Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 2,144 total)
  • Anyone ridden the Mojo Nicolai yet?
  • Chainline
    Free Member

They have been very busy but it may depend on the mail addeess used.

Mail me (address in profile) and I’ll give you a direct address and make sure Paul gets in touch.

scant
    Free Member
    skill77
    Free Member

I’m looking at buying a g16 as I’m really struggling with lower back pain on medium Canyon Strive.

Does anyone know if the much steeper (74.5 vs 77) seat angle and longer reach (458 vs 502) will help the lower back on the climbs?

I’m 5ft10

honourablegeorge

My back definitely suffers less since I got longer bikes.

duir
    Free Member

I’m looking at buying a g16 as I’m really struggling with lower back pain on medium Canyon Strive.

Does anyone know if the much steeper (74.5 vs 77) seat angle and longer reach (458 vs 502) will help the lower back on the climbs?

I’m 5ft10
    I take it you have fiddled with seat position/type? This can make a huge difference to lower spinal pressure. If you are looking for a more stretched out position you may be quite surprised by the Geometron. The combination of short stem and steep seat angle makes for a pretty upright seated pedalling position and I find the extra reach is more noticeable downhill.

That said I have suffered dreadful back pain over the years which I put down to poor geometry but I do not get back pain on my Geometron.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Won’t a longer bike pull you forward and stretch your back more?

Wookster

The back pain esp the lower back is from being hunched over the the hamstrings get tight and whammy! Longer bikes for me make a massive amount of difference and effectively stop this tightness and pain.

Chainline
    Free Member

The riding position also helps the hams on the GeoMetron due to the steep seat angle. One of the reasons tri bikes have steeper angle to reduce tightening/shortening and improve the run.
    So yes it may help you. As other s have mentioned it was a welcome side effect for me too.
    You could try pushing the saddle forward to achieve this effect on your canyon as a test to give you an idea. You will immediately notice a different balance of muscles being engaged in pedalling.

Paul-j

Alot of lower back pain during cycling is from flexion of the spine, so being hunched over on a shorter bike doesn’t help. I ride a longest G16 im 6’2 wth long arms. I recently rode a XL yt Capra my back ached for days after.

The G16 allows you to hold a straight line spine as your hands are further in front of you. When your back is arched on a shorter bike this creates Flexion of the lumbar spine ie arched lower back as such on shorter reach bikes this pulls on your Psoas and Iliacus muscle which is already working hard from lifting your leg up each time.

What I also noticed from riding the Capra was how hunched and harder to breath whist riding it was. I was then raising my head further to look ahead on the trail and noticed how much my traps and neck muscles where working ie resulting in a sore neck.
    I used my 2016 G16 to a 24hr solo mountain mayhem, because the body position was so much better than any thing I had tried other wise. I didn’t get a sore back or neck at all during that race.

It amazes me how this style geometry is getting used more in XC.

skill77
    Free Member

Paul – Thanks. You sound like you know what you are talking about!

I saw an osteopath the other day and he said that I have hypermoblity in my joints especially in my spine.

Therefore arching my back while riding only makes it worse and totally exhausts my back muscles. I’ve also got the tightest hamstring and psoas you can imagine.

I’m hoping the extra room on the Nicolai will give me the space to straighten my back and relieve the pressure.

edd

After some time watching eBay and pinkbike listings for the right frame to come up, I finally bought a 2016, long Geometron frame today. Can’t wait to get it built up and on the trails.

Wookster

Nice one Edd! Loki g forward to seeing the pics!!!

Chainline
    Free Member

Top job edd

nickc

are all the new 27.5 Geomotrons boost back ends now?

steveh

I’ve got a complete longer bike for sale if anyone is looking 2700 with hope throughout.
    I’ve got a long as well and bought this to try out upsizing but prefer the long after some time spent on both.

Chainline
    Free Member

Nickc yes. But with an 83mm BB. So no boost crankset required but need an 83mm B.B. compatible crankset.

honourablegeorge

Chainline – Member
    Nickc yes. But with an 83mm BB. So no boost crankset required but need an 83mm B.B. compatible crankset

What was the logic behind that one? Seems odd to push the chainline out further, 1x tends to benefit from narrower chainline if anything.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m going to guess it was for better tyre clearance and more space between the swingarm bearings = stiffer and more durable

Rubber_Buccaneer

prefer the long after some time spent on both.

Do you mind telling me how tall you are steveh?

edd

One of the reasons that I waited for a 2016 one (which has a 73mm BB) to come up for sale was that I didn’t want a 83mm BB. The 83mm BB limits the cranks that you can use.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone in Scotland got a G13? Mojo haven’t replied to my enquiry but I’m still curious about the bike. Unlikely to go way south for a demo but if any kind STWers had one I could swing a leg over that’d be really useful.

