Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone make their own cider?
  • Simon

In the bottom of our garden we have a few apple trees. Every year (for the last 20 years) as I’m clearing away the windfall apples I think to myself I should put this fruit to good use and have a go at making cider. But I never have.

So, cider makers of Singletrackworld please share your cider making methods and hints and tips 🙂

trout
    Free Member

beer brewer here and had a go at turbo cider
    Have a look here for info

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=48&sid=1d58f13f0894016e60255bf9e7193293

dannyh
    Free Member

So, cider makers of Singletrackworld please share your cider making methods and hints and tips

They can’t because they’re all blind and laying down unconscious in their piss-soaked trousers……..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    infidel
    Free Member

60 pints sitting in a barrel in the shed priming at the moment. This is my second year making cider – we have quite a few trees in the garden!

Last year was my first crack at this (been in the house 3 years). Things I have learned:

1. In the absence of proper cider apples (we have none off these), eating apples are fine. 2 of our trees are ‘James Grieve’ and I use these almost exclusively. They are a mixed purpose apple – a tartish eater- or a sweeter cooker. They don’t have too much sugar which is useful.

2. Don’t use 2 many cookers as they make the cider rather thin and acidic tasting.

3. Scratting the apples is probably the most important bit. I managed to find a local enthusiast who lent me his kit and getting good shredded bits makes the pressing bit easier. You can use an electric garden shredder as long as its clean…

4. Be careful about how much sugar (if any) you add to the juice with the yeast (and use cider meat – £1.50 from a homebrew shop). Problem with this bit is that you only know how much/little sugar to add via trial and error with your apple mix. Last year I added sugar and the yeast ate it all making ultra-turbo super-dry cider. 10% alcohol and I had to add a teaspoon of sugar to pint to drink it!!!!

5. All that online stuff about campdens tablets etc. is a bit unnecessary. It may help I guess but I’ve had success with apple juice and the yeast in a fermenting bucket. I leave it in the shed for 3 weeks and then barrel with about 150g (ish) of sugar to prime.

6. Good luck and do it!!

Simon

The apples are mainly small red eaters, don’tknow the variety and some big green cookers.
    I have an electric shredder, it’s been used for shredding garden stuff – how clean would it need to be before I put apples through it?
    How do you go about extracting the juice once the apples are shredded?

infidel
    Free Member

I’d try and give the shredder a good rinse though so no visible vegetation is on it. You’ll need to press the apples – you can buy a press off the Bay or make your own. At this time of year though I’d say your best bet is to google apple pressing near you. The national trust and many open air museums do pressing events now-ish so you can try it easily first.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone make their own cider?’ is closed to new replies.