Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone ridden in Pisgah?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

My inlaws have just moved to North Carolina and we’re visiting them twice this year. The whole place sounds much more interesting than where they’ve moved from (Florida) and, most importantly, it sounds like there’s good bikes nearby.

Pisgah is a two hour drive from theirs, I’ll have a car and it sounds like I’ll be taking a bike with me. I’ve got a few options – a Trek Stache (110mm 29+ hardtail), a Transition Smuggler (140f,110r 29er) and a Transition Patrol (160f/r 27.5). Which would be most appropriate? Ideally I’d like to ride some trails that are suitable for the Patrol – is there anything like that, and if so I’d appreciate some tips for routes (a gpx would be perfect).

Thanks.

AlasdairMc

I’ve never ridden Pisgah – it was one of the places I regret not visiting when I was over. I toured around Northern Georgia, some of NC, TN and AL, but breaking my frame shortened my trip somewhat.

If you can manage to get there, the Pinhoti trail in Northern Georgia is pretty special. Miles and miles of rolling forest singletrack. Mulberry Gap, near Elijay, provide resort type services on that trail, so cabins, food and beer. Well worth a visit.

Edit: the MTB Project app is excellent for trail finding.

stewartc
    Free Member

Not been but know someone based out there that should be able to help you out, email in profile and I will try to hook you up.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Been through Pisgah many times, assuming you mean the village between Aberystwyth and Devil’s Bridge. Lovely veiws of the Rheidol valley and across Cardigan bay to Snowdon on a clear day.
    https://osmaps.ordnanscesurvey.co.uk/52.38177,-3.93194,14

zip
    Free Member

Pisgah is great for natural riding, some quite long loops with hike a bike sections. I’ve been a few times and usually base myself in Brevard. Sycamore Cycles in Brevard are a very helpful and resourceful shop.

As with many US trails though, they are shared with walkers and can be ridden in both directions! Also, a few miles away is DuPont forest which has some more shorter, mellower trails. I haven’t got any gpx files I’m afraid and cannot remember specific trail names to recommend. I can dig my paper map out if you want any more info.

There are a few Seth’s Bike Hacks on you tube where he rides in Pisgah. They may help you to get an idea of the trails. I’m not sure if he uploads to strava, but BKXC has done Pisgah on his strava.

slowoldman

Been through Pisgah many times, assuming you mean the village between Aberystwyth and Devil’s Bridge.

Ah, not the rock buttress on Scafell then?

crankinirish
    Free Member

munrobiker, I live in Black Mountain, North Carolina, one of Pisgah’s best downhills (Kitzuma) is 10 minutes from my house.  Most of the best riding is around the Brevard area though which is about  45 minutes away.  I lived in Colorado for 10 years before I moved here and don’t miss it one bit, the riding around here is awesome.  I’d be happy to give you some suggestions or just let me know when you’re going to be here and I’ll keep a few days free and show you around.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Crankinirish – I’ll be in touch, I’d love to ride with someone if I can. Brevard would be fine, I’ll be based in Charlotte (though I don’t know which bit yet).

AlasdairMc – unfortunately when we go we don’t have time to go too far afield (we only see my inlaws once a year, if that).

Zip – I can live with both hikers and hike-a-bike 😉

neilthewheel

Nearest I’ve got is riding in pig’s gah.

gribble
    Free Member

I recommend the books by Jim Parnham on riding in Pisgah. Make sure you have a decent map or chat to a bike shop about routes. My wife and I did a bit of riding here, but scared ourselves a bit when we got badly lost quite quickly.

i would have loved to have ridden more there – great selection of trails all over and the videos online look appealing. In my experience US bike shop staff tend to be very friendly and happy to chat about where to ride locally. Tsali in the Great Smokey mtns is also worth a visit if you are ever over that far west.

Enjoy NC – Charlotte has some good micro breweries.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone ridden in Pisgah?’ is closed to new replies.