had a 7 week old baby screaming the house down. I really wanted to close the laptop and go back the next day but I would have missed out and remained shockless.

Also got some faster tyres coming so should be riding next week.

I know the Fox 36 is going to feel even worse now in comparison so if I can actually get some regular riding back in my life I fancy a Selva Coil eventually.

tetrode
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll regret going to 175mm. I’ve been running it since getting my G1 and haven’t thought I’ve needed to go to 162mm.

Another question – anyone know if a fidlock uni mount and 450ml bottle would fit inside the longest (large) frame?

singlespeedstu

Fidlock only fits the XL G1.
    Still searching for a bottle solution for mine.

mboy
    Free Member

I know the Fox 36 is going to feel even worse now in comparison so if I can actually get some regular riding back in my life I fancy a Selva Coil eventually.

Why such a downer on Fox…? Don’t get me wrong, they need some work setting them up, but I’ll go as far as to say currently, I still prefer the 36’s I have on my G15 to the EXT ERA’s on my eBike. OK, they’re far from stock, but having ridden a Selva and knowing how maintenance heavy they are for those who have bought them, I wouldn’t be ditching a 36 for one…

It’s just that if anything, I’d like to make the bike more lively on the trail.

I have an EXT Storia on the way. Short version was sold out so the decision was made for me. I’m going up to 175mm. If it’s as good as people say, why not have as much of it as possible?

I think if you’re trying to make the bike livelier, going from an air shock to a coil and also increasing the travel and stroke length, you are setting yourself up for a disappointment! The G16 with a 222mm Storia is going to track the ground like nothing else (short of a G1 at least), but it’ll feel a bit “stuck down” if you ask me.

Rik
    Free Member

Any mutator G13 large or geometron Longest for sale?

tall_martin

Another question – anyone know if a fidlock uni mount and 450ml bottle would fit inside the longest (large) frame?

I’ve bodged a bottle cage that takes a 750mm bottle cage inside the frame of my extra longest G13 if that helps?

I have a bottle cage that the cage can slide up or down on bits that attach to the bottle bosses. One bolt goes into the cable management hole and the other end is ziptied on.

singlespeedstu

There’s a lot more room for a bottle on my G13 than my G1.
    500 fidlock fits fine on a large G13.
    Won’t even fit in the frame without the mount on the G1

G13's.

a11y

I guess this was inevitable. Been riding my new (to me) G15 a lot over the past few weeks, then rode my Tallboy 3 instead and it’s been ruined for me! ! The Tallboy’s slack SA meant it always wandered around on the climbs, compounded by the significant seatpost extension I have (187cm on an XL), but I notice it wandering much worse now that I’ve been Geometron’d. Might be time to replace it.

I’m looking for something with a similar approach to Geometron but less travel (100-120mm) with geometry to match.

Keen for any suggestions.

(I’m looking at the Cotic FlareMAX gen4 but not sure what else is similar…)

honourablegeorge

Saturn 14?

SirHC

Whats wrong with the G15?

a11y

Saturn 14?

Thanks. Taken a look but probably too close to my G15. Also looked at the Saturn 11 but that’s got relatively (for a Nicolai) conservative geometry.

Whats wrong with the G15?

Apologies I wasn’t the clearest. Nothing wrong with my G15 other than spoiling my enjoyment of my Tallboy! The G15’s great and fits me so well that I now think there might be something that suits me better than my Tallboy. Hoping others with Geometron leanings might be able to make some suggestions.

SirHC

Sell the tallboy, keep the G15 and spend the money on a nice set of wheels. You’ll be surprised how well the g15 covers ground, ridden my G1 with xc wheels and round a local xc loop its no different to my xc bike (smuggler)

a11y

Not sure I’m ready for N-1. Only briefly considered going down to one bike but I like having a back-up/second bike just in case. Plus I’m keen for something less gnar for bothy trips etc – I’d rather have a dedicated shorter-travel bike than two wheelsets on my Geometron.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@a11y I would say Norco Optic if you can find one..

aldo56
    Free Member

I’m looking at a g16 frame just now in size Medium/Longer – does that sound sensible at 180cm?

thepodge
    Free Member

Saturn 11 with custom geo

Viewing 40 posts - 1,961 through 2,000 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.