Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 473 total)
  • Anyone read the Bible?
  • D0NK

we do not know the true meaning of the word ‘authentein’

so it’s all in the editing and translation. Wonder what other bits have been adjusted and revised. Bit of a shaky place for a basis of you faith.

But then again religions can evolve – if they want to – never sure whether this is a good thing or not.

kja78
    Free Member

Forming a belief system around a very few passages that cannot be read properly is indeed hazardous and presumptious. However, there are not many parts of the Bible that are quite so difficult to translate, funnily enough it’s mainly the parts on women and homosexuality in Paul.

camo16
    Free Member

If God inspired me to do something (which I believe God does) would I do it perfectly? No, of course not

Why not? I thought man was created in god’s image?

Doesn’t this imply that god is flawed? Either he made a mistake in our design, or it’s an accurate design and thus god is flawed because we are. Non?

Being made in God’s image doesn’t mean to operate as God, but to resemble him.

It’s nuts to interpret that statement to read that humans are, effectively, individual Gods.

Now that’s presumptuous. 😉

Solo
    Free Member

What tyres for religion ?

hora
    Free Member

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross, but He
    was not there; I went to the Temple of the
    Hindus and to the old pagodas, but I could not
    find a trace of Him anywhere.

I searched on the mountains and in the valleys
    but neither in the heights nor in the depths was I
    able to find Him. I went to the Ka’bah in Mecca,
    but He was not there either.

I questioned the scholars and philosophers but
    He was beyond their understanding.

I then looked into my heart and it was there
    where He dwelled that I saw Him; He was
    nowhere else to be found.

kja78
    Free Member

It’s extremely important to Christians that all people are created in God’s image, our morals and ethics hinge on it. But we don’t have to bear God’s image perfectly do we? Some might say that my daughter is ‘the image’ of me – like me she’s chubby, blue eyed and fair haired, but clearly she’s not exactly the same as me.

Solo
    Free Member

It’s extremely important to Christians that all people are created in God’s image, our morals and ethics hinge on it.

Oh dear. Tea break is over. normal service is resumed.

Solo
    Free Member

Hang on.

Is there any paleo diet info in the bible ?
    Fruit is out, isn’t it ?

kja78
    Free Member

Solo – Eh? Have I missed something? Christians may not behave as though that’s the case, but they certainly should.

phil.w
    Free Member

It’s extremely important to Christians that all people are created in God’s image, our morals and ethics hinge on it.

I think Job’s family would question god’s moral and ethical compass.

hora
    Free Member

What about the modern day Christian crusades where thousands of foreigners die?

gonefishin
    Free Member

However, there are not many parts of the Bible that are quite so difficult to translate, funnily enough it’s mainly the parts on women and homosexuality in Paul.

So are you saying that the bits that are awkward to translate all involve women and homosexuality? That being the case funny isn’t a word that I’d use, convenient is probably more appropriate!

oldboy
    Free Member

You all fell for this thread, guys! These God-botherers will do anything to try to engage you in any sort of dialogue so that they can spout the mumbo jumbo I’ve read on the last five pages.

Cougar

Being made in God’s image doesn’t mean to operate as God, but to resemble him.

It’s nuts to interpret that statement to read that humans are, effectively, individual Gods.

You may be right (though that’s not really what I meant), but I’ll take the accusation that it’s a “nuts interpretation” with a pinch of salt given that this is a discussion about religion.

But then again religions can evolve – if they want to – never sure whether this is a good thing or not.

Interesting one, this. It’s a bit ‘damned if you do and damned if you don’t.’

If an organised religion evolves to be more relevant to modern times (which I personally think will do them a lot of favours), it essentially needs to backtrack on previously held beliefs and values. In a scientific field this is both easy and commonplace; you go “sorry, we’ve disproved your theory” and adapt. But in an arena which is built solely on ephemeral concepts like “faith” that’s a lot more difficult. You’ve spent a couple of millennia give or take going “look this is the way it is, trust us,” suddenly changing your mind and admitting you were wrong is incredibly difficult. A big problem facing religion in the modern day is simply one of inertia; “but we’ve always done it this way!” (which of course, is a terrible reason to do anything).

Solo
    Free Member

Kja78.

I’m just kidding bud. No offense intended towards anyone.
    If any of you have a god shaped hole in your life and you go ahead and fill it. Good for you.
    🙂

kja78
    Free Member

Yes, gonefishin, I think that sadly it has been convenient for certain sectors of the church over the years, and I think that theologies of oppression and abuse have been formed and founded on very shaky arguments. If you want an apology from a Christian from that then I’m very sorry indeed and deeply saddened.

Hora, as I said not all Christians always behave like they believe that’s true.

kja78
    Free Member

Don’t worry Solo, I wasn’t offended, just confused by this

Oh dear. Tea break is over. normal service is resumed.

Wondered if I was being thick?

