Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • anyone on here NOT left the UK or know of anyone who hasnt…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…my oldest friends parents who are in there 70s have never been abroad, never had the desire to leave Blighty or planning on going.  They went to the Isle of Wight once !

They have plenty of £££ they just prefer to holiday in the UK,

Still makes me laugh (I’ve had 27 years of taking the p!ss out if her dad)

Anyone on here not left the shores of Blighty ?? or know of anyone ?

the-muffin-man

My mum and dad haven’t – neither have the wife’s mum and dad.

I’ve only been abroad 6 times in my 50yrs!

niksnr
    Free Member

I live on the Isle of Wight and have come across loads of elderly who haven’t even been to the Mainland!!!!! Lol

perchypanther
    Free Member

My Dad has never held a passport or been on a plane.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ve never left Yorkshire.

‘Cos if it’s outside Yorkshire, it’s not worth bloody visiting.

zilog6128

Nope, nothing wrong with holidaying in the UK though, there’s loads to see & do. Anyone who thinks they have to go abroad to get a “proper” holiday is a mug!

drnosh
    Free Member

Huh. My wife just HAS to have a holiday sitting in the sun – Spain, Portugal etc.

I just f—ing hate it. Bores me to tears.

As zilog6128 says,

Holidays in the UK, bring it on. Loads to see/do. Much more satisfying to my inner self.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My grandmother hasn’t but I’m struggling to think of many more.

Anyone who thinks they have to go abroad to get a “proper” holiday is a mug!

No but there is so much to see and so many different cultures to experience it would be a shame not to

dannyh
    Free Member

Very much depends on the definition of “proper”. If that means not having to huddle under a golf umbrella as wind and rain lash at bare ankles along the street of a suddenly deserted seaside town, then I would say ‘abroad’ is a better bet.

Admittedly, Cornwall or the like during the recent heatwave would have been gorgeous, but you can’t guarantee it in advance.

Still makes me laugh

why?

Murray

Listening to BBC World Service last night, tragic Windrush stories. One woman was born in the UK, 30 years later went to Jamaica for a family funeral on her British passport and was prevented from boarding the flight home, had her passport confiscated and was effectively dumped in a country she’d never been to before.

Bet she’d never left the UK 🙁

tomhoward

My cousins husband.

‘I’m not giving my money to any foreigners’ etc

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>somewhatslightlydazed
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Still makes me laugh

why?

Just does, suppose in this day and age when travel is cheap and easy to do why would you not go and see diiferent cultures etc

I’m not mocking them or anyone for their choice of leisure time, I guess or assume that most people have been abroad

</div>

Drac

My grandparents, worked well into their 70s being farmers they didn’t have time for a UK holiday let go abroad.

I don’t laugh at them though.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My legs and arms are peeling massively from just one day in Barmouth, Wales a couple of weeks ago…

Dickyboy

There must be plenty of the older generations who never left the UK, before the 1970’s it really wasn’t done much at all. Even leaving Anglesey to go the Bangor was an adventure for my great aunt.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Still makes me laugh (I’ve had 27 years of taking the p!ss out if her dad)

There are 7.5 billion people in the World, not everyone can go abroad for their holidays. Some people obviously don’t seem to have the desire or opportunity.

It seems to me that whilst it’s easy to take the piss out of someone, it isn’t always them that is the joke.

Drac

Holidays in the UK, bring it on. Loads to see/do. Much more satisfying to my inner self.

Much like holidays abroad it’s what you make of it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

what a strange thing to say!

piemonster

Unless they want a good skiing holiday with 100km+ of pistes with reliable snow cover. And a whole bunch of other reasons tbh.

Some great holidays to be had in the UK, but the rest of the world beats the UK in almost all options as far as destinations go. Although I think the west coast of Scotland is a genuine world leader as a sea kayak location.

BoardinBob

I’ve only been abroad 6 times in my 50yrs!

