Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Anyone make their own cycling kit?
  • tjagain

nickc – they are certainly the most expensive shirts i own 🙂 the silk / lycra mix sounds good to me tho

As above – its about a hobby and getting kit that fits and we like. cost is very secondary.

nickc

To me cycling specific stuff is hideous or expensive or often both

Sure, I get that it’s a hobby, and it’s not about the cost overall, but this was your opening post, Like you I look at the price of clothes (that I’d actually buy) and I think they’re expensive, and when I read what you’ve gone through to get 1 shirt you like, I’m now thinking; hey, these clothes, they’re not that expensive after all…I wondered if the process you’ve been through as made you rethink about what’s available on the “high street”, and it’s cost to you.

willard

I tried it once, wanted a very specific type of bag/rucksack type thing for longer trail runs and had an idea for what I wanted. I made the pattern myself, bought the materials from Pennine and was trying to make it with a borrowed sewing machine, but… Sewing lightweight ripstop is really difficult.

I think I tried twice, went through all my material and then found out that Decathlon did something similar that was marginally smaller, slightly less functional, but cheaper than I had been expecting.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

I wondered if the process you’ve been through as made you rethink about what’s available on the “high street”, and it’s cost to you.

I get your point but what i really meant was “expensive and still not what I want” But yes – aldi shirts do look cheap and rapha reasonable in the light of the cost so far. Hopefully tho the end results will be better suited to what i want.

nickc

Hopefully tho the end results will be better suited to what i want.

Yep, cut to fit you, to your spec and material, it’s going to awesome hopefully. Can’t wait to see the finished result

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Cut quite the dash I can tell ya.

Trendy

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can’t wait for these pics!

chvck
    Free Member

Did you get anywhere with this TJ? I’ve not gone as far as making clothing yet but have made a duffle bag (out of cordura) as a practise for making some bike packing bags. Also been modifying and repairing some cycling gear. Next up is making a pair of long johns for camping, once I work out what fabric I’m meant to use and get my hands on a sewing machine which does zigzag stitch… (anyone want to recommend me a decent machine I can buy second hand with metal internals? Maybe a Singer 401?)

joepud
    Free Member

As a designer doing my own thing often rattles around in my brain so would be excited to see what you done tjagain.

Single plain colours that are not garish ( but perhaps contrast panels) No stripes, no spotty designs, no pink flowery stuff for her and most importantly we do not want to match!. NO LOGOS. No zips at the neck, raglan sleeves, Variety of weights and some with the long back but no back pockets Not full length sleeves but not too short.

I think this is a fair comment, there are a few brands that stop you looking like a power ranger but the problem is they are all expensive. No logos is a little unrealistic though what brand wont put some form or logo on something. As for back pockets though I can’t think of the last mountain bike jersey I got that had back pockets.

tjagain

Ok guys – I’ll take some pics.

We got some very cheap “technical” material for Mrs TJ to practice with in a variety of colours. A lot of difficulty getting the necklines right. Half a dozen shirts done and she is getting there.

She has now bought some knitted silk and silk / lycra mix which is too expensive to experiment with but will make lovely shirts that wick but don’t stink

MrsTJ bought a new machine – a janome 2200xt which does all she wants and so far is reliable. does all sorts of fancy stiching including stretch stitch and double row and zig zag

molgrips
    Free Member

I took in my walking trousers very successfully the other day. To be honest they are still suitable for walking too, they are just a more modern cut, but now the calves and ankles don’t flap and get caught in the chain. My next task is to add a splash panel on the shins.

I’m more interested in the needlecraft required to modify existing gear, because it often fits in one place and not another. I’ve a Lidl top that is cut really poorly but could be significantly improved.

tjagain

Three differnt stypoes of shirt made. t shirt style, cycling style ( with the extra panels) and cycling style with 2 back pockets and one front secure pocket

This one is probably the best of the pocket ones
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2keCTwp]20201208_100533[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2keCTy3]20201208_100525[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

These are mine – all in the cheapo material. You can see the different styles tried. I like the navy / royal blue combo and the bottle green
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2keH8Yb]20201208_100249[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    A detail of the three pocket one. this is intended for warm weather when its the only top I have on so the front secure pocket is for my phone, the two rear for snacks and stuff
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2keGGgU]20201208_100020[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2keCTAT]20201208_100042[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    Mrs TJs selection. The pink one is in the knitted silk – £30 in material but a top of similar quality bought is £130+
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2keH6t1]20201208_095918[1][/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr
    Rear pocket detail on the silk one
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2keGGin]20201208_095933[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

tjagain

And before you start – I have bedhead, I couldn’t be arsed tidying up for you plebs and I need a haircut!

midlifecrashes

Looking good TJ, some lovely work there from the back seat driver. Aside from when I’ve got a stretchy roadie top on, and can put it centrally on my back, I’ve largely given up on on carrying my phone in my shirt or mid-layer. They’re too big these days and everything gets dragged out of shape by the weight. If I’m not in lycra shorts, I’ll have a secure pocket somewhere.

tjagain

I don’t really know what to do with the phone. the shorts i wear over lycra either do not have big enough pockets or the pocket is on the outside of the thigh and it slaps about as you pedal – but the front pocket does not work well either as it goes all saggy and baggy around it

whytetrash

No offence buddy but can’t see the CEOs of Assos and Rapha panicking about those efforts 😉

chvck
    Free Member

Those look great TJ. Did Mrs TJ just prior experience to figure out patterns or follow specific ones? I’m still at the stage where I’m much more comfortable following a pattern…

tjagain

She found patterns to follow

joepud
    Free Member

good job dude! Extra deep front pocket is nice with the size of phones these days.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Anyone make their own cycling kit?’ is closed to new replies.