Oh and just to make you truly wince, we all have/had a God shaped hole in our lives.

Cougar

Oh and just to make you truly wince, we all have/had a God shaped hole in our lives.

I don’t. No holes at all, far as I can tell.

Well, a pay rise and a decent summer wouldn’t hurt I suppose. Reckon you could have a word with your god, see if he can sort out the weather for us this year?

Solo
    Free Member

Wondered if I was being thick?

Not at all. I was just pissin about.
    🙂

I don’t really want to get dragged into this, but I can’t get involved with religion. However, this:

A big problem facing religion in the modern day is simply one of inertia; “but we’ve always done it this way!” (which of course, is a terrible reason to do anything).

I feel explains a lot wrt to certain religions.

🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Yeah ?, well, emphasis on the ‘had‘ then. As since, what I’ve seen and heard in this life has lead me to question God’s purpose.

EDIT:
    Anyone read the Bible?
    Oh !, the ironing.

Right, I’m off.

phil.w
    Free Member

If an organised religion evolves to be more relevant to modern times, it essentially needs to backtrack on previously held beliefs and values….

I think Rufus (Chris Rock) said it best in Dogma…

[list]I think it’s better to have ideas. You can change an idea, changing a belief is trickier. Life should be malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can’t generate. Life becomes stagnant.[/list]

joolsburger
    Free Member

Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

Douglas Adams

I find the comments in this thread deeply worrying, it’s like the last 200 years haven’t happened for some people.

Cougar

It’s like you haven’t read the last 200 religion threads on STW, more like. (-:

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nice to read a religion thread without the usual as shatters.

Good contribution from kja78.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I didn’t realise I had a god-shaped hole in my life until I looked on godchecker.com and read about Radigast:

“God of Sound Advice and Thought.

He’s easily recognizable — he carries a two-headed axe, has a bull’s head on his chest and wears a flying swan on his head.”

Any god who proclaims to be the patron of sound advice and thought and dresses like that is a bit of a hero, tbh. He also sounds like he’d fit in right here – would a flying swan on the head be more or less effective than a helmet? Would it assist on jumps?

He also had his name blatantly pilfered by Tolkien….

rusty90
    Free Member

Good contribution from kja78

Second that. Completely disagree with him, but a polite and thoughtful contribution (well, it is his job and all 🙂 )

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well I have but I always feel a bit weirded out by true believers, I just can’t see their point of view at all.

Cougar

Stan Lee has a lot to answer for.

kja78
    Free Member

Good contribution from kja78
    Second that. Completely disagree with him, but a polite and thoughtful contribution (well, it is his job and all )

Thanks chaps and chapeses, I’m now off to write the ‘thought for the day’ that I was supposed to be doing whilst chatting with you lot! After I cook dinner for my wife and three daughters (how’s that for Biblical equality!)

Well, a pay rise and a decent summer wouldn’t hurt I suppose. Reckon you could have a word with your god, see if he can sort out the weather for us this year?

Reminds me of a joke –

I wanted a nice new mountain bike so I prayed to God to give me one. Then I realised that God doesn’t work like that. So I nicked a bike and prayed for forgiveness.

tyger
    Free Member

LOL thanks kja78 🙂

Drac

Although I stopped posting in this thread I’ve kept up with most of it.

I’ll also add. Even though I am very much an atheist Kja78 replies are very good, well thought out responses with a refreshing view on religion. Your acceptance that parts of the bible are exaggerated or made up tales but for the purpose of faith are a nice view and one that I wish other believers would take.

philconsequence
    Free Member

Although I stopped posting in this thread I’ve kept up with most of it.

I’ll also add. Even though I am very much an atheist Kja78 replies are very good, well thought out responses with a refreshing view on religion. Your acceptance that parts of the bible are exaggerated or made up tales but for the purpose of faith are a nice view and one that I wish other believers would take.

+1

hora
    Free Member

Last week I watched a Nigerian wedding on tv and it filled me with hoy. Loved it. Praise whoever you want but do it with love folks. Peace.

Cougar

❓ 😯

AdamW
    Free Member

Must be those thighs. Good looking bloke though, so I can relate to why Hora wants to be full of him.

crikey
    Free Member

Must be those thighs. Good looking bloke though, so I can relate to why Hora wants to be full of him.

You’re meant to be angst ridden and miserable… Posts of that quality could persuade Pope Jim Bowen into a snog!

hora
    Free Member

Ffs. Fail of the week 😆

v8ninety

Hora and Cougar; I just spat coffee out of my nose. Please refrain…

spchantler
    Free Member

rail of the week, shirley?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I stopped reading when someone said “the whole world being covered in water over just 40 days would really churn up the soil layers and muck up the dating systems used currently” and I spilt me tea everywhere.
    Can someone summarise the rest as I’ve got 4 wheels to build before bedtime 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 473 total)

The topic ‘Anyone read the Bible?’ is closed to new replies.