Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Anyone on here got a Stanton Switchback?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has a Switchback and how they are finding them.

I’m on the verge of selling my Banshee and getting one to replace it. On the basis that I’m doing shorter rides than I was, a hardtail seems like a good option.

I have a small Slackline that I can just about use for trail rides and I love it and it seems like my go to bike these days, I just need something bigger. I was thinking of a Switchback in 28 with Pikes and probably Race Face wheels ad they’re really cheap from CRC at the mo.

jontykint
    Free Member

Yea I have one !
    18″ frame (I am 6’2″ with a shortish reach and is just right for the smaller end of frame I wanted)
    RS 140mm revs and Spank wheels
    I’m still in the honeymoon period of a new bike I guess, but I’m loving it.
    I’m not one for reviews as I haven’t ridden enough bikes to compare geometries etc, but it tends to go where I point it and rewards me with a massive grin when I get it right.

timmys

Owning a Slackline and a Switchback would seem slightly excessive! They are essentially built for the same thing. If you want two Stanton bikes I’d go Slackline or Switchback + a Sherpa, or even the 4X + a Switchback. In your situation though I’d probably keep the Banshee and swap the Slackline for a larger sized Switchback.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Thanks chaps.

The Slackline was only staying due to it not being worth much second hand….1/8th head tube, 27.2 seat tube, 26 inch wheels, old Z1 anniversary forks etc. Selling the Banshee and my Devilles will fund the do everything HT.

As much as I’ve avoided the wheel size debate, I was thinking that once I want / can justify a full suss bike again the Swirchback would be easy to upgrade from because it’s 650b and pretty much all of the new frames I like have gone that way.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Anyone else?

I’m really torn between a Switchback and a Ti Slackline. Hmmmm.

wrecker
    Free Member

I can see your dilemma. There is only like £1100 difference. Close call! 😀
    I’ll be buying one when they are available again. Looking forward to owning a hardtail again. Hope it’s better than the Prince Albert (my last HT).

mindmap3
    Free Member

I can see your dilemma. There is only like £1100 difference. Close call!
    I’ll be buying one when they are available again. Looking forward to owning a hardtail again. Hope it’s better than the Prince Albert (my last HT).

But the Switchback will cost me the same by the time I buy forks, wheels and tyres. A Ti Slackline would just get all the stuff off my Rune.

Andy-R

mindmap3 – Member
    old Z1 anniversary forks etc.

Mmm – nice 8)

wrecker
    Free Member

You’ll regret selling your FS mate.

chiefgrooveguru

As someone who bought a full-sus (and therefore second MTB) after we acquired a small person, I would not be without it! With the time pressure of fatherhood having a second bike is invaluable because it means when something breaks or needs servicing I still get to go riding on the other bike. The skill compensation of the Spitfire is much appreciated when I’m more knackered than usual! Ironically I seem to be doing the opposite of going for longer rides now (but less frequently), so a 4-5 hour stint one weekday evening and occasional weekend rides or away trips.

My hardtail is a Cotic Soul (old style so 1 1/8 27.2 with 140s) which seems to have taken over now the mud is here (it currently has one black pedal and one chrome one, after the bearing disintegrated at the end of a ride – the benefit of common, if not colour-matched, parts!)

mindmap3
    Free Member

Everyone keeps telling me that I’ll miss the full suss, but even in September when I had a rising splurge before jnr arrived, I always picked up the Stanton, even before the tails got shitty. It’s not as fast as the Rune but it’s bloody good fun.

Hmm. I’m really torn about what to do.

adventurer85
    Free Member

I had an original 853 Slackline and loved it. Sold it and bought a Kingdom Bike Vendetta2. It is, hands down THE best bike I have ever ridden! Raced it at the Dudes of Hazzard enduro and it did not put a foot wrong. The Dudes is pretty knarly test ground! (Came 3rd)

The Titanium is pure bliss. It is 650b, long low and slack, 31.6 seat tube so can run 150mm stealth dropper, 142x12mm rear end like all the enduro bouncers. I am running a dual position pike which is perfect for up and down. And can get it fitted with bottle mounts.

I also have the new carbon Nomad and the Vendetta2 is much more fun! You won’t miss your full-sus guaranteed.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Well it looks like the Rune is staying because I can now afford to swap the Slackline for something that fits me.

The Switchback on paper still looks to be my favoured option but there is a tiny part of me wondering if I should get the Ti Slackline while I can afford to get a Ti frame. Hmmmm.

adventurer85
    Free Member

Titanium, tick
    650b, tick
    Affordable, tick

THIS BIKE

RickDraper
    Free Member

I really want a Ti Switchback, if only it was slightly longer in the top tube…..

justaute
    Free Member

Switchback seems to be a terrific bike. It also appears to have the slackest head-tube angle (i.e. 64 deg static) by far out of all the 650b bikes I’ve seen (e.g. Kingdom Vendetta 2, Production-Privee Shan 27, etc.).

How does it climb?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ll find out soon…I’ve just ordered one.

Hopefully picking it up tomorrow from Dan as I’m not too far away.

Just need to decide on forks (torn between discounted 34’s and Slant’s). Wheels are a conundrum too. I was going a Hope Pro II on Mavic EN423’s because they’re described as UST. Turns out I need to muck about with rim tape etc. Might give a set of Turbine wheels ago as they’re reduced a lot on CRC.

squealer
    Free Member

Thought I’d share mine now it’s built.

ashweee
    Free Member

That’s really nice squealer, if you don’t mind me asking what size is that and how tall are you?

I bought a 16.5″ frame a couple of weeks ago but have a bad feeling it might be a bit small for me, won’t really know until I get some wheels and do a bit of a mock build.

squealer
    Free Member

Thanks ash,

I’m 5’8″ and it’s a 16.5 frame. It fits me perfectly and feels amazing!

dannyh
    Free Member

Lovely bike, squealer.

Looks like it won’t stand any messing from those pesky trails!

honourablegeorge

mindmap3 – Member
    I can see your dilemma. There is only like £1100 difference. Close call!
    But the Switchback will cost me the same by the time I buy forks, wheels and tyres. A Ti Slackline would just get all the stuff off my Rune.

Sell the Slackline, sell the wheels and fork off the rune. Keep rune frame, build up Switchback with new 650 fork sand wheels and the rune parts.

Then when you want the full suss again, put the 650 wheels and forks on the rune frame, job done.

Pointless having two hardtails for the same job (awaits avalanche of STWers who have ten steel hardtails in shed)

ashweee
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply squealer, that’s put my mind at ease, I’m also 5’8″ so I should be ok with the 16.5″ frame I’ve got.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Anyone on here got a Stanton Switchback?’ is closed to new replies.