Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • anyone like folk?
  • pjd
    Free Member

frightened rabbit
    king creosote
    fence collective
    bon iver
    +1 James Yorkston, Mumford and Sons

MrAgreeable

Check out the "Folk Is Not a Four Letter Word" compilations – I really enjoyed them despite being a philistine who associates the genre with tank tops, warm ale and singing sea shanties while sticking your finger in your ear.

Also really like this proto-hip-hop tale of murder and infanticide from Bonnie Dobson, heard on a mix from Weird Gear:

And my friend found this video of an early TV performance by Pentangle, where the drummer is giving that James Brown chappy a run for his money:

feenster
    Free Member

Chris Drever

funkynick

Picked up the BBC Folk Awards CD a while back and have to say, there is some very good stuff on there, not that I can remember any names or anything…

Oh, and there's a bonus CD with new/young artists which is really good too.

IdleJon

I was thinking about this thread last night and realised that I hate suggesting folk music to people, not because it's crap, but because it sounds so tame or twee when recorded.

Oysterband are a case in point. My wife think they sound like a Christian, easy listening band on cd, and she thoroughly enjoyed them live this summer. Completely different experience.

I'd love to see The Pogues play in Brixton Acad the week before Xmas but can't make it up there.

Hazel
    Free Member

If you liked the Croft Number 5 stuff mentioned earlier try Martyn Bennett, or trecherous orchastra.

Merak

Iain Morrison is well worth a listen. Folk with a Celtic twist, but I am biased.

http://www.peatfiresmoke.co.uk/

uponthedowns
    Free Member

As I'm from north of the border I have a certain empathy for the celtic stuff so I'll recommend Peatbog Faeries, Braebach and Shooglenifty.

Second the Bad Shepherds- bloody good in concert.

The Demon Barbers also good live.

fluffy

Bit obvious but if you like show of hands, try Steve Knightley's solo stuff, 'tis very good

+1 for Roddy Woomble & Kris Drever & Martin Simpson

I would also very much recommend anything involving John McCusker (especially the Drever, Woomble, McCusker cd "Before The Ruin"

Also worth checking out alela diane, bellowhead, Karine Polwart, Heidi Talbot, The Shee and Bella Hardy all of whom are excellent live

thirded the bad shepherds, saw them at cambridge this year, brilliant live, off to see them again at Pocklington shortly

hosepipe
    Free Member

chris wood is ace. how about vetiver, backed by devendra banhart. even the be-good-tanyas are ace and very praised. monsters of folk album is good. mazzy star! desert folk?!

Olly
    Free Member

whats "folk"?

dunno if this stuff is folk:

Mountain Goats (possibly the best act ever)
    I am Kloot
    Clann Zu
    Andrew Bird
    Crimea
    Tom Mcrae (miserable sod)

and more "celtic" stuff…
    Flogging Molly
    Gogol bordello
    Dropkicks???

Mountain goats are godlike though.
    were in london last weekend
    didnt go 🙁

nicko74

Bob Dylan, til he sold out and went electric 👿

The missus keeps telling me she thinks she likes Crosby Stills and Nash…

mt
    Free Member

Julie Fowlis-anything thats she sings.
    Kate Rusby-all good if a bit teary at time, great live. (she is from Cawthorne not Barnsley)
    John McCusker sems to play onload of other peoples stuff apart his wifes (see above).
    Faustus
    Malinky
    Eddie Reader (ex-fairground attraction) has some really great recordings, Peacetime or Songs of Robert Burns.
    Kareen Polwart-Fairest Floo'er is fantastic loud.

A good thing to do is buy a copy of the radio 2 folk music awards when it comes out each year. I often choose new stuff based on whats on it.
    Have fun.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

mt – Cawthorne is in Barnsley, unless the south yorkshire separatists have really got their s**t together.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Try some English stuff……
    Oyster Band as mentioned, Brass Monkey produce stonking stuff when together, best of the lot! could listen to them for hours…
    Q

thejesmonddingo

Mitch,I live in Silkstone,and neither Cawthorne nor Silkstone is "in" Barnsley.
    Ian

sideshowdave
    Free Member

You seeing them on the tour dave?

their only playing London i think so wont catch them on tour this time, but if it was Bright Eyes touring i would sell a kidney to catch them live 🙂

momo

Another vote for Mumford & Sons, really liking them at the moment.

