Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Anyone purchase whisky as an investment?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’m thinking of dipping my toe, . . . i’m in no way rich, so was thinking of paying less than £100 for the first bottle . . .

i’m thinking single cask, limited bottling – 18 years old and above?

this kind of thing

linky

anyone got any advice or can point me in the direction of it?

…and most importantly will i be able to keep myself from tapping it on a lonely cold night?

mudshark
    Free Member

This is just for fun? Kinda curious about what sort of returns have been had with this. Not better to buy something younger? When do the greatest returns hit?

richmtb

If you pick the right bottle then its not hard to own a bottle that goes up in price rather than down.

If you had a bottle of 15yo Laphroaig they go for over £100 on the whisky exchange as the distillery doesn’t make this bottling anymore. They only cost around £60 when released. (and Laphroaig is hardly rare whisky)

Buying whisky this way you will never get rich but you won’t stand to lose much either

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sunnrider
    Free Member

This years biggest rise in price was the Macallan Royal Marriage whisky, so there´s no accounting for taste 😛

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

hunt down some port ellen – distillery was closed some years ago, so rare and getting rarer. Around £300 should see you with a bottle, and if the price doesn’t keep you from opening it, I can tell you it’s not a great whisky.

thx1138
    Free Member

I did. I ‘invested’ it.

Hic.

😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A little. I have a couple of limited runs/bottlings that I bought cheaply, stashed in the cupboard. I check the price on-line from time-to-time. Prices of limited bottlings only go up as they get scarcer.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I have a couple of bottles given as gifts by a very generous friend of mine that are basically too good to drink. It’s like there’s no occasion special enough. “Because you’re not worth it!”

I would be loath to cash them in as any kind of investment, them being gifts, but I’m pretty sure the value of ’em may go up as well as up.

And I have a couple of drams’ worth of Loch Dhu sloshing around in the bottom of a bottle that I haven’t drunk, because they don’t make it any more, so when it’s gone, it’s gone.

br
    Free Member

If you pick the right bottle then its not hard to own a bottle that goes up in price rather than down.

Yep, like your thinking… 🙄

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

oooh i’ve got my eye on something…. this could be good.

RichPenny
    Free Member

My dad did, shares in a cask at a distillery that Bruichladdich owns, can’t remember the name. Full cask is owned by his whisky club. They’ve chosen to bottle at 11years I think, cask strength naturally. Halfway through I think they were offered 4x original price to sell back to the distillery. It’ll be bottled this year, I think he’s due about 75 bottles. Dad, I **** love you 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

interesting….probably port charlotte….my brother has a cask there too.

My bro’s still hanging on – he seesm to think it will be easiest just to sell it to an independent bottler

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and most importantly will i be able to keep myself from tapping it on a lonely cold night?

Keep it somewhere else?

We have a couple of these left
    http://danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_913767/
    paid $50- retailing now at $150 if they were cellared correctly we could probably get that for them. However they lived through the melbourne heat waves… Still drinking well though.

zokes
    Free Member

I invested quite a lot of whisky last night. I can confirm that the returns are painful. That was an Islay whisky by the way, others may see better returns.

plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

I bought a bottle of Port Ellen cask strength aged 18 years old that was in my local supermarket. I paid £70 8 years ago and it’s retailing for £300 on whisky exchange at the moment.
    Thinking I need to cash in so sorry for the highjack what’s the best way of selling it?

Plastic

messiah
    Free Member

If you had some Bruichladdich Port Charlotte PC5.

PC5

Sidney
    Free Member

Richpenny – your dad’s not one of the Basildon Malt Whisky society members is he? I work with one so am kept abreast of the developments.

Shame is, if you want to go down the route of buying a cask I don’t think you can anymore at Bruichladdich as they have been bought out and no longer offer this. And don’t forget the rather stonking tax bill at the end when it comes to bottling! Some new distillery that needs capital might be worth a look…

The second shame is I’m not really a whisky man so after hearing about the whisky and my bosses annual pilgramage for sampling I might be dissapointed when I ever get to try it!

rocket
    Free Member

When my dad died it transpired he’d been a bit unlucky with some of his financial decisions – burned by Equitable Life, annuity rates dropping etc etc, meaning things initially looked a bit tight for my mum. One thing it turns out he did have an eye for was whisky investment. Unbeknownst to us he’d left my mum with quite a few bottles that have appreciated significantly in value according to the receipts he’d helpfully left in the boxes. A couple of examples;

Maccallan Anniversary 25yo 1965

Ardberg 1975

Ardberg 17yo which is very very good – night and day compared to the petrol that is the 10yo you get in the supermarkets – It was his preferred tipple and I still have a drop left in a bottle he’d opened and we drank together the week before he popped.

So I’m a big fan of whisky as an investment. My advice? Buy low, don’t drink it, sell high 😉

Yetiman
    Free Member

I have a pretty big Whisky collection but I’ve never considered myself a proper collector as I always buy drinking Whiskys rather than collectables. However, I do have two that are now worth quite a bit.
    The first is a 1971 23 year old Glenury Royal that I bought a good few years ago for £85. It’s now worth £3-400.
    The second is a 1970 25 year old Hillside that my brother gave me on my 30th birthday. I have no idea what he paid for it but 12 years later it now appears to be worth in the region of £6-800.

Shame I didn’t buy more 🙂

joemarshall
    Free Member

Like any form of investment it’s just betting. You’re betting on it gaining loads in value. Nobody here is telling you about the thousands of pounds they’ve spent on bottles of whisky that would be worth less than they paid now, just like horse gamblers don’t tell you about the horses that came last.

So only do it with money that you’d happily put on the horses / on the roulette wheel or whatever.

http://www.whiskyhighland.co.uk/discover/whisky_highland_index/getting_it_wrong.html

grim168
    Free Member

Just been in the cupboard after reading this thread. I have a 1988 lagavulin distillers edition and a rare malts 23 year Bladnoch distilled in 1977. Off to search for prices now. 😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Anyone purchase whisky as an investment?’ is closed to new replies.