Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Anyone on here still play the lottery?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Had a quick go last night and noticed it said on my ticket they are changing the percentage of payouts again. I had a big win last night of £2.60, could be life changing if I use it to but another one and win. Where does all that money go each week?

maccruiskeen

I buy a ticket whenever there’s been a extra double quadruple roll over on the basis that if nobody else can be bothered to win I’m in with more of a chance

Where does all that money go each week?

Quite a surprising amount is paid back as prizes – because big prizes seem rare (as in too rare to even be paid out often these days) you get the feeling the split is something like 90% good causes, 10% prizes. But after sales costs (fees to retailers etc) more than 2/3rds is prize payouts and the rest ‘good causes’

hodgynd
    Free Member

Nope ..the missus had a biggish win 20+ years ago ..and we haven’t bothered since ..
    Lightning doesn’t strike twice ( or does it? ) ..
    One of the lads I work(ed) with won £120k a few weeks ago and promptly quit his job ..just a young lad and has plans to start his own business..

bikebouy
    Free Member

My mother won £16k back in the early 00’s.

She still plays, buys a ticket for each of us each week… she may have won again, but I haven’t heard anything about any winnings 🤣🥴

zilog6128

Not even sure I’d want to win the big prize… plenty of stories of people’s lives turning to shit after they win millions. A few hundred k though would make life comfortable! Might start buying scratch cards 😂

zippykona

I’m just going to check my ticket.

4 euro dips.

zippykona

Only £7.40 down!

Drac

Play the Euro than National but still play.

Most of it is paid out in prizes.

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/life-changing/where-the-money-goes?icid=lich-212:bd:22:sgp:tnl:wmg:in:co

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s just a tax on people who don’t understand probability..

Having said that, I have a friend whose ex husband won £13m and promptly spunked the lot.

dirkpitt74

Still play, although usually only the Euro and the new Set for life one.
    I’d quite happily take £10k a month for either the 12 months or 30 years.

Think the biggest win either me or the parents have had is £50.

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, have entered every draw since the day it started. I made the mistake of using the same numbers which are now etched into my brain and can never forget them. I cannot stop now as if I ever see a big win come up for my numbers I would be regretting it quite a lot!

oldmanfalling
    Free Member

Yep, I still pay the idiot tax. Have done since it started. My problem is that since I always play the same numbers, there’s always the nagging thought that if I stopped, the very next draw would be my numbers.

I fully understand what an idiot I am, and have decided to accept that fact for the 1 in 100,000,000,000 chance it could be me who wins next. It’s happened to other people after all…

zilog6128

It’s just a tax on people who don’t understand probability..

bet you’re fun at parties 😂

It’s a tiny outgoing that most people wouldn’t even notice, versus the slimmest of chances to win a life changing sum. Even if the odds were 1000 times better most people still wouldn’t win. But someone’s got to!

Not to mention all of the community projects, etc that wouldn’t exist without it. I would say the NL is one of the most positive things to happen to the UK in my lifetime.

tails
    Free Member

I still pay the poverty tax, although I don’t keep any set numbers or games. Honestly got to be one of the unluckiest players in the uk, when you add up what you’ve probably spent in a year it’s in the hundreds to get back £30 or £40 if that.

I think the lotto ties problem was people weren’t playing it so they increased the price and the odds. People must be more attracted to mega prizes.

Dickyboy

Play the euro millions, one lucky dip a couple of times a month, so £5 a month to dream about quitting my job and setting the kids up with houses. Not sure my £5.10 win from last night is quite enough to buy 5 houses in leafy Bucks 😕

the-muffin-man

I stopped about six months ago after playing it pretty much from the beginning (only a line or two a week) – biggest win was 4k 15 years ago.

Hadn’t won anything in months so when Premium Bonds changed the rules so you could invest in £25 chunks I decided to do that instead.

So every month £25 goes in Premium Bonds now – I’m looking at it more as gambling without losing your stake than an investment.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Still got the same numbers since it started along with keeping a line I used to put on for my mum.
    Wins are few and far between but, “you’ve gotta be in it to win it!” 😆 (I’ll still be saying that in 20 years time)
    The F.I.L won the Euromillions superdraw raffle in 2014, Million quid and a £50,000 holiday, he was scared of flying at the time so took the 50 grand in cash instead, bit of a shrewd move in hindsight methinks.
    He’s been on a plane a few times since though but he’s still not keen. He doesn’t exactly live the millionaire lifestyle after putting a good bit of it in a few investments but with no real day to day worries and being able to treat themselves, ( and us) when they feel like it, I wouldn’t mind swapping with him!

