Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Anyone need a Business Development Executive/Closer in the SW?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

anything bike related would be a bonus but open to anything really, hard working self starter with a lot of experience under my belt.

Don’t fancy being a member of Joblesstrackworld 😀

email in profile 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

executive ? Ooooo get you 🙂

mtbfix

Is that the revised and gentrified job title of a sales rep.?

bikebiz.com for cycle trade jobs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s just a job title and what’s wrong with being a sales rep?

What industry do you work in MrNutt? I might be able to help.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Not wanting to blow my own horn too hard I can work in pretty much any industry.

I’ve worked in everything from ICT, design, Water Purification, bespoke furniture and beyond so I’m very adaptable and relish a challenge.

many folk are full of hot air but its all about real world results with me.
    (I used to work as a freelance BDM so I’d often be brought in as fresh set of eyes but then I also did 3yrs as a technical project manager so details and deadlines are nothing new to me ether)

If you’re after someone with a keen wit, who can think on their feet, that’s very personable, honest and dedicated then I’m your man 🙂

I’ve emailed you my number GeeTee, give me a bell if you like 🙂

Cheers

A

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Geetree I’m in the food rep industry (Top 4 Grocers) and really looking for a new job. Tough times at my company. Looking for work in the same field, can you maybe help me too?

lunge

Ever thought of recruitment? Seriously, a proven BDM and deal closer is a very appealing person to that industry. If you’ve been a PM in the past then even better.

Do a google for “rec to rec” and you’ll find hundreds of people who would be able to find you something.

robdob
    Free Member

Anyone need a Business Development Executive/Closer in the SW

I think they are in great demand on the B Ark. 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

Ever thought of recruitment?

He may wish to keep his soul intact though…

I think they are in great demand on the B Ark.

Very good.

MrNutt
    Free Member

is that the one sailing from Huddersfield Rob? 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

MrNutt – Member
    details are nothing new to me ether

All that and a sense of humour too 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

damn your ayes! RB

pedantic elastic seaman you 😀

robdob
    Free Member

Possibly. Most of the pick up points are down south!! 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mr Nutt – if you genuinely have a good track record and can prove it, you’ll get something very soon. Properly good sales people aren’t very plentiful. BSing pretenders however, are all over the place.

Check the renewables industry – massive growth and a genuine requirement for good sales people. Not very bikey though.

If you need a CV check, shout – used to be in evil recruitment and often employ freelancers so got an eye for a decent (or bot) one.

CaptJon
    Free Member

MrNutt, would you describe yourself as a brand?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you were a fruit, what would you be?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

You will need to shave but I will keep an eye out.

Sell your soul to Estate Agency?

jam-bo

Check the renewables industry – massive growth and a genuine requirement for good sales people.

Yep, cos it’s all smoke and mirrors.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Geetree I’m in the food rep industry (Top 4 Grocers) and really looking for a new job. Tough times at my company. Looking for work in the same field, can you maybe help me too?

Mosey, my client base isn’t really in that area. The closest I’ve been is talking recently to someone from Anheuser Busch but I don’t have a relationship with them so not sure I can really help there.

I have a friend who recently went to work for Tesco so there may be an angle there. He’s a buyer not a seller though; have you thought about moving to the other side? Things are less tough there I imagine!

Happy to network you as best I can. Drop me a mail if you want.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yep, cos it’s all smoke and mirrors.

So was Y2K but it made me and plenty of others a tidy sum…;-)

MrNutt
    Free Member

me too, fun whilst that lasted eh, and yep I don’t tend to have a problem finding or keeping good work, just thought I’d ask on here, looks like it may well have been worth it too 🙂

wish me luck folks 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

many folk are full of hot air

Isn’t that what sales is all about, as opposed to real work?

I can recall account development managers “hoovering up” significant sales as a direct result of those who did proper enduring account management – taking care of equipment maintenance schedules, seeing that everything got done in an organised timely fashion, bending over backwards 24/7 to ensure 100% availability, managing the customers’ needs, presenting statistical performance data, dealing with issues in regular review meetings etc. Perpetually going the extra few miles, for no thanks, appreciation, or respect!

