Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone only mountainbike?
  • ton

anyone on here only mountainbike, and do no other type of cycling. got a customer who only rides trail centres, nothing else. say’s he is scared to go out into the hill with a map and learn how to read one.

I like trail centres, and could only do mountainbikes, but not just trailcentres.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Does a mountain bike with road tyres for commuting count? 😆

Otherwise, I rarely do trail centres, much happer in the hills with a map. Saying that though, I have been off it for a good while since my last crash, lost my mojo somewhat tbh.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I only ride my mountain bike (since I am now out of commuting range) but on actual mountains. The ones by my house 🙂

scaredypants

I think you should’ve said “does anyone even mountainbike”

Notter
    Free Member

[Puts hand up]

I only MTB, mainly because I’d rather be in the position that if I hurt myself it will be my fault and mine alone.

I realise that’s quite an extreme comment because ‘000s of road rides are completed daily without incident, and the truth is I would actually (secretly) love to do some road riding, but that fear prevents me from doing so. The other frustration is it means I’m not buying more bikes 😉

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup MTB only and 98% of that is Cannock

Did all the natural stuff I wanted to do in the 90s when I first started. All I need now is a frequent fix not interested in journeys and views and routes

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In order of how many miles I do:
    Commute
    MTB
    Tour (on an MTB)

I tried road riding and found it a bit tedious.

Tracey

I’m guilty, last time I rode a road bike I was 12

v666ern
    Free Member

im taking mine to our first ‘mountain’ next week cant wait :D, its going to rain but that wont matter 8)

stevied
    Free Member

Yep, have absolutely no interest in road riding. I’m sure there are good things about it but it doesn’t interest me (apart from riding my MTB from home to the trail head (about 1m on back roads)

weeksy

Me.

Tried road bikes and hate. Of course there are times I use bike to get somewhere but its rare.

scruff9252

Totally understand why some people only ever mountain biking trail centres. They are great for time limited situation where you can only get out for a morning / evening.

You get to have a blast, don’t have to worry about getting lost or over running and can get back to your other commitments. On top of that you know that the trails will generally be good, there will not be walkers on the route behind that next corner and you can get a cuppa at the end.

For the purpose they serve, they are great.

lowey

not interested in journeys and views and routes

I feel pity for your soul.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve no interest in Road Riding, would feel an idiot on a BMX (and probably hurt myself) and trials isn’t for me.

In Summer I’m about 50-50 Trail Centre to ‘the hills’ (which are all man made trails anyway, just not built by local government, or indeed perhaps with their consent), winter I’m almost 100% trail centre.

whitestone
    Free Member

Looking at distance: somewhere between 50:50 and 60:40 road to MTB. Don’t really do trail centres hence the high MTB distance.

ton

lowey – Member

not interested in journeys and views and routes

I feel pity for your soul.

seconded.

Euro
    Free Member

Me too. I recently did a charity road ride on my hardtail with suitable tyres and it was OK*. When i get too old to mtb i’ll maybe take to the road.

* Not really, the pace too slow to stay warm and it was fairly boring.

andylc
    Free Member

I took up mountain biking some years ago. Never road biked again after the first off-road ride. Couldn’t believe I’d been wasting my time doing it to be honest!
    Nowt wrong with trail centres although I prefer being out there making up my own routes.

timbles
    Free Member

yep, off-road only and mostly natural. The road holds no allure.

coogan
    Free Member

Apart from commuting, only mountain biking.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Maybe there’s another question in this- who calls themselves a mountain biker but doesn’t mountain bike much in relation to their other riding?

I am most definitely a mountain biker, but I ride my MTB once or twice a week for a total of maybe 50 miles, while I’m out on the cross or road bike four or five times a week and doing maybe 80 miles. And I’ve gone a few weeks without mountain biking at all but have been out on the crosser and road bike loads.

rocketman
    Free Member

I feel pity for your soul

Well thanks but tbh I’ve seen enough views and been on enough journeys to keep me going

nuke

Yep, only interested in offroad…I love being in the countryside away from vehicles/roads/people. If I couldn’t ride offroad, i’d walk/hike in the countryside instead of road riding or take up some other pursuit like kayaking

munrobiker
    Free Member

Well thanks but tbh I’ve seen enough views and been on enough journeys to keep me going

It’s probably the Cannock bit as much as anything else- is that really good enough riding to be worth mountain biking for all the time, rather than something to fill a hole every few months?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have a Kona PhD for commuting, but it has Easton Haven bars and big flat pedals. The miles make stronger on the MTB. I don’t ride roads for fun, only MTB.
    Mostly natural trails but will ride trails centres probably 3 – 4 times a year.

wors

No, I Love riding bikes whatever type it is. MTB, road or just cycling to the park with my lad.

Northwind

I commute just for a wee fitness boost but other’n that, all mountain bike. But not trail centres only.

ton

I wouldn’t call myself a mountainbiker, but if I have the choice of 2 rides, rod or offroad, I choose the offroad version.

rocketman
    Free Member

is that really good enough riding to be worth mountain biking for all the time

I enjoy it just as others enjoy going somewhere different every ride

Each to their own eh

spawnofyorkshire

currently trying to offload my roadbike to my mate as i never touch it. Will build up a town run-a-round for when i need one but otherwise all i do is mountainbike

andylc
    Free Member

Here’s one: anyone do road biking but go onto a MOUNTAIN BIKING forum to talk about it??

thenorthwind

My road bike has 6 inches of travel. Where do I stand on this?

martinhutch

Only MTB. N+1 is not a recognised equation in my house.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I ride anything but when on road I preffer point to point rather than a circuit, feels point less doing a circle. My prefference is for a big days off raod, again idealy point to point.

I’m always amazed at how often some people get to ride. Do all you 2,3 times a weekers live with the trails on your doorsetp? I get to commute depending on my what is going on in the rest of my life but 90% of the time commuting is it. Not helped by the fact that there is nowhere local to me. 40 min drive is my cloestest which realistically mean I need an entire morning or afternoon. i.e. very rare over the last year or so.

simonside
    Free Member

You mean there are other forms of cycling?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Only MTB for me. Au Naturel and Trail centres. here in North Wales we are very spoilt for choice, but I can head out the door and be in the Clwydian range in 15 minutes rather than drive that time for Llandegla.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Mountain biking only here. Mostly natural stuff in the woods or up in the hills. Trail centre riding occasionally when I need my fix of fast corners and little jumps.

rene59
    Free Member

Yes, me. I have only ever mountain biked, not interested in any other type. If I couldn’t mountain bike I would find something else completely different rather than take to road/cx/gravel/whatever cycling. I don’t even consider myself a cyclist (urgh I hate them! 😆 )

TheBrick
    Free Member

Odd to hate cyclist, even odder to hate cyclists when you ride a bike for pleasure. Maybe its the equivalent of the gay homophobe in denial?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Well, I consider myself a Downhiller predominantly. It’s only really downhill that interests me as I race at least twice a month so most of my riding is at bike and downhill parks.

I’ll walk or kayak for views and map reading. Bikes are about speed, jumps, racing and adrenaline for me. Road riding holds no interest for me but I have got a CX bike for the local woods.

My soul is good, so no pity please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone only mountainbike?’ is closed to new replies.