Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • anyone lost front teeth from bike related crash ?
  • iainc

I had a bad faceplant back in December which was a hospital job. Didn’t break any teeth but chipped a front one, which is now a bit loose, quite possibly as a result of my bite point changing post crash.

Just made an appointment for dentist at end of week…

Google is not giving me much inspiration !

Lets here your tales of woe

theotherjonv

No, but teeth are my phobia, and you’ve just raised one of my nightmare scenarios. so thanks for that.

iainc

😀

brakes
    Free Member

paging noteeth

noteeth
    Free Member

paging noteeth

Over the bars, aged 12 or so. The impact blew two upper front teeth clean out of my mouth, roots n’ all. Shattered another upper in half (the nerve had to be drilled out… much pain). A friend had the presence of mind to put the two ejected gnashers in some milk (sourced from a nearby Mendip farm). Dentist re-inserted them, but a subsequent infection meant that they (and the rebuilt half-tooth) had to be removed. There’s too much tissue loss for fancy (i.e. expensive) synthetic bone & titanium implants, so I’ve worn a dental plate ever since. A good party trick, but something of a liability when biting into apples, snogging gurls or shouting in public places.

I did have great teeth as a kid, so it put paid to my destined career as an international model. But all things considered, it could have been worse. 🙂

iainc

noteeth – that sounds horrible !

I saw dentist a few weeks after crash – she told me front ones were a bit cracked but still connected. My bite point moved out a bit on bottom from the crash and I ‘think’ that is keeping one if the top 2 a bit loose. Will see what she reckons I guess !

noteeth
    Free Member

noteeth – that sounds horrible !

It looked pretty horrible, too. 😀

soulwood
    Free Member

Came off my one and only road bike aged 19 some 21 years ago and snapped my front tooth in half vertically as it exited through my upper lip. Cue several caps, crowns, posts, infections, root canal fillings over the next 10 years. Thought recently that it was all behind me until excruciating pain in my lower front teeth revealed that two of them had now died as a result of trauma received from that bike crash. Cue another £800 pounds in dental fees. That road bike was only £300 the diesel on the road was only a quids worth but the cost to me is still unlimited. Fat tyres all the way after that though!

LMT
    Free Member

Yep over the bars, front ones where loose for ages, dentist left them alone and waited for them to settle down. After about 1 year I had the front one which I lost about 1/4 of in a chunk they just stuck an additional piece on.

My front two have shattered all the way through you can see the cracks when you shine a light through, and ive lost all nerve feeling cold/hot doesn’t seem to effect them. Been told at some point will have to have them removed, my crash was 5 years ago and so far still have my front teeth.

iainc

LMT – that sounds not dissimilar to my likely situation. Do you remember how long they were loose for, roughly ?

Cheers

LMT
    Free Member

Think it was about 3 months, I had concussion lol! I did spit a chunk of tooth away, which I was reminded of by my mates after the crash, none of them picked it up for me 🙂

The good news is they are rock solid now, I tried not to google and just got on with it, dentist xrays them once a year and I have to go back every 6 months just to check them out. Dentist said if the tooth went black round the gum line then the tooth is dead and that’s when the trouble starts.

iainc

thanks for that, I am around 4 months so will be interested to hear the diagnosis on Thu !

terrahawk
    Free Member

I lost my 2 front ones in a scrap on a bus when I was 17. One was punched straight out, the other was snapped and needed surgery to remove the root. Lucky punch, the tw*t.

I’ve worn a plate ever since. I remove it when I’m racing cos I can suck in more air 😉 and I’m worried that if I crash and it goes down my throat, nobody will know.
    I think I’m quite well known these days for being the gap-toothed one who sounds like Peter Beardsley.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

I face planted a couple of months ago and managed to loosen one of my font teeth (as well as breaking two vertebrae – ouch!)
    I hoped I’d just loosened it and it would sort itself out, but unfortunately it had broken the root below the gum line.
    I’m now a proud denture/plate wearer, will decide soon whether to go tp the expense of an implant.
    Good luck!

sandwicheater

One of my biggest fears when riding is smashing my face and loosing teeth (well that and being raped by a bunch of clowns) and have considered gum shield when doing jumps.

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 sandwicheater
    my worst fear too
    Clown one depends…

40mpg

Not crash related, but I was recently having occasional pain from one of my rear teeth as it was impacting on another when biting.

My dentist just shaved a bit off teh offending tooth – no anaesthetic or anything needed – sorted bite out, all settled down, perfecto!

Hoping for a similarly simple solution for you 😀

parkesie
    Free Member

I managed to go through a car windscreen and only loose a tooth. Bike was a write off bent frame bent fork mangled wheel.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

A loose front crown of mine came out and fell onto the road just as i crested a long climb and started decending, panic and automatic reaction was to brake forgeting that my training partner was on my rear wheel,he ran into the back of me ,we both ended up on the deck him with a hole in his knee,and me with a gash in my arm from his chainring that needed 22 stitches. 😳

chuffnuts

Luckily no teeth lost, just a nose!!

ton

lost my 2 front top ones in a rugby incident 30yrs ago.
    lost my bottom 2 middle ones in a pub incident 10yrs ago.
    i dont fear the dentists needle….. 😆

IanW
    Free Member

Lost two front ones in an interface with yz125 when I was 16 ish and a couple more subsequently over the last 30 yrs which the dentist tells me is common when some teeth are lost in a trauma.

Depends if you snap em in which case you can have the remains crowned or if there knocked out in which case it’s an implant/bridge or falsies.

