Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • anyone on here NOT left the UK or know of anyone who hasnt…
  • aP
    Free Member

hmm… 3x this year for me so far and 8x for herself. One more time for me and about 3x more for herself before the end of the year.

My parents have always spent a lot of time in Europe – in 1948 after finishing his school certificate my dad spent a year living in Aachen returning to Wolverhampton to complete his Highers before going on to University after doing his National Service. When I was small he spent probably 3 years away teaching in Granville and a couple of other towns in France. He also used to organise school trips from the mid/ late 50s onwards for his students going all across Europe including places like the Costa Brava where they had to split a party of 60 across 3 different hotels because none were big enough to take them all, and into the Dolomites before the big roads were built and meeting locals who hadn’t met “outsiders”…

I know quite a few people who haven’t travelled abroad, some not more than 20 or 30 miles from where they’ve lived their lives. I don;t think any less of them for it.

Dickyboy

My wife and I were discussing this the other day, she never used to understand my brother’s attitude to holidays and being happy where he was so didn’t feel the need to travel (he has got a nice mostly self sufficient life in France, so it’s not like he hasn’t ever travelled). To me it would be the ideal to live in a spot you love to be & holidays would mean more time to enjoy that space rather than jetting off to other lands. Hmm maybe retiring to Corsica wouldn’t be such a bad plan after all….

cokie

Got a mate that’s never left Cornwall. Intelligent chap with a BSc and MSc.
    Always joke that he needs to get a passport to leave Kernow..

PrinceJohn

Always joke that he needs to get a passport to leave Kernow..

You do don’t you? Isn’t what those there people on boxes are for on the Tamar Bridge?

sirromj

A 19yo lad I work with hasn’t left Kent other than a school trip once. He rarely makes it out of Thanet tbh. Has never been abroad. Heavily into gaming .

My Dad went to Amsterdam once. He didn’t come on holiday with us last the age of five. He doesn’t do holidays. Retired so no work issues to get away from.

taxi25
    Free Member

My wife’s parents hardly ever travelled anywhere, except around where they lived in South Wales.

My Mums from Pontypridd, one of her aunties only went to Cardiff once.

My next door neighbour has never been abroad, nor does he go on holiday. He can easily afford to just doesn’t see the point 🤔

chewkw
    Free Member

Three of my work colleauges have never left UK, even for holiday, for at least 40 years. They are all nearly in their mid 60s now.  I am on permanent “holiday” in the UK from the far east and only going home to take real holiday to relax.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Know far too many people that haven’t.

It’s a sad state of affairs.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I travel all the time for work. Spend a lot of time away from home and in a lot of different Countries.

All I want to when I get home is enjoy where I live.

Although I was thinking of taking a winter break in January or February and having a week on a warm package holiday somewhere or a cruise. It will probably remind why I haven’t bothered with those sorts of holidays for years.

oldtennisshoes

I de some work in Milwaukee in the early 90s. I worked with some folk there who had never seen the sea (or ocean as they called it). That was a bit strange for me.

v8ninety

Bloke I know lives in Bridgnorth. Smart, decent chap, but for some reason never learnt to drive. Went to Wolverhampton once, got mugged, has hardly ever left Bridgnorth since. Some people are just homebodies, and happy for it. Each to their own.

cornholio98
    Free Member

It also slightly depends on outlook. I still remember tv shows like wish you were here (geez 1974-2003) and seeing places that were attainable. I know a few people who have no desire to visit a city or leave their small town so they never get to see their favourite bands or get exposed to anything new.

Mind you they don’t try and stop me doing anything so I cant complain. Each to their own

TiRed

Grew up in south Devon by the sea. Every day was a holiday. So as a kid we seldom went away. The best reason for travel is weather and/or culture. If we had great weather all summer, people would holiday in the south west. The French tend to stay at home.  And it’s the most popular UK destination too.

CountZero

My folks used to caravan a lot, from the late 60’s onward, and continued well into their late 70’s or so, but they did travel further as well, they did several European coach trips, and a Rhine boat trip, although my mum always swore that the only way she’d go in an aeroplane would be if it was Concorde! She did fly in the end, in her early 80’s and did a fly/coach trip to America and Canada. While I’ve been to the States – LA and Vail, for the ‘94 Worlds, and France – Chamonix and the Parc du Volcans, and a day trip to Bruges, they saw a lot more of the world than I have.

johndrummer
    Free Member

2nd time this year for me, 4 times last year, but I can see how some people just aren’t bothered

slowoldman

my Dad grew up in Peacehaven

Isn’t that where they stand the dead up in bus shelters?

most of the older people I know were taken abroad during National Service or via the military.

Yep. My dad visited Egypt, Jordan, Greece, Austria (where he stayed for 4 years behind barbed wire), Italy, Germany (where he found a wife).

TheBrick
    Free Member

Traveling around the UK is well worth it. I am always supprised the number of people who haven’t seen much of he UK, but traveling abroad is very important to help open your mind. So many things are very tough to understand unless you have some experience. I don’t fully understand the us, but I understand it better having been there.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘anyone on here NOT left the UK or know of anyone who hasnt…’ is closed to new replies.