• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by igm.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Anyone recommend me a tough SPD shoe fit for hike a bike?
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m looking for a tough SPD shoe, something that’s reasonably stiff but has a good sole for the odd bit of hike a bike and generally trail riding. I quite like the look of the Mavic Alpine XL, has anyone got any other recommendations?

My newish pair of Diadora X-trails died in three months, so looking for something a bit tougher.

moridinbg
    Free Member

Five Ten Maltese Falcon. Much unlike the rest of the 5.10 offerings, it’s not a sneaker, but a tough boot, with stiff sole, which is good for long walking climbing. Plenty of grip to the ground when walking, apart from the area around the cleats, of course.
    The only downside is that it’s not vented much. May be it’s so that you won’t get water inside, which rarely happens, but once in it’s hard to get it out…

chakaping
    Free Member

Shimano do a walking boot style spd shoe. Mt91?

Has a vibram sole.

I got the first version and it lasted well.

mooman
    Free Member

I just ordered a set of Shimano MT43
    from Ribble for £45.

They for the cx. I just cant run/walk in normal style mtb racing shoes .. they far too stiff.
    The penalty of not having a stiff sole is far outweighed by actually being able to run/walk in these shoes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shimano MT91 are brilliant hike a bike boots, but a bit much for local trails, so I usually use AM45 for that, which makes both last a good while.

duner
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of alpine xl’s, I’m fairly happy with them, good grip for hike a bike, pretty comfy, not as stiff as my carbon specialized but that’s to be expected.

ads678

Lake mx102 or mx100 can never remember which I have. Vibram sole, soft shell outer. Good for hike a bike, pretty weather resistant but if you have wide feet i’d size up.

The shimano mt91’s have always looked good though. I’ve always fancied a pair.

Scapegoat

Spesh Taho?

Sanny
    Free Member

I had the Alpine XLs. They started to come apart after ten days in the Alps. Look great but sole isn’t stiff enough for my liking. MT 91s for the win. Mine have had over two years of use and are only now falling apart. 😀

Del

mt 91s here too.
    stick some g-wax on ’em and they are pretty easy to look after too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What’s gwax? Graingers?.

maurizio
    Free Member

I’m looking for the same! If you can wait Pearl Izumi are coming out with one designed for it (+lightweight) in october. Otherwise, the Mavic Scree seem to be the best current offerring 🙂

Del

yep

igm

I’ve still got the original Shimano mt90 – the boot that will not die. They are certainly tough, but also comfortable and probably the spd footwear of choice 80% of the time. In truly subzero temperatures my Northwave Celsius Arctic are a better bet and on sweaty summer days mt086 shoes get a run out, but the rest of the time they are spot on.
    Pair them with a caged spd pedal for preference (Time Z Control for me, though they are fine with Time Atac)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Anyone recommend me a tough SPD shoe fit for hike a bike?’ is closed to new replies.