Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone re-waxed a wax jacket?
  • bearnecessities

..and if so, will these folds come out? Google inconclusive. Cause is nothing more than my poor hanging etiquette/care.

Thanks!

Edit: It’s only 2 years old.

scotroutes

I have – many years ago. IIRC it didn’t affect any folds or creases, they stayed as they were.

However, that’s very much the look of these jackets – the “patina” they develop.

mattsccm
    Free Member

You can work them out a bit but surely thats the “look”?
    Job best done in a heat wave when the jacket and wax is soft.

muddyground
    Free Member

Heat the folds with a hairdryer… Bend back. Nothing to lose.

oldschool

To answer your question, no. But not for lack of trying, bought the wax put it somewhere safe and can I find it, can I heckers like. So if anyone knows where I put the new tin of wax let me know and I’ll re-wax mine then advise bearnecessities. Although I agree, the patina is part of the look/jacket (and mines properly “patina’d” or old)

Kuco

Yes, years ago never again. When I ripped my Barbour a few years later I sent it off to Barbour for repair, I got them to rewax it while they repaired it.

Sorry, can’t remember about creases.

sweepy
    Free Member

I have an ancient one I inherited from my Dad. I never wear it anymore but every few years I wax it. Its creased to buggery and always will be. Thats how they are.

mert
    Free Member

I hang it up in the workshop and use an old hair drier to heat it up in patches, then rub the wax on and flatten out.
    Mines 6 or 7 year old fleece lined fjallraven, the creases drop out, think that’s more dependent on the fabric used than the fact it’s waxed.

CountZero

Use Renapur wax – it’s quite soft and very easy to work into the surface of the cloth. It’s good stuff to use on leather jackets, and leather work boots as well.
    As for the folds, the only way to stop them is to never wear the jacket; the folds and creases are an inevitable part of wearing it, it’s like buying a pair of expensive selvedge denim jeans and complaining that they start creasing and the creases go white.

This is what a British Royal’s wax jacket looks like…

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have rewaxed my barbour once in its 5 years. TBH i couldnt be bothered with doing it myself and posted it off to Barbour for them to do it. Came back without a single crease, like brand new. They also repair any issues too (Within reason). My uncles jacket got the same treatment when we sent his off after a fall. Rewaxed and patched up.

I havent dont it recently so not sure of the cost and tbh i found i was waxing everything i brushed against in the jacket. I prefer the worn look now.

Am i the only one who thinks they are the loveliest but most impractical coat ever. Heavy, cold in cold weather, sweltering in hot weather. They do nothing very well.

cinnamon_girl

Am i the only one who thinks they are the most impractical coat ever. Heavy, cold in cold weather, sweltering in hot weather. They do nothing very well.

+1. Totally regretted buying a Barbour for dog walking duties. Re-waxed it myself, ended up with holes in the arms which was repaired under guarantee. My ancient Goretex walking jacket (Tog24, remember them?) must be 25 years old and is still going strong, much more practical.

blackhat
    Free Member

Would second the Barbour service – quick, good finish and not that expensive.

And totally endorse the comments on their impracticalities – it seems totally appropriate that they are often paired with the Land Rover Defender for the country look – the most impractical practical vehicle you can own.

nicko74

Yes! As above, I sent mine off to Barbour because it also needed a couple of repairs (the zip had caught and ripped the zip baffle etc). Cost about £100 I think? Came back looking fresh and new; some of the creases had come out while others kinda stayed. Tbh I had to hang it out for a while because the wax was so… waxy.

Am i the only one who thinks they are the most impractical coat ever. Heavy, cold in cold weather, sweltering in hot weather. They do nothing very well.

Tbh I really rated mine in Toronto winters; if it was really cold I’d have a puffer jacket underneath. But yeah, they’re sweaty as all get-out in the average British autumn day.

Beagleboy

I did my Dryz-a-bone full length jacket a couple of years ago. First time in 28yrs and I’m kind of hoping I don’t last another 28yrs so I have to do it again.

Knowing what a hard job it was, I would pay to get it done professionally.

clubby

Not impractical, just need to buy the right one for you’re needs. Range is a bit incomprehensible and you need to try loads to get the right one.

As for waxing, if you still have a House of Frasers near you, it’s £35 (or least it is in the Glasgow one).

bearnecessities

Cheers all – should have been clearer that it’s the folded pocket flap corners that annoy me, not the patina creases etc. I’m sure* there must be a way of ‘unfolding’ them.

*There obviously isn’t 🙁

Kuco

Found mine brilliant for pruning Pyracantha, Berberis & Acacia that councils love to plant on estates. Better than the cheap shite jackets they supplied.

benp1

I really fancy one but don’t know when I’d actually wear it given I usually wear ventile or a softshell, and then in winter a buffalo jacket or something insulated

prettygreenparrot

I really fancy one but don’t know when I’d actually wear it given I usually wear ventile or a softshell, and then in winter a buffalo jacket or something insulated

I wanted something that was hard wearing, repairable, water resistant, had fairly large pockets, was suitable for most of the year round, and had a different look from typical mountaineering-inspired outdoor stuff. Got a Bedale in black.

Impractical? 🤷🏻‍♂️ seems to work for me. Waxed cotton is warmer and less breathable than regular cotton and many modern fabrics. I’ve found it OK for all but the height of northern summer.

I looked at Ventile coats this time round but the price.

Barbour sizing is interesting. This might be something to keep you in your current coats. The ‘classic’ fitting ones are designed, I think, for folks who wear them on top of, for example, vest, shirt, waistcoat or sweater, and a tweed jacket. Barbour say ‘true to size’ and that they provide ‘7” to 9”’ of space. For all that tweed or port I suppose. Having said that I typically get ~40” chest/medium stuff. To avoid ‘baggy’ I tried a 38” Barbour on – tight across the shoulders when I wore a fleece underneath.

Rewaxing- not yet done. Tempted this year. Unsure whether to use some leftover G1000 wax that I got for a super Fjallraven jacket that wore out in ~4 years. Or whether to buy a tin.

squirrelking
    Free Member

They’re immense for a proper Scottish downpour but agreed you need to dress properly underneath. Proper jumpers without collars and gilets are the way to go.

As for waxing, if you still have a House of Frasers near you, it’s £35 (or least it is in the Glasgow one).

@clubby
    ya dancer!

monkeyboyjc

I did a few years back, Infront of the (very stw) log burner. No idea if the folds will come out but it’s cheap to do so worth a try.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ooh will it work in a deep fryer?

nicko74

Same one that you wax your chains in? Sounds ideal! 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.