Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Anyone posted disc brakes via Royal Mail?
  • earl_brutus

I see people on here had a few issues with posting bike bits and them not being permitted via Royal Mail like rear shocks etc. I’ve got some disc brakes to post has anyone had issue with these being contraband? Cheers

rickmeister

Had some Mono Minis delivered to Germany which was a relief.. but it still seems to be a bit of a lottery though.

Maybe declaring them as bicycle parts without being specific may help. As would using another courier…

ratherbeintobago

Brakes aren’t pressurised so they should be ok. Shouldn’t they?

earl_brutus

I’d’ve thought not but its a gamble like you say

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Cheaper with collect+?

Goldigger
    Free Member

I sent some royal mail tracked to Slovakia.. Got there no problem.
    Although this was about 4-5 months ago.

I did send them fully bleed with hoses. Shouldn’t be an issue if its shimano mineral oil??

I’ve received all my disc brakes via royal mail from Merlin’s and mineral oil from CRC.

globalti
    Free Member

The guys at my local post office have started asking if there’s anything pressurised inside the package.

riddoch

In theory the brake fluid itself could be a hazard considering the safety instructios on the bottle.
    I would have thought you would be better off declaring what it is at the counter, then if its accepted they would be responsible for return/refunding rather than just disposing.
    I’ve posted a number of brakes without issues since these regulations came in.

riddoch

Dot5 rather than mineral oil though both reccomend gloves.

takisawa2

I sent some Avids, complete with a pot of DOT fluud, & the Post Orfice chap gave me a card asking if there were any chemicals, oil etc. I bluffed it & they arrived ok.

But I’ll not use Royal Fail again though. If they want to cut their own throats & turn business away by imposing stupid rules then I bid them a fond farewell.
    Also, if it means I don’t have to deal with the characterless jobsworths at the Lichfield sorting office, who have nothing but contempt when dealing with the public, then that’s a bonus.

Never been the same since postierich left & headed north. 😉

postierich
    Free Member

No problems sending brakes sent a pair myself just before xmas!
    Just make sure you get the smallest size box as there is a big price rise in between sizes. Hope brakes boxes are within the cheaper size!
    Characterless jobsworths 😀 that’s about right!

earl_brutus

Ok ill risk the Royal Mail they’re in a shoe box so shouldn’t cost zillions thanks for the replies

D0NK

need to send my hope light back, not the battery so it should be safe but I just don’t trust RM anymore, sad state of affairs.

dazzlingboy

Just had some XT brakes delivered by RM. Scary stuff though.

Northwind

I’ve posted brakes, they were fine and shouldn’t trip the “dangerous” rules. But then neither should a rear shock, so it’s obvious RM just do whatever they want.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Brakes are fine.Just dont send mirrors in brown paper not to clever :lol:and yes it still happens.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Anyone posted disc brakes via Royal Mail?’ is closed to new replies.