Jeebus! I’ve been to 6 different countries in the last 3 weeks. I’d go mad if I didn’t get to travel!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m not mocking them or anyone for their choice of leisure time, I guess or assume that most people have been abroad

But you’ve been taking the p!ss out of them for 27 years?  Perhaps you are mocking them, then.

whitestone
    Free Member

Travel, for the masses at least, is a pretty recent phenomenon. I think my parents went abroad just once each in their lives. I grew up on the edge of a small village in South Cumbria and of my parents’ generation very few had travelled far even within the UK.

Two brothers ran the neighbouring farm and one had never been to the top of a local hill just two miles from where he lived all of his life. At a guess the furthest he’d have travelled would have been to the local market towns.

piemonster

I don’t think my parents have been abroad much, twice that I can think of.

Grandparents, not including military service never I think.

the-muffin-man

Jeebus! I’ve been to 6 different countries in the last 3 weeks. I’d go mad if I didn’t get to travel!

http://is2.4chan.org/tg/1534710483519.gif

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

But you’ve been taking the p!ss out of them for 27 years?  Perhaps you are mocking them, then.

Calm down dear !!!

its a mutual taking the piss thing – I guess youd have to be there to see the humour, but seen as your a sourpuss I shant invite you !

poly
    Free Member

I wonder why the OP thinks this is unusual.  I know quite a few people in this boat.  None that I can think of are Xenophobic or as far as I know even Brexit voters!  They all have their own reasons for not travelling further but are usually a mix of some of    these:

– don’t like flying (or have at least never tried it and find it off putting)

– don’t want to spend hours of stressful travel to get somewhere

– don’t like hot weather (obviously that itself is not a reason but given it’s why a lot of people travel it does explain why some don’t!)

– don’t have the money, or can’t justify the expense (just for a couple to get passports, is actually quite a lot)

– quite like what they currently do; if you have enjoyed the west coast of Scotland for the last 50 years why is that any different to those who have enjoyed the east coast of Spain?

– have pets which it is far easier to bring with them in the uk

– enjoy peace and quiet and believe (rightly or wrongly) that most tourism leads you towards the opposite

– have eco values that make travelling for pointless pleasure seem rather selfish

– are rather embarrassed about how “brits abroad” are perceived and don’t want to be tarnished with that

– have a medical condition that makes travel more complex, adds anxiety about being abroad and needing help, or introduces extra cost

– don’t even enjoy uk travel – preferring to sleep in their own bed, have the comforts of home

– have a caravan or camper van and don’t want to drive on the “wrong” side

– they have never tried travelling abroad and find the thought of everything being in an foreign language intimidating

Actually when you distill a typical British family holiday abroad down it’s far harder to explain why you think it should be “normal” to want to spend money getting permission to travel, insuring against problems, sitting in a tin box breathing everyone else’s germs, whilst you car and dog rack up huge “storage” costs for being left behind, polluting the environment in the process, to arrive at a mediocre hotel, swim in a pool full of other brits, getting sunburn (and potential cancer), spending more money drinking your liver into a bad way whilst getting a hangover that means you don’t enjoy the following morning, perhaps to spend the next day crammed into an over priced “tour” full of loud annoying daily mail readers, etc.  And for a family of four that probably adds up to a month’s wages if you are honest about the true cost…

I certainly do travel, but find the normal “British” idea of a holiday far more bizarre than people who have considered the options and decided not to follow the crowd.

sbob
    Free Member

I used to work with a chap who had never been abroad. I think it had been 30+ yrs since he’d seen the sea. He used to use his summer hols to paint his fence/shed.

All my family have been abroad, but then the UK is abroad for half of them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Actually when you distill a typical British family holiday abroad down it’s far harder to explain why you think it should be “normal” to want

With that you prove you can make anything sound shit…

Could write the same about a holiday in the UK really if you tried to.

plyphon
    Free Member

My Nan has never flown – but I believe has been to France.

My Mum, off the back of her Mum not flying only went abroad when she met my Dad – My Dad has been all over the world for work in the late 70s/80s/90s when enterprise computing was just taking off worldwide (and ‘mainframes’ etc were still a thing.) I’d like to say he’s well travelled, but i’m not sure he actually enjoyed any of it.