Chainline
    Free Member

Groundskeeperwilly if you msg me your details I’ll give Chris/Paul a nudge.

CheesybeanZ

steveh – Member
    I’ve got a complete longer bike for sale if anyone is looking 2700 with hope throughout.

Bloody hell that sold fast , anyone on here buy it ?

Chainline
    Free Member

It was for bearing spacing and clearance. We figured there were enough 83mm cranks out there and the benefits outweighed downsides.

ayyjayy95
    Free Member

Hi all. Just to let you all know that, having suggested it myself once already, along with seeing a number of request from other posters on this thread, I have created a Facebook Group for Mojo Nicolai Geometron Owners. Please join and post your rides, technical questions and share your passion for all things two wheels!

edd

Any advice on routing the hose for an XT brake with 180mm rear rotor?

Wookster

edd – Member
    Any advice on routing the hose for an XT brake with 180mm rear rotor?

Lots of pics earlier in the thread mate, looks to run down the down tube under the linkage then along the non drive side chainstay.

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline this is probably one for you.

So I have been experimenting with the hybrid set up and it got me wondering. Has anyone tried a 29 up front with 140mm travel with a 216 shock in the high position (155mm).

Chainline
    Free Member

blackec not to my knowledge. We’ve tried most scenario’s but not reducing to 140mm front.

I’d have to think of the angles on that!

I think you’d end up with something close to a 160mm 27.5 std geo at around 77.5 SA and 63 HA by the time you’ve accounted for half degree 29 wheel lift and then the drop and the change to the std position with a similar BB too.

The question might be why? Can you you tell the difference with the hybrid?

blakec
    Free Member

Chainline

Why? Just for the sake of experimenting thought it would be fun to try.

Tried the hybrid initially with two offset bushes and it felt all wrong. Think I met the limit of what I like in terms of slackness. I the replace one of the bushes and it felt good It seams easier to turn the front wheel. with the 29 on both front and back it feels much more physical to turn like you really need to use effort to turn the wheel. where the hybrid turns with what feels like less force. semi convinced hybrid is the way to go. going to do some back to back runs in the new year. to see if it is what I really prefer.

Chainline
    Free Member

Blakec f you are running 155mm 216 shock you don’t need any offset bushes witht he hybrid. just put the chip in the 222 position.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

Hi Chainline, what’re your thoughts on this:
    Sort of got a plan together to try something new with the g13. Going to up my fork travel and fit a 200×57 shock to give me 148mm rear travel. Plan is to get a set of 27.5 plus wheels and some Maxxis 2.8’s which should correct the higher bb created by the longer stroke shock and fork. There should be clearance in the back for a 2.8 I think? Maybe fit a -2 degree headset too.

Gotama
    Free Member

I put a maxxis rekon 2.8 in my G13 out of curiosity and it’s tight, would say there isn’t enough clearance to be rideable.

rollsroyce
    Free Member

ah crap, what width rim was that on? I guess maybe a 2.6 on 27.5 run in high might be ok then.

Gotama
    Free Member

40mm internal. It’s because the tyre doesn’t sit in the yoke area, the sidewall is where the yoke is joined to the stay which is where it’s tight. Even on a narrower rim it would be an issue I think. 2.6 on a 27.5 on a 35mm rim may be ok but you’d be dropping the bb even further.

Wookster

Chainline, have you decided that the 40’s were not the way to go?

Seems to have been lots of changes since those posts!! Cheers!!

rollsroyce
    Free Member

I think I know what you mean Gotama.
    Having done some research and calcs I’ve worked out that on 2.6’s the bb will be approx 19mm lower. With a 160 fork the bb would raise approx 14mm and with the longer shock approx another 5. Which is a total coincidence. That’s all calc’d in the low position on the linkage so still 8mm more to get back in the bb height If swapped to high. Gives more options on the set ups people can have who’ve gone down the g13 route. Shame about the plus size though. Would’ve loved to have tried that.

Chainline
    Free Member

Wookster, kind of. I’ve decided I love the 29 front, mostly as hybrid which take the 40s out of the equation for practical year round use.
    I do also prefer the shorter offset.

Something is in the works which will solve those things as such. Have to wait a bit longer for that though.

Chainline
    Free Member

I’m processing the other Q!

I think maybe my planned next bike will solve a number of these Qs around the G13…you could call it listening…

Wookster

Thanks Chainline, I did wonder if the was a “special projects” division of Mojo Rising which might be working on certain improvements!

I’ll keep an eye out!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 2,144 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.