Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone remember Richard Scarry?
  • wwaswas

Used to do these books, I remember them from my childhood, I loved them.

Someone’s just done a ’21st century version’;

Brilliant 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yep, loved his books. The jewellery thieves on the ship.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup 😉

Parents found my old books, now my daughter loves them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    annebr
    Free Member

Yeah I loved them 😀

torsoinalake
    Free Member

My favourite was the one where they go on holiday, but have so much luggage the plane comes apart at the seams. Then the python squeezes it all back together.

Immense. I am going to find some books for my niece for Christmas.

njee20
    Free Member

They were amazing. I had “The Busy World of Richard Scarry”, great!

davosaurusrex

Still read them with the kids, love the continual disasters – joy rides on steamrollers, biplanes crashing into lakes, various windmill related catastrophes…..

cheers_drive

Yep, my favourite books as a young child. Would spend hours looking for Lowely Worm

thomthumb
    Free Member

hahahaha.

I remember coming back from a trip with my g-rents, feeling car sick – what was it about my grandads driving?!

for some reason i had my brothers richard scarry book whilst i was looking in the freezer – i then threw up in the book – and he went mental.

being a kid was great. 😀

TheFlyingOx

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgV3vdOT09I[/video]

They animated it!

emsz
    Free Member

cars and planes and things that go.

favourite book

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Makes me fancy a gherkin…

jimoiseau
    Free Member

My favourite was the one where they go on holiday, but have so much luggage the plane comes apart at the seams. Then the python squeezes it all back together.

Have you never heard of a spoiler alert?! Some people…

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Sorry for ruining your bedtime story.

BFITH
    Free Member

Yeeeeeeeees!!!
    I used to have this one:

Was my favouritest book ever….Loved it literally to bits.

kcal

That updated one is brilliant. And yes have very fond memories of my Richard Scarry books. Think they’ve gone now but off to dig around in attic!!

chakaping
    Free Member

The 21st century jobs one is awesome.

Love the content creator/content aggregator bit.

Fond memories of the originals too.

🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

I loved his books, and the characters like lowly worm, Huckle the cat, and that big hippo!

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh yes, spent hours and hours looking for this little blighter.

Northwind

I loved them, always something new to spot

seadog101

Brilliant, read and re-read many times to the younger Seadogs. Now carefully packed away in the loft ready for later on when the younger Seadogs are old enough to have even younger Seadogs of their own.

scuttler

Panic over! Was worried that Lowly Worm had been Yewtreed. Many other things from my childhood have been irrevocably tarnished.

In that case I too loved these books and will dig some out for my kids to watch in horror as they roll their eyes and call them lame.

GregMay
    Free Member

Fantastic books – have a favourite story still about the fox that walks around reading the paper and get stuck in concrete.

Replace fox with most people, and paper with work, concrete with life. Sorta set me out for why I am the way I am. Not focused on work and happy without being stuck in my life 🙂

ampthill

I Just realized I did that I read the What do people do at work all day one to my son and we spent ages looking at the house going up

He has just applied to do an Architectural design course

murf
    Free Member

I loved them, just started reading them to my own kids now.
    Dingo Dog was my favourite and Lowly worm was a close 2nd. It’s only as an adult I think about and realise the meanings of the names. Ie, Goldbug really is a wee gold bug!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

My company publishes him in the UK. We’ve just done a special edition with Paul Smith, if anyone is interested…
    His son, Huck is a gent.
    Fun fact – he used to get free flights on Swissair from including their planes in his books.

oxym0r0n

Cars and trucks and things that go +1. My 5 year old daughters are now enjoying it (one of their favourite books)

rob2
    Free Member

Cars and trucks and things that go +2

The toothbrush car, the sweetcorn car.. My 4 yr old loves it.

What do people do all day reminds me of work somewhat!

ratadog

Missed out on them first time round but Mrs R was brought up on them and introduced them into house once kids were old enough. Were much appreciated.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Bought my son the bagset from the book people last year. Brought back memories it did.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I grew up with Richard Scarry’s ABC book.
    If I had any children (which I never will) I’d force feed them this book….and The Magic Faraway Tree.

DickBarton

Loved them…my sister used to get properly annoyed as she was convinced they were books written for me – she used to say I was scary and reckoned that is what all the books were called!

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I used to love these! Before I had my daughter, I stocked up on a couple and spent quite a bit of the pregnancy going;
    “Arrrghghh I remember that! The Banana Thief!”
    Very warm cosy memories

Ben_mw

Bought my son the bagset from the book people last year. Brought back memories it did.

Just done exactly that for our daughter for christmas, can’t wait!

franki
    Free Member

Yep. Remember those books well. 🙂

AlexSimon

I had ‘What do people do all day’ and another couple when I was a boy – like someone said up there, literally loved it to bits.

When we had our first child, we went looking for all our old favourites and managed to pick up a whole load of Richard Scarry books!

‘What do people do all day’ is still my fav. I must have read forestry/sawmill section 1000 times!

That modern version is quite humorous, but should have been hand drawn 🙂

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone remember Richard Scarry?’ is closed to new replies.