Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Anyone replaced the car with an E-Bike?
  • grenosteve
    Free Member

I got rid of my car in march, and have been happily commuting by bike for 3/4 days a week until I’m beat, and then using the motorbike on tired days.  I don’t really like locking my motorbike up at work, and have no intention of using it in the winter – its too nice of a bike to get destroyed by road salt.

I’ve been back and forth a lot on buying a car, a scooter, another cheaper motorbike, or an e-bike.  The end result is I’ve decided to go down the e-bike route and ordered one, with the only slight snag in my mind being that the cost of them puts you in the realm of a nice second motorbike, and it’s cheating a little bit!  I think I’m over this now though, and can see an e-bike would give saving over time, and more importantly, increase time our riding in the fresh air!  I’m now excitedly waiting for next week when I get to pick it up.

Any one else done it?  How did it go?

I’m hoping a mix of normal bike and e-bike on various days will allow me to cycle everyday, but not be so tired by Friday night that I struggle to get out on the MTB at the weekend.  Also I would be able to ride to home assisted on nice days and jump straight onto the MTB for an hours or so.

tomhoward

I cycle commute every day, mainly normal bike, occasionally emtb.

in weeks where I don’t use the ebike at all, I can definitely feel it by the end of the week.

doing 50miles a week commuting, plus up to 30 on evenings and weekends. Ebike is also handy if I have a lot of stuff to carry.

grenosteve
    Free Member

That’s my problem at them min, a full week is doable, but a big ask on top of general work tiredness, cleaning, cooking, doing the washing up etc.. at home.

I’m hoping the e-bike will make things easier.

It’s also a 150m (vertical) descent to the local supermarket for me, so would help with quick trips where I need to carry a bag of shopping and don’t want a full on work out in cycling clothes to get back up home.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

79.96% of car-drivers feel no guilt using a car for all local transport (FFTA* survey – Jun 2018)

Yet you’re guilt tripping yrself for swapping the motorbike for an ebike?  Just naaaaaaaaah!

PS if I would if I could.  Currently bangernomics and disability wagon means ebike is some way off.  Like the look of a Tern GSD (Get Shit Done, #greatnames) But I do use a 3speed non-electric utility bike for most of the 3 day commute, bi-weekly shopping, docs, chemist and local visits etc.  Car only really gets used for dog schlepping/vets and long trips.

Put me down as ‘Replaced 80% of car with analog Dutch bike.  And some radical sprocket science, because as per OP most my outwards trips are straight downhill, then all uphill on return.

* All figures courtesy of Facts From The Arse

cokie

What you really want is a Honda Grom (MSX125 in the UK).
    Mine was great fun and cheaper than even a budget e-bike.

It cost £5 to fill and did over a 120 miles. They hold their value. Cheap to incure, tax and even easier to service/work on. Plus there’s an infinite number of bits to customize it with…
    It’s only small so you can stick it in the corner of pretty much anywhere.

Must get another..

rickmeister

Friend has one for his commute. He is right on the edge of battery life for a round trip and in the winter, its like ebike roulette if he gets home with some juice to spare.. and he has a hilly commute as well.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Malvern Rider, I was torn between a GSD or a trek super commuter, the super commuter won in then end as I don’t have much need for hauling a lot of stuff.  Went for the bike that suits me for 95% of what I want it for, and will find a way for the other 5%.

Cokie, a grom or Suzuki van van where top of the list when I was considering a 125.

nealglover
    Free Member

I am on the verge of ordering a Yuba Spicy Curry Bosch to replace a car/train commute of 100miles/week. And a car at weekends maybe 30miles.

Test ride a Trek Supercommuter yesterday though (for the Bosch CX system) and it was an awesome ride, Just can’t carry enough on it for me (child + shopping + random shiz kids need/want)

Makes nothing but sense financially, I just don’t have the upfront cost on hand so currently working out the best way to buy.

nealglover
    Free Member

Friend has one for his commute. He is right on the edge of battery life for a round trip and in the winter,

Does he work somewhere without electricity, Or just have a really long commute ? ☺️

Furious

Watching this thread with interest as I’m considering doing something similar. Alternating between my GT Grade and potentially an Orbea Gain 20 to enable me to commute a hilly 50km (total) a day

rickmeister

He has a hilly commute of over 50k each way… and no charging possibilities in the bike store

philjunior
    Free Member

I did consider getting an e-cargo bike for a bit. I think it would rid me of most of my car usage (up to 10 miles or so) along with some warm clothes for the kids at least.