Generally meeting and exceeding customer expectations and performing in a professional manner in frequently very adverse conditions, at any hour of the day. All for a fraction of the pay of the salesman!

However, the salesmen would be the only ones who got the standing ovation at the annual christmas dinners, for their “outstanding” achievements. This was whilst a significant chunk of the support team looked on whilst drinking Coke and expecting their pagers to go off at any moment! I remember one event held at the National History Museum, where we’d all schlepped there by car as this was the only practicable choice, only to discover that our regional manager had failed to tell us we could have had a cab there and back, or a night in a hotel (on expenses). The tight cxxt trousered the budget he’d been allocated. I bet he got a bonus for saving the money! The award ceremony singing the praises of the sales team lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes! This was our Christmas treat!

Then every year, the sales team would all fxxk off in January, to some exotic far flung place in the world such as Hawaii, for a week of 5* pampering and “toughing it out” in a few kick off meetings. This was inbetween sunbathing and quad biking. All expenses paid! Meanwhile the engineers got on keeping the business running 24/7 (as per usual).

Most engineers became sick of the injustice of it all and left. After a couple of decades of this, you end up like me! All bitter and twisted, wondering what you did to deserve to be deprived of the luxury of a nice ordinary 9-5 job, even just paying an average wage. 😆

The salespeople I know as account development managers have an exceptionally well rewarded life, almost certainly above their true worth, but then they do know how to talk the talk in order to get what they want. This level of sales role is ONLY about hot air IMO! Nothing but a bunch of “puffed up shirts”!

As for touting for work on Joblesstrackworld, what a joke! 😆

Good luck mate! You are gonna need it!

MrNutt
    Free Member

jeeze spongebob, who pissed in your crisps? don’t tar me with that brush fella, I’m a grafter not one of those hot air blowers, I have no time for empowerment gained through out of the box thinking retreats or other such cockeyed marketing koolaid. I bring in (new)business for businesses without the bullshit and I’m damn good at it. That’s my job. 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Spongebob – what’s the expression? If you can’t beat them…..

bazzer
    Free Member

Spongebob, I have to ask if you were that disillusioned why did you carry on doing it ?

Why did you not become one of the salesmen ? Bottom line bulshiting is a skill and not everyone has it. I know a lot of sales people who could not do an engineers job and also a lot of engineers who could not do a sales persons job.

I am an engineer by the way and my way of dealing with the above has been to be a contractor for the last 15 years.

Bazzer

MrNutt
    Free Member

…eat them?

joolsburger
    Free Member

SB

Until five years ago I was one of those puffed up sales guys and I have a few points to note.

You wouldn’t have the work to do were it not for the efforts of the sales team who go out and win the business in the first place.

Sales is a true high pressure job in so much as you might go a year working on a deal only to lose it to a competitor in the final selection, have the budget pulled (I wouldn’t like to be selling into the public sector right now)or have a significant delay crop up that means you don’t get paid when you expected. Add to this the fact that you need 10 -20 deals going on at any time each requiring a level of diplomacy, tact and
    foresight that requires a level of skill many people don’t have. Spinning plates doesn’t come close.

Most products do not, despite the belief of many people, sell themselves. Selling is not just a job that any monkey can do if you put him in a suit and tell him to talk posh.

Do you really think that multi national businesses spend millions of pounds on business critical database tools and implementations (what I sold)on the whim of someone who was simply an over paid idiot?

In my company account managers who actually did the delivery work, implemented the solution and liased with the customer on an ongoing basis were paid well into six figures, even a junior manager in their twenties earned in excess of 50k.

It is wrong to say that sales people are all on the gravy train and not people of worth.

I now do recruitment and I understand that I’m still a completely worthless tosser, luckily my clients and candidates seem to think that I bring something to the table and pay me appropriately.

Yesterday for example I recieved an email that would be of interest to the OP, should I not pass it on because I’m so selfish and there is nothing in it for me?

