Anyone own a WD My Cloud? (NAS content)

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by  bails.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone own a WD My Cloud? (NAS content)
  • Kit

One of these: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

I seriously need some sort of NAS setup and this looks pretty good as an ‘out the box’ device, but it looks like you need to use either software installed on your computer or the phone app. Does anyone know if you can access it with just an IP address?

Alternatively, I need something similar which can be accessed from any device either through a browser or as a remote drive.

Aiming for 4TB with backup on a removable HDD.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

I’ve got a QNAP TS-212 which can do all of that. I’ve not actually used the cloud stuff but I use it as a meeja hub. It streams to the TV through the TV itself or the (more convenient) Mediahouse app on my phone or tablet(android).

I’ve also put “My Documents”/videos/music etc folders on there from my windows laptop.

If/when I get a new computer then I won’t need to copy anything over. I’ll just link the folders to the NAS and it’ll all be there.

As is always said on here, RAID mirroring isn’t a backup, make another copy of your stuff and keep it in an underground lair blah blah. 😉

JPR

I know someone who has one and it looks great, except the read and write speeds are a bit slow. I got a synology ds414 (https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/overview/DS414) instead. It does the same kind of stuff but better.

RAID might not be backup, but it is redundancy against drive failure. I like to have raid and then do regular backups of that to external drives that I can take off-site.

stumpy01

I looked at getting one, but I think you can only access the content through the WD software or your browser, rather than having it as a mapped network drive within Explorer. That put me off.

There was a Zyxel one that I was looking at for about £200 that seemed to tick all the boxes, but all that has gone on hold for house re-decorating funds….

cranberry

but I think you can only access the content through the WD software or your browser, rather than having it as a mapped network drive within Explorer.

If that is the case, walk away. Synology or Qnap will be a better choice.

As for “out of the box”-ishness, with the Qnap TS212 all you need to know s which end of a screwdriver to hold – simply open it, fix the drives in, connect a cable or two and make a cup of tea*.

EDIT – * remember to close the box between cable attachment and tea drinking.

acidchunks

I have the 2tb version.

Works fine through Windows explorer, although I can never get it to remember my password between shutdowns.

Can access externally by logging in via browser (but uses flash and it sucks).

The app is ok when it works.

The personal cloud service was plagued with connection problems a month or so back to the point that I got an email from wd apologising for how crap they were.

The app has a bug where it silently re downloads files (that have been exported to the device) if you delete them, even with sync disabled and data plan warnings turned on. royally screwed me over by eating 600mb of 3g bandwidth.

Would I buy one again? Unlikely, I’d get a proper NAS drive instead.

cvilla

Yes for the money it works fine, as acid says can access through explorer and via browser, so can access via all devices on home network.
    There is a set up option about going to sleep which helps with password access issues.

Kit

As is always said on here, RAID mirroring isn’t a backup, make another copy of your stuff and keep it in an underground lair blah blah.

Aye, hence wanting to be able to connect an external drive as backup.

With the QNAP or Synology set ups, can you remote login to them so you don’t need to connect a monitor etc to it if you need to do any housekeeping? Presume the answer is “depends how you set it up” 😀

acidchunks

There is a set up option about going to sleep which helps with password access issues.

Thanks, will take a look at that 🙂

No. I’ve used one. It was OK. Worth getting if you want access to your own files over the internet and don’t want the redundancy of RAID. And if you don’t need the capacity of RAID either.

I went for a Synology DS414. It works well. The Synology apps are good. The config was a breeze.

Synology offers WEBDAV so you can map a drive and access it wherever. WEBDAV performance is not as good as SMB or afp though.

admin for the synology is via a web interface.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

With the QNAP or Synology set ups, can you remote login to them so you don’t need to connect a monitor etc to it if you need to do any housekeeping? Presume the answer is “depends how you set it up”

On my QNAP the only access to admin functions is through a web browser or QNAP app. I type in the local IP address and log in. You can’t connect a screen to it as it’s just a box with a network connection and USB socket. The USB socket lets you copy to/from a hard drive, camera, USB stick etc.

Mine was off eBay from a seller doing them with hard drives already installed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a WD My Cloud? (NAS content)’ is closed to new replies.