Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone ridden in Slovenia?
  • strike

Interested on feedback!

Premier Icon willard
    Subscriber

I’ve not ridden there, but… It’s a lovely country. The set of mountains they have are really nice and i have been told that the kayaking is pretty good. Ljubliana is a great place too. easy to get to from the UK and a very pleasant place to stay.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Ridden in a few places.

Bovec, Jamnica, Maribor,…

Fantastic country. Cheap food. Best hospitality of any EU nation I’ve ever stayed in.

If it’s good enough to be Narnia, it’s good enough for me.

edit: and the cake hotel had the 2nd best cake after the pottery shed at Inshriach forest.

the00

Visited but not ridden there yet. Looks wonderful though, so would very much like to go back with my bike.

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

see reports of SSEC 2016. I believe it was awesome.

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

Was with Ride Slovenia earlier this year. Fantastic county and great trails.
    Well recommended if you want some guiding.

We didn’t meet any other riders on their local trails, it was only ones near the capital that had others on them. Feels like you’ve got the mountains to yourself most of the time!

Autoelec

Indeed it was!

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

see reports of SSEC 2016. I believe it was awesome.

It bloody was 😀

SSEC 2016

Cheers!
    I.

5plusn8

Ride Slovenia is the best value service of all the holidays I have been on. Great times had in Slov.

I toured on a mtb around Slovenia about 10-15 years ago. It was awesome. Did some trails near Cra na Koreskem and Maribor which were great, I expect its much better now too.

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Around Bovec, we just made it up as we went along, using some German MTB guide book. Just a case of knowing what trails are and aren’t OK for bikes, being right on the edge of the national park. I’d happily hike up there to on foot, no bike. Also top spot for kayaking, canyoning, etc.

Weather can be anything from Alpine to Mediterranean there (we’ve had snow in May, and 37C in June). No idea if the Bovec bike park survived after the ski lift company went bust (we didn’t use any of those).

Jamnica – stayed at Koros Bike Hotel (featured on here years ago). The bike park trails were still being built then, but Dixi? pointed us in the right direction. Seen vids of the trails as they are now, and really ought to go back.  Plus there’s the other bit a few km away on the Austrian side of the border.  Both together seemed to be good enough for EWS, and I think they’re going back again? The ride thru the mine is worth it.

Maribor – just made it up. That was the year immediately after the new lift was built, after the ancient one fell down.

I don’t do DH, but would happily ride 5hours in the mountains and take loads of photographs. Or even ditch the bike for a day and go hiking where bikes can’t easily go.

Maribor – just made it up. That was the year immediately after the new lift was built, after the ancient one fell down.

You what now?

Oops

Premier Icon leegee
    Subscriber

Thanks to all who posted, I’m planning a road trip next summer, going to Le mans first and then 3 weeks with a tent and a big list of places to go. Petzen/Jamnica is on the definite list.

Anyone camped in the area and could recommend a site ?

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

Kamp Rut in Kobarid.

Kamp Rut Kobarid

Cracking place in the cracking location.
    Just next to famous Matajur peak.
    Cheers!
    I.

Premier Icon leegee
    Subscriber

Cheers

capability

Kamp Lazar, one of the best I’ve ever been to. The restaurant setup is brilliant.

Home

Premier Icon willard
    Subscriber

Check out Bled when you are out there, a cracking castle on a beautiful lake.

Also, be aware that Slovenia is really close to just about everywhere. You can be in Venice in about four hours from the capital. In one day trip I did Bled, Austria and Italy and still managed to get the car back by 1730hrs.

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

Yeah, set off from Kobarid, ride up beautiful, spectacular hairpins over Vrsic Pass (1611m)

then drop down in similar fashion to Italy on the other side of mountain for pizza and gelato, go back to Kobarid for evening meal.

Less than 40km and probably close to 3000m of climbing 😀

Cheers!
    I.

PS
    Definitely check Soca River. It looks so out of this world that it is absolutely BONKERS!!!

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Yep. Going back in September with ride Slovenia.

Look at Jonnys alp to sea as you see more of the country.

It’s an awesome place

duncancallum

Going back in September with ride Slovenia

How did you get on? We’re thinking of going with them next year…

Ewan

Went with Ride Slovenia in October – doing their alps to sea route. Was fantastic – highly recommended.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hnuk7b]DSC05409.jpg[/url] by Ewan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hnwUgs]DSC05396.jpg[/url] by Ewan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hnw7PE]DSC05387.jpg[/url] by Ewan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hnueih]DSC05319.jpg[/url] by Ewan, on Flickr

harvey

slovenia is fabulous for outdoor stuff. we ‘gravel biked’ for 8 days in the western part. roughly following the trip described in bikepacking.com

the soca valley is stunning and the town of Bovec is crammed full of activity providers. white water kayaking/ rafting, mountain walking/climbing, via ferrata, etc etc.

Soca Rocks, Bovec, is a hostel and activity provider well worth googling.
    the gravel route using bikepacking.com and komoot was nearly all gravel and single track. there are loads of woodland and meadow paths between villages. i couldn’t recommend slovenia highly enough ! its a really special place for a biking holiday.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.