I would still want to use a car for long journeys though, and as my family lives 200-450 miles away… Last time I filled the car up was about 6 weeks ago and I’ve only got through half a tanks so minimal impact financially unless I rented every time I did the journey, but it’s too much faff especially with dodgy “oh what’s that scratch” merchants (which aren’t far from the sort of behaviours I’ve encountered when picking up hire cars in a rush and tired anyway…)

brant
    Free Member

I have a LarryVsHarry Bullitt S8000 E Cargobike. It’s amazing.

If you have space I would recommend an E Cargo Bike over a standard E Bike. They are very nice to ride, great in traffic, and can carry tons of stuff of people.

nairnster
    Free Member

I have considered it as it’s a hilly 110 miles a week to and from work. Would need to be an emtb.

They are bloody expensive and I couldn’t get the food shopping in it.

cbike
    Free Member

50k each way?

charge the battery in his office?  Carry a second battery?Move closer to work?   50k is ridiculous by car never mind a bike!

You don’t need to leave the house for shopping these days…it can be delivered by bicycle/van in the victorian stylee.

nealglover
    Free Member

I have considered it as it’s a hilly 110 miles a week to and from work. Would need to be an emtb.

They are bloody expensive and I couldn’t get the food shopping in it.

Is it a proper off-road commute, or roads/tracks ?

If not proper off-road then a Tern GSD/ Yuba Spicy Curry etc would do the commute and the food shopping no problem. And carry the kids, all at the same time.

If it is an off-road commute, then an E-Mtb and Racks. Then fit Panniers for the shopping when needed. Would easily carry a decent size grocery shop (4 panniers and a rack bag/box) you would barely know you were carrying a load either.

CHB

I have a Kalkhoff ebike with pannier racks and it’s fab. Really makes everywhere feel like cycling in Holland, despite the Yorkshire Hills. I have a couple of big Ortlieb panniers and can get a ridiculous amount of shopping in them and cycle back up the big hill from Morrisons Rothwell to where I live. For a commute of 10 miles or less and for general shopping duties they are perfect. Mine has a range of about 50 miles, but over 20 miles each way I would still probably use the car and listen to the radio.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

You don’t need to leave the house for shopping these days…it can be delivered by bicycle/van in the victorian stylee.

I’m a bit of a shopophile when it comes to groceries, love raking through end-of-shelf-life bargins and spotting seasonal ingredients that might inspire a dish. And any excuse for a late-evening extra-urban bimble.  Sometimes a 20 miler if I fancy going posh to the big Aldi.  Possibly a beer-garden stop on way home to inspire the last 1000ft 🍻

Nah, internet shopping is just not the same.  # ludditesunite

takisawa2

Some years ago I bought a Kona Ute cargo bike. When you can stow waterproofs on board & have room to carry stuff easily, it does actually become a viable alternative to the car for a lot of local running about.

I’d love an E-bike version of one, it really would be a game changer.

grenosteve
    Free Member

The only thing I don’t really like about the trek is that the front fork wont take a rack.  But if I ever feel I need it, I can always put on a surly fork with some QR adapters.

2 panniers should be fine for me though.

If surly did an e-big fat dummy, I’d have that!

nealglover
    Free Member

The only thing I don’t really like about the trek is that the front fork wont take a rack.  But if I ever feel I need it, I can always put on a surly fork with some QR adapters.

Thats one of the downsides, although The Thule Rack and Pedal strap on tack fits. So all is not lost 👍

http://thetouringstore.com/thetouringstore/thule-packn-pedal-strap-on-bicycle-racks/

nealglover
    Free Member

Kona Ute……..I’d love an E-bike version of one, it really would be a game changer.

pypdjl
    Free Member

“If surly did an e-big fat dummy, I’d have that!”

