Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone recommend me an epoxy resin to bond steel to carbon fibre?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Anyone recommend me an epoxy resin to bond steel to carbon fibre?

Steel inserts in to a carbon fibre tube. Load predominantly in compression.

Only need a very small amount to be honest so don’t need industrial quantities.

Cheers.

J

bristolbiker
    Free Member

3M 2-part 9323 epoxy. At least roughen the steel and degrease. Acid etch would be better.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Steel inserts are threaded however diameter is very slightly smaller than ID of tube so can’t actually thread them in to tube. Hoping sufficient expoxy will hold them.

Cheers for suggestion – could do with something cheaper than £80 / litre and in smaller quantities as only for a prototype.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bristolbiker
    Free Member

OK, you’ll be needing something with a bit of gap-filling potential then where the control of the bond-line thickness isn’t going to be great. The above still stands then….. however, you may struggle to get less than a litre at a go over the counter, or pay through the nose for pre-mix tubes.

EDIT: It’s mighty good stuff – but it sounds like cost/availability is as/more important than performace to you for the prototype….. in which case, just see what 2-part toughened epoxies you can get from RS et al. Defo want to be avoiding cyanocryalates (sic), but these would cheaper in one-off quantities.

sharkbait
    Free Member

West epoxy system with added fillers might do the trick – various fillers available with descriptions here.
    Used extensively in boat building and you can get small repair kits very easily.

Edit: depending on how much you need I got some 404 filler (which would be the one to go for) you can have, so all you’d beed would be a basic epoxy repair kit.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I need just enough epoxy / filler to bond two 6mm diameter by 20mm steel inserts (eyeleted rod ends effectively) in to the ends of a 10mm ID Carbon tube.

If you happen to have a smidgen spare that would be ace.

When you say basic epoxy repair kit I take it you mean the next step up from Aradite sort of thing?

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you got one of these I could send you some 404 filler [powder]. I’m out of resin at the mo otherwise I’d send you some.
    Good little kit which has everything you need (apart from 404 filler!).

CHB

I went to my local RC model shop and bought some two part stuff (two tubes in tandem. It was about £4 and mended my tent poles brilliantly.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I went to my local RC model shop and bought some two part stuff (two tubes in tandem. It was about £4 and mended my tent poles brilliantly.

As your require so little actual adhesive, I think this sounds like by far the best option. You may not get the best adhesive, but you won’t have shelled out ££££ either.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you down the ‘tube’ route I can recommend JB Weld……… good stuff and can fill gaps.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Cheers for the information guys.

Have taken the plunge and bought some carbon tube, just going to source a little JB Weld I think for this attempt so will let you know how it goes.

Ta again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend me an epoxy resin to bond steel to carbon fibre?’ is closed to new replies.