Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Anyone regularly jump between a manual and an auto?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – some of the newer models do have ‘coasting’

Wow.. Didn’t know that. Interesting.

wwaswas

Newer BMW auto’s are 8 speed too which has to help with fuel consumption and/or performance by managing the rev range the engine is operating in more easily.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t like using the flappy paddles in mine too much – it’s a seven speed so the gearings are really short. I barely ever use them at all. I do use the sport mode (pull the stick backwards on my model) which raises the rev limit at which it changes up.

To be honest I am not that much of a fan though – it is kinda okay most of the time but I hate how it takes a bit of time to pick up especially when pulling out of a junction – trying to get the balance between barely moving and shooting like a 15 yr old the first time he hits 4th base is often difficult. (S-Tronic (DSG) double clutch manual I believe the system is on mine). Apparently this is an issue on this particular Auto box and it isn’t the same on traditional auto boxes.

weeksy

Mine is… interesting…

I mostly like it… but sometimes do not.

Pulling away from lights at anything more than walking pace means it revs to 4000rpm before changing up… I mean JEEEZ, I’m not a racing driver, I’m just pulling away ! Change up at 3000rpm you crazy car… If I’m pulling away harder, it’s 4500 !

Reversing is a fun game, it’s a known problem on the Civics, you have 2 modes… stationary or 20mph !

v8ninety

Works car is an X5, my car is a Golf GTD manual. Funnily enough they don’t feel worlds apart performance wise. No issues at all swapping between them, except for maybe the VERY first time, many years ago. I also own a V8 ninety (funnily enough) with an autobox, but all my previous road cars have been manual. Fair few previous work cars have been auto though. I probably prefer an auto, but only if it has a decent bit of oomph behind it.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of my first Passat DSG and was worried that I might lose the skills I’ve learned over 42 years of manual shifting…. but I haven’t; it’s too deeply ingrained. I’m enjoying te DSG though and it’s made me a much more relaxed driver. Even Mrs Gti, who was nervous at first, says she wants to swop her Ibiza for something with DSG as soon as we’ve finished paying for the bloody kitchen….

br
    Free Member

To be honest I am not that much of a fan though – it is kinda okay most of the time but I hate how it takes a bit of time to pick up especially when pulling out of a junction – trying to get the balance between barely moving and shooting like a 15 yr old the first time he hits 4th base is often difficult. (S-Tronic (DSG) double clutch manual I believe the system is on mine). Apparently this is an issue on this particular Auto box and it isn’t the same on traditional auto boxes.

As a long-time auto driver I really didn’t like the VW DSG system when I test drove one a few years ago, for this reason. Although at the time I’d a 3.5i (traditional) auto, so going from that to pretty much anything smaller was always going to be a shock.

And where does all this left-foot braking come from, right-foot braking in auto or manual – you’re not Ari.

molgrips
    Free Member

The left foot thing comes from instinctively going for the clutch and ending up trying to push the brake to the floor.

Solo
    Free Member

I own both a manual car and an auto car. Auto is the traditional slush box. No issues although in the early days of owning the auto (my first) I did catch myself resting my hand on the gear shift.

There is a manual over ride in the selector gate. But it’s usually ignored. I select ‘D’ and just go.

I learnt myself LFB, decades ago. Pretty much useless in Audis these days for the fly by wire throttle controls. So as a consequence, I rarely LFB now.

Get the auto if you want it, you’ll be fine
    🙂

andyl
    Free Member

Does anyone use the semi auto mode on normal autos? I just can’t get on with them, I think it’s the lack of clutch feeling like I am not in full control.

Solo
    Free Member

As per my initial post, I have that feature. But my selector is just a big switch and the GB changes gear when it’s happy to, seemingly regardless of my input.

Theres a tad of lag, which I believe the twin clutch system has addressed?

GDRS

I am driving an Auto – work vehicle – for the last six months. Love it. Although I took my left shoe off when I was driving it at first to help me remember that there is no clutch peddle…..

I am now trying to get my s/o to ditch the manual Scenic we have and get involved with a modern Auto when I have to give the work car back.

I think on modern vehicles if you are a plodder (or even if you are not) there is not much difference. If you live in / near London or heavy traffic area they are great – stop / start / stop / start.

Back to bikes……

MoreCashThanDash

Spent many years swapping between manual and auto as MrsMC cannot drive manuals. Eventually we went to two autos, but I was getting manual hire cars for work one day a week, and still no problems after the first T junction.

In 4-5 years time the next small second car we get will probably be the one Jnr learns to drive in – ask me this question again in 4-5 years time!

pictonroad

nah, it’s fine, at one point I had a RHD 6 speed manual, LHD Auto, and a properly difficult left hand drive manual dogleg box at the same time.

Auto to manual on the same side of the car is easy, you’ll be fine.

nickewen
    Free Member

Looks like it should be fine! Thanks for all of the info/advice/opinions everyone.

Loving the analogy about having rapid rise mech on one bike and not the other… I have struggled with this in the past to the point where I bought a new mech 🙂

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Anyone regularly jump between a manual and an auto?’ is closed to new replies.