Btw I was told if you have a tooth knocked clean out to stick it back as quick as possible(especially if it’s a child) because they can retake.

loddrik
    Free Member

I chipped my front tooth when I was 8. It was when the BMX’s were coming in and I still had a chopper. I was doing a wheelie down the road when my front wheel fell off and I watched it roll away from me whilst trying to maintain the wheelie so as to avoid the inevitable. Alas it wasn’t to be and the front end went down and I went over the bars and landed on my face. Luckily I passing driver scooped me up and took me home to my mum. Needless to say I got a BMX that Christmas as mum obviously realised that the chopper wasn’t up to the job. My tooth is still chipped as a reminder.

Northwind

I lost a tooth to decay this year, which I’m blaming on all the haribo I eat while cycling.

iamtheresurrection

I’m a bit like no teeth. Over the bars at 15 riding down some natural steps and broke the fall with my mouth and nose.

One tooth clean out, two more snapped in half on the top. Three root canals (one tooth was untouched in the crash but needed to be support for the bridge). Broke my nose at the same time, nearly lost all my bottom front teeth as the front of the gum came away exposing some roots. Dentist was baffled how that happened but after two years of a flappy bit of gum it all seemed to meld back together. It was as bad as it sounds…

My jaw is off centre now, with a bad underbite. I haven’t eaten an apple without a knife in 24 years, and I like apples… 🙂

Luckily I still have my hair.

JohnnyPanic

1986, learning to kayak on the Tryweryn.
    Capsize & underwater impact with a rock.
    Two front teeth snapped – One stump was later removed with difficulty, the other formed a basis for the bridge.
    No trouble since.

juanking

Same here, flew over the bars, landed on my chin then momentum threw my head forward. Snapped top 3 teeth, resulted in one being removed then had a bridge fitted for front top 4. Perfectly serviceable however when I feel flush will replace them/it with 4 implants.

iainc

Lots of interesting points, and I’m a bit more enthused fore my dentist trip now 🙂

paul4stones

Do you want input from a one-armed dentist?

ell_tell
    Free Member

I had a bad face plant last year (similar to yours as I recall posting a reply to one of your posts) and lost half of one of my incisors, thus exposing the nerve.

I had some dental cement put on as a temporary measure whilst I healed and luckily I avoided infection in the broken tooth. Ultimately though I was left with root canal treatment (sounded worse reading about it online than the actual procedure was) and then had a composite crown made to re-build the chipped tooth.

So all in all it worked out okay and I now have no nerve in the broken tooth. Plus it only cost me £40 for everything – I think my dentist must have given NHS rates…

mintimperial

One of my top front teeth is a long way further back than it used to be after I took a fairly big bite out of the Forest of Dean. Dentist checked it a few months later and said it was fine and “probably” wouldn’t fall out, it’s still there 18 months on. Hurt a bit at first but then so did the rest of my face.

I’ve also had two root canals but those are just because I ate too many sweets as a kid. They’re not that bad, having your nose stitched back together is worse… 😐

GolfChick
    Free Member

Face planted a year ago this month, jaw broken in three places and lost my three front teeth. Im now in the midst of implant treatment, next step is bone density scan to see if I need a bone graft in my jaw to support the pins. Thankfully its NHS funded or I’d be stuck with false teeth forever! Needless to say there are now not many pictures of me, at least where you can see my head, and its amazing how long I can go without actually looking at myself in the mirror, hey ho looking on the bright side I’m still walking…. nope no matter how many times I say it, it still doesnt make me feel any better!!

iainc

Yeah, I had a pretty sore face too, with nose broken in 3 places, degloved chin and concussion. The scarring is fading a little now but still numb chin and achy teeth…

ico86

I’ve been on the receiving end of two toothy disasters, first with a hockey stick to the face. It pushed one of my front teeth back in my mouth, severed the nerve and broke the jaw around the root. The dentist had to take the nerve out and root canal the tooth, then he splinted the tooth to the ones either side until the jaw fixed up and it was right as rain! until….

I smashed it out along with the one next to it in a silly clumsy low speed crash into a tree. Apparently teeth with root canal fillings are more brittle than live ones. This was all a bit more fundamental than the first time around.. loads of messing about with crowns, then post crowns, a denture then implants. Brutal amount of money but I’ve now got better teeth than when I started, silver lining and all.

fingers crossed its a simple/cheap fix for you!

nosenseofdirection
    Free Member

Always been scared of losing mine however I did crash around age 5 quite badly when my uncle sent me off to play on a 1/12 hill on a fold up bike that he didn’t do up properly! I face planted going down it but my face and lips bore the brunt. Still have a huge top lip that may come in handy if it happens again! 🙂

thecaptain
    Free Member

Wife tried to eat a Harley, but came off worst. Just had second implant in top jaw and also has a row of shiny veneers on lower front teeth. Not really recommended though the end result is not too bad.

maccruiskeen

Never lost any teeth on the trail. Found some though

benji
    Free Member

Yep, road bike, too fast into a wet corner, it ran wide, touched white line and down we went hard knocked out, snapped upper front teeth clean off, not to mention a few fetching scars. Then coming back from a race managed to detatch one of the replacements using nothing more than a powerbar energy bar.

ceepers

hopefully this will give some hope…..

Teeth verses skateboard, knocks one out and snaps the other in half….

Two implants, tooth whitening and two porcelain veneers on the little side teeth to give them the right shape and he’s back smiling!

MadBillMcMad

just nipping off to rummage & get the rugby gumshield out for Sundays Enduro.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘anyone lost front teeth from bike related crash ?’ is closed to new replies.