• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anyone on here pan for gold?
  • Houns

Had this pop up on YouTube, nice vid (looking at his other vids he must be a stw’er) and seems a good way to spend a chilled day outdoors with a little reward to show for it. Though don’t know how I feel about disrupting riverbeds/wildlife habitat, no matter how well you put stuff back it’s still disturbed.
    So who does it and how much have you found?

CountZero

It’s rather a long way from the People’s Republic Of Wiltshire, but I’ve thought about it, looks like fun, a quiet, calm day spent by a river, with the possibility of greater reward than a small Chubb to show for it.
    Wales is closer, and gold can be found there, but I don’t know where, or what issues there might be.

Houns

By the looks of this chaps latest video then the river/s going through CYB look good, however a quick google brings up news reports/police intervention (with ‘panners’ not this guy)

bonni

I think all of the naturally occurring gold in the UK rivers and subsurface belongs to the Crown Estates. If you want to mine it/pan it you need to pay a royalty to Her Majesty and I think you also need a license (not sure about latter). You’ll also need permission from the Landowner who owns the riparian rights (boundaries of river).

I know at CYB people do it in the Mawddach but it’s illegal. As well as the above, it’s a SSSI.

Drac

Isn’t the Gold Mine due to open there soon?

sirromj

Yes when I was six years old.

tjagain

Been talked about for a while Drac but I have heard nothing recently.
    I met some guys panning for gold at Tyndrum. They said they got enough in a year of weekends to pay for a holiday but not to retire on.

somafunk

I used to pan for gold as a kid when I lived in dalavich on the shores of loch awe (quite near to tyndrum), quite a few wee streams ran down from the hills into the loch and there was an old guy who lived in a wee tin roofed house just outside the village who showed us kids how to do it correctly, never found any large nuggets myself but it was a rare day if you went home with nothing, mostly just flakes though but a decent amount. One of the boys in the village found a nugget the size of a large sultana in the basin of the river avich falls which was pretty exciting.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I don’t pan for gold, but I’m certainly going for gold.

senorj

Small world, I’ve watched a few of his Audax vids.

tillydog
    Free Member

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-48213719

New company is very active in Dolgellau area. Suspect that this is linked to the apparent sudden focus on catching illegal panners.

Drac

Been talked about for a while Drac but I have heard nothing recently.

Seems they’re due to start very soon.

Firm almost ready to start digging for gold

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here pan for gold?’ is closed to new replies.