You worked for a bad business, you should have left and gone and worked for a good one instead of stewing in your own juice.

Spongebob
    Free Member

if you were that disillusioned why did you carry on doing it

Initially due to not understanding what was going on, then a bad recession hit in the 90’s leaving no real alternatives, then being stuck in a job because of doing it too long pidgeonholed me.

I tried for promotion several times and was offered two of these, but both jobs were canned after budget freezes/cuts. My then bosses openly told me they didn’t want me to move when I got these internal offers because I was good at my job.

I’d bent over backwards for these firms and in the last one, which I worked for over 7 years, I’d frequently work stints of 8-9 weeks without a day off and this was a salaried position so i didn’t get paid. In the early stages, I found myself covering a patch whilst not properly trained, when a guy left as another went on holiday.

Getting time off was always a struggle and one never knew when that free time would be. The last straw was whwen my annual leave request was declined 10 months before the event due to a 1 week overlap with another guy. They wouldn’t tolerate two ppl off at once, despite putting me through that on more than one occasion. I could not change the dates as this was an extended family trip booked by my Father in Law.

Flexibility and loyalty was a one way street in that role and as there had been numerous examples of this over many years, I decided to quit.

In hindsight, possibly a rash decision, but I certainly don’t miss being yanked out of my pit in the middle of the night, night after night, or cancelling countless evenings out with friends. Having rows about why I wasn’t coming home for the dinner my wife had prepared. Not having my her screaming at me down the phone at 4am when i was onsite, because the **** at computercall had woken her up with yet another of their rude awakenings in the middle of the night because they hadn’t checked if I was already out on a call! Being asked to fix complex machinery you hadn’t even seen before and in a system down situation. Not schlepping out of London for and hour and a half on a Friday night, only to be called out to the opposite side of London at the second my front wheels hit the driveway. Sitting onsite in the middle of the night for hours waiting for parts which the call centre forgot to send, getting the wrong parts, broken parts, sometimes all of these problems in succession. 36hrs was my longest single shift without a break.

I could go on and on and on, but suffice it to say it was a shite experience, especially towards the end!

It started out as a rewarding comparitively well paid job, but as technology became easy to fix and revenues slumped, it got very boring. Firms could then get away with hiring low calibre, low salaried people. We experienced engineers would have to carry these people and most of them refused to pull their weight They really weren’t up to the responsibility of looking after customers.

The stuff of nightmares!

Spongebob
    Free Member

I think I actuall need a shrink! It’s been years since this ended, but it still eats away at me when I let it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

let it out big fella, you’re better than them. There’s two types of people in Business, the straight up hard workers who care about what they do and the straight up bullshitters who care about what they can take. Like you I’m in the first group, the trick is to stay away from the tossers and let them screw over each other, there’s plenty of straight up business people out there its just most of them are hiding in case they get targeted by the arseholes 😀

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sponebob – ever heard of the “bell curve” in sales? This is what account managers careers follow – they go up and up but get to a point where they can’t go any further due to limited skills then start to go back down the ladder.

Good new business sales people just go up and up – you’ll find many directors, CEOs, etc are formerly/still good sales people. You will struggle to find any ex account managers.

I’ve done both and to moan that new business sales people are overpaid is ludicrous – if anything it’s often the other way – they find new sales and only get a small cut of it.

Sounds like you’ve had a hard time but no one got anywhere in life being bitter.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Jack Dee scrapes a living at it

jam-bo

blimey. and I thought my engineers were a bunch of miserable old men.

MrNutt
    Free Member

well that didn’t take long 🙂 been offered what looks like a good opportunity with plenty of potential, still to hear back on a couple of others but that’s me out of the woods 🙂

krag
    Free Member

You got that job at McDonalds? Woot, free food 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

its autumn, someone’s gotta stop those bins overflowing and causing potential traffic accidents, It’s a huge responsibility 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Anyone need a Business Development Executive/Closer in the SW?’ is closed to new replies.