• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Anyone make shims to reduce 15mm thru axle fork holes to fit standard qr axle?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

Got given a 29er Voodoo frame with Suntour Radion front forks which we were hoping to build up. Rear end is standard 135mm qr so that’s fine, got some spare wheels. The forks though are for 15mm x 100mm thru axle but are a bit weird as not threaded and take their own Suntour specific axle – don’t have this or a thru axle front wheel anyway (so standard reducer wheel adaptor no use). Because we already have spare standard qr front wheels anyway I was just wondering if there are some kind of 15mm shims you could use in the fork axle holes that bed into the OLN axles of a standard qr wheel, so could then use it? If all that makes sense…

Just thought I’d check before searching for a new front wheel that will fit. Cheers

tjagain

is the distance between the fork legs not bigger?

redstripe
    Free Member

100mm inner width

BearBack
    Free Member

i guess you mean like Fox used to do with 20mm > 15mm conversions on the 36?
    https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=577

Not sure if it would be a problemsolvers type product (or ebay jobby), but have never needed to look but I doubt it as the market for a specifically sized shim for a suntour q-loc droipout is probably a pretty small market. I’d think you’d probably have more luck addressing the current end caps on your QR wheel.

redstripe
    Free Member

Yes that’s it BearBack something like that to go from 15mm hole down to 9mm.
    Not that jimmy748 as this needs a thru axle wheel already, but thanks for linking

BearBack
    Free Member

you could possibly employ your local machine shop to turn a a piece of ally to 15mm with a 9mm hole on both inside faces to locate and center the qr axle.
    Length of each would depend on the fork lowers and you’d need a custom length 5mm QR skewer to lock it all together… but you’d also need a way of that QR skewer compressing everything against the outer faces of the fork lowers otherwise it’ll explode.
    re hubbing the wheel might be your cheapest/easiest/most reliable/safest solution

otsdr
    Free Member

No, it is not possible to install a QR wheel in a through-axle fork. Depending on the front hub, you might be able to find some 15mm adapters for it.

DezB
    Free Member

If it’s a budgetary thing, i’d get some of those cheapo Chinese forks off Ebay. Be about the same price as any adapter (if one were actually available) and function just as well as the Suntours, I would think.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A qr front won’t physically go into a 15mm fork without splaying the legs, for 7mm I can’t imagine it’s the end of the world but it could be enough of a pita to put paid to any plans fairly quickly.

If the fork lowers are unthreaded you could likelihood get a couple of top hats made up but it’ll be “expensive” and involve some serious pratting about, something like a wheel building jig adapter or roof rack adapter would be the best chance I’d think…

Eg. https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Minoura-Thru-Axle-Adapters_55695.htm

Oh and you’ll need a rear qr not a front one to reach.

This is the proper axle you’ll want for the forks I think.

https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b642s581p69287/SR_Suntour_15mm_QLC_Axle/RS_GB?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-fitlayF5wIVSLTtCh3M2QkVEAQYFCABEgISLvD_BwE

redstripe
    Free Member

Yes seems a lot of pratting about in hindsight, managed to get a 15mm thru axle front wheel wheel off a mate and bit the bullet for £27 to get the right big axle skewer thing for it (thanks for the link!). Cheers

DezB
    Free Member

Little did I know when eyeing this thread a few weeks back that a Voodoo equipped with one of these dodgy axles would find it’s way into my garage!

The lovely Suntour QLoc axle is in bits… no circlip, no spring. Luckily found a thread on MTBR suggesting ditching all the (ahem) “clever” parts and just using a normal QR end cap to hold it all together.
    Bike owned by a young lad, my niece’s bf, and came to me because the BB had lost all it’s bearings. Hope the QR fix works cos he has a budget of £0 which has already been blown on a UN55 (73mmx118 of course, not matching 1 of the 6 (SIX!) spare square taper BBs I had in my box.)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Anyone make shims to reduce 15mm thru axle fork holes to fit standard qr axle?’ is closed to new replies.