Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone on here using a lumia 950xl?
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m bored of android and dislike apple completely so am wondering whether to out my note edge and buy one of the above. Anyone got any experience of the phone and it’s quirks faults etc? Cheers.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Windows 10 is …alright.

But to be honest, it’s a forgotten about system and you’ll constantly be annoyed about the stuff you miss out on.

And I was well keen on Windows phone – loved 7 and 8 and put up with the 3rd place thing because it was a nice interface. But they’ve made it more like Android and Apple with version 10 and its lost its uniqueness so you’re just left with being left behind. Microsoft have basically given up on it anyway.

But I got fed up and bought a Nexus and haven’t looked back.

Anyone wanna buy a Lumia 930?

matt_outandabout

My boss has Lumia XL.

She ordered xl by mistake, but now really likes the size to actually do work on train etc.

Battery lasts well, she had had no issues in a year of having it.

She isn’t a big app user – office, outlook, weather and a fitness tracking app I think.

The navigation doesn’t seem as easy as Google maps.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m not bothered about apps as I never use them apart from connecting my garmin which I see windows 10 has. I know ms are about to produce a surface phone so the prices of the current lumia is coming down so I was tempted.

molgrips
    Free Member

I like Windows phone. Looks lovely, live tiles are good, my wife gets two days out of hers.

you’ll constantly be annoyed about the stuff you miss out on.

Only if you want the things that it doesn’t do. I was happy with mine, only a few things that I missed but not severely. I was going to get another Windows phone but when I needed one there weren’t any out.

Research the apps – if you are happy with the selection then go for it. Works nicely with Windows on PC too. For example, alerts are synchronised. Dismiss an alert on your PC, it’s also gone from your phone. I get dozens of notifications on my android phone for things I’ve already dealt with 🙁

Oh and Lumias are excellent value for money too.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks guys I will keep an eye out for a decent price on a 950xl.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Ah, but the thing is the apps aren’t as well developed. They are always missing features they have on other platforms so just because the app exists doesn’t mean it is any good.

For example, the Garmin Connect app worked OK for syncing activities from my garmin fitness watch but wouldn’t show the notifications from your phone.

It’s telling that even the Microsoft apps – Office etc – are better on Android/iOS than they are on Windows Phone.

I mean you could always use the mobile websites for things but they just aren’t as easy to use or functional as the apps.

I like having a banking app, Strava, local buses, the apps for my Grainfather for example – they just don’t exist on Windows Phone. I didn’t think I needed/wanted them but once you have them you realise how handy it is.

Available on iTunes/Google Play <- this little thing at the bottom of adverts will begin to annoy you

Cougar

There’s Android, iPhone and Windows Phone devices in this house. WP is basically the Nintendo Wii of the family, it’s ok at what it does but… well… just a bit “meh.” It’s perfectly serviceable but I wouldn’t buy one out of choice.

That said, the handset itself is pretty good. I’ve got a Lumia 640, which was an upper-mid range phone a couple of years ago. It’s snappy and responsive still, and has a good battery life. Its one major failing is it’s slippier than greased squirrel shit, it’s like making phone calls on a bar of wet soap. I drop it more times in a typical week than I’ve cumulatively dropped every other phone I’ve ever owned. Which probably speaks highly of its construction quality I suppose.

mmannerr

Missing fun apps are not likely appear but due UWP the business and other boring apps probably survive. Windows 10 Anniversary Update is due quite soon and it brings loads of updates including improved Maps. Beta (insider) version works pretty well on my 930 already now.

I like using WP way more than iOS and Android but then again it is company phone so I’m not too attached to it.

leffeboy

I love my windows phone but the Garmin sync is the one thing that might make me move. It syncs activities but won’t do phone notifications any more (it used to). It also seems to kill the phone battery so I keep it switched off

But I’m completely windows ecosystem and love the onedrive syncing so it’s very love/hate

(Lumia 735 fwiw)

molgrips
    Free Member

Barclay’s app is as good on windows phone as it is on android. Strava, well there are clones which are OK but not quite as good.

The ones I’d miss would be the ones that link in with other bits of hardware. For example, if I had a newer Olympus cameras, there’s an app to let you share or upload pics straight from the camera. Android/iOS only.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here using a lumia 950xl?’ is closed to new replies.