My girlfriends step-Dad is similar, he didn’t go abroad until he met her Mum at 30-odd. They travel fairly regularly now, though.

There was a period of my life where I didn’t leave the UK for about 6 years, whilst I was at college and Uni – I’m not sure why exactly – I just never booked a holiday and was at that age that I didn’t want to go with my parents. It easily happens! Life shoots by…

Keva
    Free Member

I know several people my age who have never managed to get off the island.

nickc

Travel, for the masses at least, is a pretty recent phenomenon.

my Dad grew up in Peacehaven a small village about 6 miles east of Brighton along the coast road.  His neighbour, and elderly chap had never even been to Brighton, let alone abroad (which was a ferry ride away in Newhaven another 2 or 3 miles up the road again)

My dad then joined the RAF and we travelled all over the place; Germany, Cyprus, Hong Kong – all the usual Forces bases, but without that experience I doubt I would have managed it until my 20s.

Caher

Got a mate who’s never been abroad, just doesn’t like planes, boats or tunnels. So kinda limiting.

tonyg2003

My wife’s parents hardly ever travelled anywhere, except around where they lived in South Wales. Visited us twice in England in the 30yrs I knew them when they were alive. My wife also hardly ever went on holiday when she was a child….only to Tenby….. MrsG has more than made up for it with global travel and holidays since we met in 1988!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Calm down dear !!!

its a mutual taking the piss thing – I guess youd have to be there to see the humour, but seen as your a sourpuss I shant invite you !

I’m deeply hurt!

All perfectly calm here, thanks.  It was just a minor point.  Chill dude 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Blimey.

If you like going abroad for a holiday you must hate Britain and if you stay in Britain for your hols you must be an insular redneck?

”Only a Sith deals in absolutes”.

There is also a place in life for good-natured piss taking amongst friends and family. I love it when someone leaps to the ‘defence’ of people of whom they know nothing and into a situation of which they know nothing!

I know the perpetually offended always find something to be offended by, but a thread essentially on the subject of where one goes on holiday is a heck of a place to start a ruck.

I like holidaying in the UK and abroad. I must be one of those ‘bi’ holidaymaker types, typical hedonist, wants the best of all worlds……

breadcrumb

My mam and dad have never left the UK, they’ve never had the desire to holiday aboard. Their choice innit.

It’s over two years since we had our last foreign holiday, daughter is coming up two and we’re not comfortable with subjecting her and other passengers to flying just jet!

kelvin

Bores me to tears.

Agreed. Same here. But you do know that most of foreignland is stuff other than beaches, yes?

rene59
    Free Member

I know plenty people who have never been abroad, including a couple of younger guys in their 30’s who have never left Scotland. For some people everything they like to do leisure wise is right on their doorstep so don’t feel the need to travel far. Others hate the idea of flying so don’t and live far enough away that the prospect of driving to get a ferry or tunnel to Europe is off putting. Some are just so poor they simply can’t afford to, and for some of them joining the armed forces would be the only way. Others have too much responsibilities either for loved ones in their care or who are struggling to make a living off the land. Not sure why any of those reasons would be funny.

cornholio98
    Free Member

Harold Wilson used to go on holiday to the Isles of Scilly. While this looks nice it is just as long to travel as south of Spain for me…

most of the older people I know were taken abroad during National Service or via the military. My mum backpacked around Europe at 18 and one of my uncles went to India in the early 70s. Other than that I am from the south east so booze cruises all round..

we were told at school in the 80s if you wanted to make enough money to own a house to go work in the former colonies (basically Africa) so I know many people who did this.

then there was an explosion in cheap flights and everywhere became accessible for less.

there are plenty of places to go to and have a good holiday in the UK but I want to also see Egypt, Moscow, Rome and all he other stuff I see on the TV or learnt about at school. Or I want to guarantee the weather….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘anyone on here NOT left the UK or know of anyone who hasnt…’ is closed to new replies.