Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

aldo, bilbo , use scotchbrite pads unless you do actually want to polish it. Normally comes supplied with one.

Just use it if you get any oxidisation or marks. no other maintenance required.

ndthornton, it sounds like you may have one of the original longer travel models with the extended chainstay to accommodate the longer shock. It isn’t necessary to leave it in the less slack position but you do need to be careful with the BB height and to set the bike up accordingly.

If you switch the chip over to low and check the height that will tell you. You don’t want to go lower than 333mm really and at that it’s best to ensure the shock is set up around 20-25% sag or to balance the compression damping to give the right dynamic ride height fo the terrain and riding style ou have (if you are excellent at managing pedal position and not on undulating pedally terrain you may be fine with a lower dynamic ride height etc…)

Chainline
    Free Member

Far too quiet on here… Because the weathers shit?

tall_martin

Still loving mine 🙂

Possibly less people looking at buying frames at this time of year?

sofaking
    Free Member

Still love my G16, I love it that much I have acquired a G13 second hand to compliment it but not got my hands on it yet.

roll on the dryer weather

sharkattack

I’ve been in hibernation more than ever this year. It feels like winter has been 4 years long.

I’m off to Wales tomorrow though. First ever trip to BMCC followed by another day at BPW.

Still love the bike though. Sometimes I just sit in the garage and twist all the knobs.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Chainline, why do you/mojo run such bonkers rebound settings?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/vorsprung-tuesday-tune-ep-21-low-high-speed-rebound-video.html

You can see from the Vorsprung that the closing the low speed rebound and opening up the high speed ends up with a really whack rebound curve, to slow on the small stuff and too bouncey deep in the stroke.

If anything, you should be doing it the other way around – getting the fastest low speed rebound that you can and tuning the HSR until deep compressions don’t buck you.

steveh

Has anyone run a cane creek double barrel shock on their g16? I’ve got one to try for use in place of the X2 when conditions suit and hoped someone might have some set up tips.

edd

Just curious what you mean by the following?

when conditions suit

Aren’t CCDB and X2 shocks pretty comparable? (Both are piggyback shocks with independently adjustable HSC, LSC, HSR and LSR.)

steveh

Coil is different to air though. Even on base set up there is notable extra grip. Uplifts, Alps, even trips to the Tweed valley potentially. So when I feel like it in short.

edd

Fair enough, hadn’t realised one was coil and one air.

Chainline
    Free Member

In CP’s words; Because it’s not true high speed adjustment. It’s a preloaded valve adjustment. The only way to make the transition from high speed to low smooth is to remove the preload from the high speed valve…

ganic
    Free Member

So I want a long 29er.  G16, G15 or a Pole Evo link 158?

Does anyone use 29″ wheels in the G16?  Thoughts?

Thank you!

blakec
    Free Member

I had 29 wheels on a mojo g16. But changed it to they hybrid setup as it’s easier to turn in. With 29 front and rear it feels like it’s taking mor effort to turn the front wheel.

the next upgrade I’m looking at is the evil air can for the x2. Which can take up to 300psi anyone tried it yet?

Chainline
    Free Member

ganic, I can’t answer which, they are a little different. yes I have and do still use 29 wheels though not all the time, a number of owners are running 29.

I personally wouldn’t go with a G15 over a G16 (flexibility, tyre clearance, intrinsic HA and SA) unless you are committed to 29 wheels in which case with the addition of an angle set it can deliver the same angles as a G16 and be great. But that is a personal position as ever, some may prefer the G15 angles, it is essentially a long travel G13 and many are super happy with it, including some guiding companies (Rivierabike springs to mind)

The thing as ever, is to try and ride them and see which you prefer. Especially true of trying a hybrid 27.5/29 in my experience lately as many are surprised by how it rides.

The Pole and GeoMetron have quite different suspension designs and ride feel as a result of that, although not particularly different geometry to the G15 but different to G16.

honourablegeorge

Curous about the G13 vs the G16 – anyone spent time on both?

Use my hardtail for a lot of less gnarly stuff, trail centres, etc, where I the G16 is a bit overkill. Like the idea of a G13 as a lighter, more trail oriented bike ,but not sure it would actually be that much lighter or be all that different.

sofaking
    Free Member

hounourablegeorge, I have just bought a second hand g13 to compliment my g16 as a lighter more trail oriented bike but not had chance to compare yet, will reply again in a couple of weeks once I have feedback

honourablegeorge

Thanks sk… got eyes out for a second hand longest frame myself

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Saw a couple of guys going fast on G13’s and G16’s at the SES event at Laggan. Plenty of folk curious about the bikes….

Shandy
    Free Member

I have had the G13 for about a year. Obviously it depends how you build them, but they do feel quite different and lighter/easier to pedal than the G16 27.5.

If you are looking for an “XC” version of the G16 they are hard to beat. I have done quite a lot of big days out on mine and used it round local loops and trail centres. If you want to have something more efficient for really long rides, or fast for an hour flat-out, they’re great.

