Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone Recommend a Sports Watch?
  • Richie_B

As above really. My Polar HR watch is finally dying after 16 years service.
    Can anyone recommend a replacement?

I prefer a chest strap based hr monitor. Compatibility with speed and cadence sensors is essential. Ideally it would be compatible with power sensor (just in case I win the lottery or someone invents a reliable cheap one). GPS would be great but not as important as reliability.

I’m guessing a bike specific computer would probably do the above cheaper but a watch would give more flexibility. Price is definitely a factor
    Thanks

iainc

I’ll be the first to say it : Garmin Instinct…

plus-one

I’ll second the instinct it really is good. The layout is odd st first but once used to it it’s intuitive.

My only gripe is heart rate isn’t most accurate when you up the tempo.

Im sure they can’t be paired with chest strap but if they could it would be icing on the cake

breadcrumb

I’m pretty sure the Instinct can be paired with a chest strap.

I really rate mine. The smart side is handy too, I know whether it’s worth taking my phone out of my pocket or not.

Kryton57

Instinct +1

yes, mine is paired with my HR chest strap

mechanicaldope

Does the instinct measure HR without the chest strap?

mogrim

It’s got a sensor on the back of the watch, measures it directly from your wrist.

Full review here:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/garmin-instinct-gps-watch-in-depth-review.html

Wrist HR sensors aren’t particularly accurate when you’re doing sport, they’re fine for day to day use but when you up the pace they’re a bit crap (IME).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, Mogrim +1 on optical HR sensors, sometimes running mine is fine, sometimes not, on the MTB it’s all over the shop. Easy enough to wear a chest strap when exercising though.

Instinct is god awful looking.

loum
    Free Member

With wrist HR, some are better than others.
    The new polar vantage watches are getting good reviews. I’d be seriously considering one of them.
    The other good one to look out for is the suunto Spartan trainer, it’s a smaller lighter (plastic), and cheaper version of their top kit and gets good review for accuracy.
    Garmin wrist HR is ok, but if you do go Garmin then it seems lighter is better too. Fenix and 935 are very similar functionality, but the fenix is a big weighty metal “adventure” watch what whereas the 935 is a slimmer lighter plastic running watch. The 935 gets better results , the theory is it doesn’t bounce around so much.

plus-one

So is any ant/Bluetooth heart rate strap compatible with the instinct?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve got a garmin 235 which has been brilliant for a year or so and I just bought a sunnto spartan sport hr which I’m getting used to. Both work fine with strava etc and log way more details than I ever need.

Richie_B

Do the garmin Instinct or 235 work with power meters?

Kryton57

Instinct is god awful looking.

No worse and perhaps better than some G shocks.  YMMV.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gotta say, I love my Garmin Fenix 5X..

mogrim

Fenix and 935 are very similar functionality, but the fenix is a big weighty metal “adventure” watch what whereas the 935 is a slimmer lighter plastic running watch. The 935 gets better results , the theory is it doesn’t bounce around so much.

Not sure if it’s the bouncing around or something else – on Wednesday I was training with my (tri) club, and on the run back from the track I was chatting to another guy, and we compared heart rates. At this point we were both able to hold a conversation, so clearly going at a comfortable pace. Nonetheless his watch was showing about 130, and my Fenix (using the wrist sensor, no chest strap) was showing 160… But it was fairly tight on my wrist and as mentioned it was a pretty gentle run.

jkomo

I could lend you a Garmin to try, but I did that last year to someone off here and never saw it again.
    Just saying😿

mikertroid
    Free Member

Another instinct recommend here

sweaman2
    Free Member

DCrainmaker implies instinct doesn’t work with power meters

Richie_B

The review if the Instinct is pretty clear that it isn’t power meter compatible. To be honest I will probably never be in a position to get a power meter but if I am spending so much it makes sense to cover the bases (perhaps my Polar watch lasting so long is making me falsely optimistic)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Recommend a Sports Watch?’ is closed to new replies.