Anyone put Stans into tubes?

Home Forum Bike Forum Anyone put Stans into tubes?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone put Stans into tubes?
  • Thrustyjust

Running some Michelin 1.4 slicks with narrow tubes for my commuter. They are too narrow for slime tubes. Has anyone put some stans into tubes to prevent punctures?

esher shore

don’t bother- it does not work in terms of sealing puncture

the powder inside the tube stops the Stan’s from coagulating when a puncture occurs

DiscJockey

I’d just cough up the £34 for a pair of Stans rim strips…not the cheapest option, but the best, and if your rims require Presta valves, most presta tubes aren’t designed to have the valve cores removed, unlike Stans presta strips.

Thrustyjust

I can convert to tubeless like my other bikes without the need of a stans strip. I am unsure I want to ride on just sealant and 85 psi with the sidewalls being quite thin, hence the ‘alternative’ method. Didn’t think about chalk powder in the tubes, which sounds like I will carry a tube with me now.

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

don’t bother- it does not work in terms of sealing puncture

the powder inside the tube stops the Stan’s from coagulating when a puncture occurs

I’m afraid that is rubbish, it works perfectly well, as well as tubeless tyres as far as I can tell.

To get the stuff in you will need a syringe that will hold 40ml. Widen the nozzle so it fits securely over the valve.

If you have schwalbe tubes then the valve core will unscrew completely leaving a schraeder style valve opening behind.

Otherwise you will need to unscrew the valve locking nut thing all the way off the valve stem (talking about presta here) until it comes right off, you might need pliers to unscrew it as they are not designed to come off, but they will.

Then carefully feel through the tube the valve and let it fall into the tube, try to hold on to it, but don’t panic it you lose it, you will find it again!

Squirt some gunk into the tube and then by feel push the valve back into the stem and replace the locking nut thing on the end.

That said I would still carry a tube, sometime, whatever you do, you will ride over something that will make a hole that wont seal.

Ramsey Neil

I’m afraid that is rubbish, it works perfectly well, as well as tubeless tyres as far as I can tell.

The “as far as I can tell” doesn’t fill me with confidence .

There are other sealants designed to work in an inner tube , they may work better than Stans , on the other hand they may not .

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

The “as far as I can tell” doesn’t fill me with confidence .

I don’t get any punctures in the bikes with stans in the tubes.

Some friends I ride with regularly don’t get punctures and they use this method.

I got a puncture in a tubeless tire when I rode over a nail.

Statistically that might not be enough to prove that stans in tubes is as effective, too small a sampling.

Hence, as far as I can tell.

Plus it’s hardly a big deal to take a tube just in case you get a puncture.

Works really well on my fat tyre, if I change the tyre, I usually find half a dozen thorns poking through!

crapjumper

It worked well for me too . No punctures going to work and back for about 3 months when previously I was getting them quite often

Premier Icon lump
    Subscriber

Been running this method for four ish years on all bikes. And ive had maybe four punchers in that time. Its easy and clean. And I can change tyres when ever I want. Also when refreshing the stans filling I just cut a hole in the tube and take out any clumps in side stick a patch over it and jobs a good un. Dont care about the weight, and im a lardy 🙂

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

Used Stans in tubes on my cross bike due.

Didn’t stop snakebites as they tended to be too large but were great with thorns after the autumn hedge trimming had taken place.

ndthornton

I don’t get any punctures in the bikes with stans in the tubes.

How do you know for sure you have had a puncture?
    Go stick a pin in you tyre – come back and tell us what happened.
    that’s scientific then init

I’ve run tubes (fat and skinny) with Stans and Slime (TM), they both work up to a point.

The points being those of T. terrestris that tend to hang on in the tyre and waggle around keeping the hole open (differential movement between tube and tyre). What I’ve also observed is you tend to get leakage between the tyre and tube so the volume of sealant available in the tube reduces faster than in a tubeless setup.

I’m now ghetto tubeless on fat bike and skinny bike. Still get the odd occasion when a monster thorn falls out and needs a plug but significantly better than sealant in tubes.

allthepies

How does Stans cope with Lion bites ? 😉

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Dont forget to add some large flake pink glitter 😉

Thrustyjust

Sadly cant find any glitter, so used dandruff. 😉 My 1.4 tubes are now home to 50ml of stans. I may never know if it works or not. Depends on local pondlives deciding that smashing beer bottles on the local cycleways is a fun night out.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone put Stans into tubes?’ is closed to new replies.