I have a non-fat big dummy that I fitted a bafung ebike kit to, makes a lot of sense for short trips etc. Means we can easily go down to 1 car in the household.  No quicker than the road bike for commuting, although it is less effort.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Picked the super commuter up today, was bitter sweet as I traded in my 10 year old cannondale badboy at evans to get £350 off. It was triggers broom of a bike, and had a lot of issues than needed sorting, but I loved it. 🙁 £350 was a great price for it though.

back to the SC, what a price of kit! It’s easy to exceed the 27kmh limit on the flat in eco mode, and once you’re above that speed it’s surprisingly easy to carry speed without the motor helping. I thought it may struggle over 30kmh due to its weight – it has a lot of that – but it’s fine, just like any other balloon tyre hybrid I’ve ridden.

Did some experimenting on the hills, eco mode seems to just offset the bikes weight and give s you something close to normal.  Off mode is for when you want let strength training! All the others feel the same, but give increased speed as you go higher , with turbo sitting you at 27kmh while ever you turn the cranks fast enough!  It’s not effortless at all, it just turns climbing into more of an aerobic rather than a strength effort.  I was breathing really hard holding it at the limit on a long 6/7% hill. I can’t believe there are people who climb faster than that on fitness alone!

I was too excited to try riding up hill with as little effort as possible, but I’ll try tomorrow and see if you can do it without coming close to breaking a sweat.

Besides the motor stuff, It’s just a really nice bike, good finish, great lifeguard and rack system and the balloon tyres are ace.  Makes you giggle too!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Your excitement is crackling!  They look well-sorted bikes for purpose tbh.  Look fwd (hooefully) to hearing some more of yr experience with it ⚡️🚴🏻⚡️

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s easy to exceed the 27kmh limit on the flat in eco mode, and once you’re above that speed it’s surprisingly easy to carry speed without the motor helping. I thought it may struggle over 30kmh due to its weight – it has a lot of that – but it’s fine, just like any other balloon tyre hybrid I’ve ridden.

This was the bit I was most happy/surprised by. The easy cruising speed, unassisted, at around 30-35kmph.

And the thing that makes the overall ride less tiring/sweaty etc, is the assistance to get you back up to that cruising speed with minimal hassle, each time you need to slow down for something.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at ebikes a bit, though it depends on my commute distance after I land a job after uni.

Because I live in a flat, I can’t have a big e cargo bike.. But have been looking at smaller wheeled ones.

The Orbea Katu-E looks nice:

Seems to be around £2k with a mid mount Bosch motor or a cheaper one at £1200 with a Bafang put in the front wheel

Also, there is the Van Moof X2:

Seems pretty high tech, and a decent discount for pre-orders – £2400. Can take front and rear racks/baskets

You can also buy as a subscription….

vincienup
    Free Member

When I lived in S2 and worked ink an office near Forgemasters I just rode a CX style bike every day and loved it.  It was half the time of a car journey unless there were no other cars around and I felt better for it.  I was also about 10 kilos lighter…

Now I’m out near Penistone and work at the Northern General.  I’ve taken to driving for a number of reasons but primarily that it’s a 12.5hr workday and adding what I think will be an hour’s fairly hardworking commute either end isn’t as appealing as the 15-20min 5 mile each way route with a regular 7.5hr day was.  Add in the logistics of working around avoiding the near suicidal sections of road (not impossible but adds distance and terrain – linking up the TPT with the fireroad through Wharney then bombing down and across Southey is the rough plan) and sheer turnaround time for doing it every day including dog walks before and after and I can see why I’ve been avoiding it.

I’m planning to reintroduce myself to this in stages, probably doing semi cheats driving in with bike and leaving car one day and collecting the next while I recondition myself.  If it looks like I can get properly back into it, I’m considering treating myself to one of the Orbea Gains, I like that they still look like bikes without the big battery box or BB motor, but I think the assistance cranking back up to the top of Fox Hill after a long day is going to be appreciated!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Anyone replaced the car with an E-Bike?’ is closed to new replies.