Anyone remember The Hell of the North Downs?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone remember The Hell of the North Downs?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Anyone remember The Hell of the North Downs?
  • Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

A randonee/ off-road sportive type ride organised by Mosquito Bikes in the late ’90s. A pretty tough but brilliant day out.

I’ve tried them a couple of times for the route, but no-one there seems to have it.

Anyone on here have a copy? Or remember enough to give me some hints on recreating it? Started and finished at Herne Hill Velodrome.

Cheers!

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

bumpitty bump.

Nobody?

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Yes, I remember it well, rode it a few times. It got cancelled for a couple of years – once cos of Foot & Mouth then once cos of horrendous weather and it never really recovered after that.

Dulwich Paragon run a similar (but all on-road) event called the Ride of the Falling Leaves which starts and finishes at HH. Aside from missing out the bridleway bits, it’s basically the same route.

Premier Icon charliemort
    Subscriber

errmmm yeah I did it. Mainly on road to about Shirley / West Wickham then some off road to Tatsfield; can’t remember how you got down the North Downs but I think bridleway down from Tatsfield to Pilgrim’s Way. halfway point was the Green in Westerham. Then off road through Limpsfield, up hill off road to the top of Titsey Hill, through Woldingham, Chelsham / Farleigh and back on the road

if that helps

could probably trace some of it on a map as I live round Westerham now

londonerinoz

John Mullineaux would probably know given his involvement with Mosquito through the Cyclocross League, Beastway, and all things cycling in London and the SE. I’m pretty sure he even organised club rides over the route you’re after when we were in London Phoenix CC together. I think the current site he runs is Ukcyclesport, and he relaunched London Dynamo CC I think it was called. Loads of people from the current scene should be able to put you in touch.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Anyone remember The Hell of the North Downs?’ is closed to new replies.