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Played it religiously from day one up till it changed to £2 a line. Haven’t played it since.

tomhoward

You know the winners that say, ‘oh I never normally play, I just had a feeling I should buy a ticket that week and I won!’

I try and do that, just buying tickets completely at random, always a lucky dip.

So far I have won three times, totalling £58 million.

Edit, damn auto correct. *Haven’t.

alric
    Free Member

I keep meaning to buy a ticket, but I dont know which one to go for

Euromillions sounds good
    There doesnt seem any other way for me to get rich, I might as well give god a chance to help out

Bregante

My sister was a struggling single mum of two kids when she won 175k about 20 years ago. She promptly paid off her mortgage and used the other 100k to buy into a small shop in Portugal where she now lives. Her small shop is now one of the largest textile retailers in the algarve. It doesn’t have to be millions to be life changing.

MoreCashThanDash

I do it most weeks, Lotto syndicate at work, occasionally a Euro ticket for myself.

I understand the probability, but it’s nice to have a laugh, maybe get the odd small win, and do a bit for causes – the Lottery Fund has helped a lot of projects round here.

It is possible that I am personally responsible for funding Team GBs Olympic success since about 1998.

richardkennerley

Play when I remember. There’s so many people say it’s a waste of money, which technically is true, but I like to day dream about what I’d do if I win, so I’m paying for the right to do that! Yeah the odds are impossibly long…. but people do win it and it’s just as likely to be me as anyone else.

Klunk
    Free Member

still play the euro a bit, I know I’m not going to win but it’s nice to daydream sometimes… latest one is pilots licence… and buy a spitfire (I didn’t realize there was companies that will train you to solo one for £50kish) along with a white woolly jumper and pretend to be Robert Shaw in the BOB “DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA!”

croe
    Free Member

It’s a tax on the poor and desperate. Odds are shite and some of the good causes are a bit questionable. I’ll pass.

tomhoward

@klunk, have a go in the 2 seat spitfires, you get to fly it a bit and make the machine gun noises. A lot less than 50k too…

Klunk
    Free Member

what’s 50k when the plane cost £2,500k+

Poopscoop

Yeah, I play.

Never won much and only ever do the lucky dip so I don’t feel bad if I miss a draw.

As some have said, having set numbers would be a right mare if they came up and you didn’t get the ticket.

To me it’s a dream tax.

z1ppy

I joined the work syndicate, as there no way I’m being abandon in the office, if they win!
    I also do the larger euro lottery ones, cause we can all dream after all & it would be great to be able to give my extended family & friends a helping hand.

muddymole
    Free Member

Statistically speaking It used to be the case that although you lose your stake on the lottery, youre actually better off investing your money in a high interest account and using the interest to buy lottery tickets than you are buy premium bonds.

Dunno if this is still the case given the lottery added an extra ball but equally premium bond rates are always going down so I expect it is.

Northwind

My office does it, I don’t. Fair to say that if they ever win, I’m going to be quite grumpy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do it through work only because I don’t know where the light switches are in the office.

maccruiskeen

Do it through work only because I don’t know where the light switches are in the office.

I wonder if businesses are able to insure against some lucky numbers coming up and their entire workforce **** off 🙂

Rich_s

I wonder if businesses are able to insure against some lucky numbers coming up and their entire workforce **** off 🙂

Funnily enough, a lot of commercial package policies do have that. Got to be a jackpot I think, plus a dozen other caveats, but I think it pays out either a fixed amount of like a business interruption claim.

Also, most golf clubs have hole – in – one cover too, to pay members bar tabs.

devash
    Free Member

I bought £5 worth of £1 scratch cards this evening off the back of this thread.

I won £1!

I’ll go and cash that in tomorrow for another £1 scratch card and will promptly win nothing. Then I’ll forget about the lottery for another two years.

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, still playing the lottery from time to time.

Biggest win so far is £100 from a scratch card.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stopped doing the National Lottery when it went up to £2 a pop, now only do The Health Lottery occasionally. Tried The Postcode Lottery for a year or so but packed that in cos I’d won FA.
    My luck is crap though, if I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.

kayla1
    Free Member

OH buys a lucky dip (Euro or UK) for us occasionally, we sometimes win another lucky dip but have never had anything more than a tenner or whatever the next crappest ‘prize’ is now. Meh.

crazy-legs

Every once in a while.
    Impulse buy at a supermarket usually when I see it’s a multi-rollover.

The MD of the last chemical engineering place I worked at, him and his wife had set it up based on their win of a couple of million £.

slowoldman

It’s the only way I’ll ever get that Ferrari.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here still play the lottery?’ is closed to new replies.