Over the last couple of years I’ve got a lot fitter which has meant I’ve become less bothered about easy pedalling. I’ve also got a bit bored with “XC” rides and I’m nearly always riding steeper/rougher trails, so I’ve ended up with a hybrid G16.

The G13 is a Longest with a -2 works headset, 34s, Traildog carbon wheels, XT, 170mm Reverb. I’ve been meaning to list it for sale for a while as a complete bike but I would probably be prepared to split it if I had to.

slowboydickie

I just bought a 2nd hand G13 and had my first trip on it to Cwm Carn.  We did both XC loops then spent the afternoon doing uplifts on the downhill trails. It did both very well though for the latter trails I was left wondering what the LT version would feel like.

@Chainline
    , what shocks would you recommend?

ganic
    Free Member

I went with the G16 in XL.  Running it as full 29er with 216×63 shock in 222 position.  BB is 345mm, head angle must be near 62 degrees which makes me abit concerned for forks bushing life.  A to C of fork is 568mm.

Does anyone know the maxle size needed to replace the stock bolt-thru for the rear, I know it’s 12×148 but is it 182 or 188?  I suppose I could just measure…….

So far so good, just need to sort out a water bottle.

It climbs much better than I thought it would.

Chainline
    Free Member

Climbs great 😉

Keep on top of lower services and make sure to use some additional lube between the bushes when assembling. You can also swop foam rings for a packing of slickhoney or similar to enhance smoothness (assmuming a Fox fork.

honourablegeorge

I’m finding myself wanting a bottle cage on my G16 more and more.

I was going to go with the Specialized side load cage with one bolt on the top cable stop and some cable ties, liek the pic below – but then stumbles on this thing – the Wolf Tooth B-Rad

Wondering if I could put the longest B-Rad along the downtube, bolted to two of the cable guides – then mount a bottle to it in similar position to the pic. Lot of bother to avoid the cable tie solution, maybe.

tall_martin

hi all,

My g13 was making a clunking sound under hard pedaling. 1 bolt check and it’s the drive side chainsaw pivot which is rattling

Tightening it up, the bolts tighten and stay tight, the bearing is smooth, but the bearing is rattling on the bearing .

I guess the solution is a new bolt that goes through the bearing?

I am riding the south downs way this weekend, will wrapping the bolt in ptfe/ electrical tape take up the slack for 100 miles?

Any suggestions welcome!

tall_martin

Honorable George

I ran a cage with one bolt in the cable stop and one zip tie.

It was fine for me, but the zip tie did look a bit bodged 🙂

honourablegeorge

Thanks Martin – I measured up, there’s 300mm between the stops, so the longest B-RAD is too short for what I wanted to do anyhow.

Goig to go with the Specialied Zee cage as per pic above, with the janky cable ties

Chainline
    Free Member

@tall_martin

I’ve never come across this! Suggest a discussion with Paul or Marcel at Geometron.

jes
    Free Member

Any one on a Ion 16 GPI.. …………

If so how many miles are you getting out of a belt?

bilbo
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge

How did you get on with the bottle cage in the end? did you end up with the Spesh option?

Going through similar thought process myself

Rubber_Buccaneer

Any one on a Ion 16 GPI.. …………

If so how many miles are you getting out of a belt?

Mine has only done 753.3 miles (according to Strava) and looks used but no plans to change it. It isn’t the bike I do the most miles on but it has seen some horrible muddy conditions so is holding up OK.

honourablegeorge

@bilbo

I bought the cage, but not had a chance to fit it yet, been using a hip pack for now. Will need to be cable ties only, the one cable bolt I hoped to use is too far forward.

If I get time tonight I’ll tie it on and see how it goes.

wrecker
    Free Member

Must say, I am very happy so far with the GLF. Jeez, it sends some pressure through the hands though!

Why the break in the seat stay though? I can’t seem to figure out why this is there.

tall_martin

Wrecker-

Is it so you can use a belt instead of a chain?

wrecker
    Free Member

I thought that but I can’t figure out how this particular feature would work. The chain stay is unbroken. It’s a Pita to get the wedge back in too!

Rubber_Buccaneer

It will be so you can use a belt drive.  You only need one break to get the belt through the chain stay just has to flex to allow the seat stay break to be opened enough to get the belt through

wrecker
    Free Member

Yeah makes sense, especially with the sliding drop outs.

jes
    Free Member

Thanks Buccaneer

zestybeard

Read on here a post about plus size tyres (27.5″) on a G13.

Was thinking of getting a set of wheels and running some on mine.

Has anyone had any success with the clearance on the rear or is it too tight with let’s say a 2.8 tyre?

Chainline
    Free Member

There is enough space for a 2.8 I would suggest. I am not aware of anyone using them on a FS but am aware of their use on the GLF

jes
    Free Member

Tried a wtb 2.8 on the 2016 gpi with the 142 dropouts last weekend.

It fits, with reasonable clearance for summer or low mud conditions.

Unfortunatley though it catches the belt pully arm when the rear is unloaded on the gpi so didnt try riding it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.