Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone own a PSP?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Thinking of buying one to take away on my travels. Is there a ROM cart similar to the Gameboy DS to play er… backed up” games ?

Anyone own a PSP? Saw a guy playing snooker on one on the train yesterday and it looked pretty good – reminded me of Jimmy White’s on the Amiga.

Any nuggets of info would be nice – pros/cons, tweaks or hacks etc.

paradigmshift
    Free Member

You can use the sony memory card to store your ‘back-ups’. This works alongside a modified firmware.

BoardinBob

I’ve got one and I looked into “backing up” games. Apparently consoles with a certain generation of firmware onwards cannot be hacked to play “backups”. There may be some way of doing it but it’s nowhere near as straightforward as the DS

dmiller
    Free Member

you want a pandoras battery… 😉

Ed2001
    Free Member

My son has got one and on holiday my wife got addicted to playing patapon and loco roco, both great games.

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Got one, not hacked but its a great bit of kit still. UMDs are dead cheap these days and if you get a decent size memory card you can store music, pics etc on it as well as access the internet through wireless (albeit very slowly).

Seconded recommendation for Loco Roco and Patapon too!

fbk
    Free Member

As above – you can use game “backups” stored on a Sony Memory Stick but subsequent firmware updates have made it more and more difficult to use them.

iirc (just sold mine) anything with firmware higher than 3.0 is nigh on impossible to hack. 2.71SE is the one to have but you need some knowledge of computers/gadgets to get things set up properly (lots on the web though – google psp 2.71se). Oh, and latest games need the latest firmware, making sticking with 2.71 more difficult 🙂

Good fun and very addictive little console. Especially Loco Roco – great game

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Crackin.

Just youtubed locoroco. looks a laff but doesnt the music send you doolally after a while?

More into racing and first person shooters. Any recommendations?

fbk
    Free Member

I just had ridgeracer which was a laugh (great for inducing RSI!). Quite an old game though – I’m sure there are probably better ones around now.

Not sure about FPS I’m afraid – there are some good 3rd person ones…. can’t remember the name of the one I played a lot!

fbk
    Free Member

I remember – Syphon filter. Crap name, good game 🙂

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of fun from my PSP. Great screen, great sound, easy to use. The only ‘cons’ I found is the UMD, as you say, playing off a stick would be much easier for travel. Homebrew firmware available that might do it. Stock battery life OK but the original PSP has a long life battery option.

LocoRoco is addictive and the music will drive you potty, in a good way. When you start trying to sing it, you know it’s time for a break.

Wipeout Pure is the best ‘driving’ game I’ve played on it, absolutely awesome conversion.

I might sell mine with games and accessories. Drop me a mail if you are interested in photos and details!

Del

wipeout is a very good port.
    grand theft auto is ace too.

tootallpaul

I have one for sale if you are interested- drop me a line.

P

Rich
    Free Member

I paid extra to get one with 1.5 firmware so it plays backups with no modification, but I found I can only get 2 or 3 games on a 2gb card, whereas NDS backups take up little space.

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Yep, wipeout is a great game. If you like shooters Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is also good. Currently addicted to Pro Evo Soccer 2009 which is an excellent port of the PS2 version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone own a PSP?’ is closed to new replies.