And Flogging Molly, I wouldn't necessarily think of them as a folk band, but brilliant nonetheless!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oh God I forgot gorgeous women folk: Julie Fowlis and Kate Rusby!

boxelder

the Honk Toot Suite
    Kris Drever

and what mrmichaelwright said

TonyL
    Free Member

Another vote for Tunng also Bon Iver

Have a look at the Greenman website http://www.thegreenmanfestival.co.uk/ lots of good links from this site also a relly good "folk" festival.

metalheart
    Free Member

I like Chris Wood Martin Simpson James Yorkston and Tuung.

Also Alasdair Roberts.

Not keen on Bon Ivers…

Some of those mentioned (Bonnie Prince Billy & Gillian Welch) are ace but they are not what I would call folk (although they do have folky elements…)

I would have to say that the newer stuff (Shooglewhatever yer fancy etc) just isn't my kind of folk.

Dont forget the classics like Bert Jansch, Martin Carthy and Davey Graham now though

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

thejesmonddingo: whether you want to admit or not, both Silkstone and Cawthorne are covered by Barnsley metropolitan borough council – that makes them part of … now let me think. I'm from Darfield, and very proud to say I come from Barnsley – I'm ready for my insults now please.

CountZero

Saw Karine Polwart last night, wonderful stuff. Mumford & Sons, Kate Rusby, Kris Delmhorst, who has a wonderful, melifluous voice, Red Bird, a trio that Kris is in along with her husband, Jeffrey Foucault, the Smoke Fairies, Cerys Matthews, Julie Fowlis, Indigo Girls, the Wailin' Jennies, the Great Lakes Swimmers, Erin McEown, Shawn Colvin, Patti Griffin, Emmylou Harris, Shearwater, The Mummers. Oh, and Fairport Convention, along with Sandy Denny, one of the finest singers this country has ever produced. Listen to 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' which Sandy wrote when she was fourteen. Then listen to your average X-Factor contestant.

Esme
    Free Member

Strike the Colours

. . . mainly 'cos Jenny is my cousin

khegs
    Free Member

Eliza Carthy is good, and I think Vashti Bunyan has recorded a new album, Her voice is very marmite though*.

Don't listen to a great deal of folk to be honest though unless you count stuff like The Levellers, The Waterboys and Billy Bragg. Oh and quite a bit of US folk like Pete Seeger and Tom Paxton.

Martin Carthy, Bert Jansch/Pentangle etc are all worth a listen, too.

*Diamond Day of that T-mobile ad is her.

EDIT: Ninoskika are pretty good, too. I found them randomly on the interwebs a few days back, and I might well get their album soon.

Shandy
    Free Member

Cumbria's own The Witch And The Robot

sc-xc

kennyp – Member

Try Flogging Molly. Bit like the early Pogues, but better.

the musics OK, but the voice? It's like a bad Pogues tribute band, putting on a weird accent. FM were OK live, but not a patch on the Pogues.

Agree with DKM though, and Gogol Bordello. Have scanned the thread but see no contribution from John Hooper, so I'll recommend New Model Army (anything – but the new album is **** brilliant) and the Justin Sullivan solo album. Try Rev Hammer as well…

Northwind

Surprised to see no recommendations for Frank Turner… Only man ever to play the Cambridge Folk Festival and the Reading Festival punk stage in the same year :mrgreen: Very upbeat, occasionally a bit acoustic-punk- he used to be the singer/songwriter for the hardcore band Million Dead. The First 3 Years album would be the sensible place to start. This one gets the big 5 gold stars treatment off me, I love it and I can't recommend it too highly.

If you like that, then Joie/Dead Blonde Girlfriend is another good one, New York antifolk at its best, without trying too hard to be wacky like the Moldy Peaches.

Hum, what else. I'm just in from a Colin MacIntyre gig, formerly Mull Historical Society, good choice if you like your folk a little bit indie. If you prefer it a bit more pop, Emmy the Great's album First Love is, I think, absolutely superb. I'm not quite sure how to sum up the Earlies, all I can say is I like 'em.

Think I'll be downloading a lot of stuff from these posts…

manton69

If you want contemporary folk have a gander at Bellowhead. Along with the Imagined Village and a few of the others already mentioned they are developing new styles of music based on the folk tradition.

I would also recommend Jim Moray as somebody who is doing some really interesting stuff. If you get a chance to see him and the band live it will be really worth it. The sound is much bigger than the recorded stuff leads you to bieive it will be, then Jim stand on stage alone and signs a cappella. Simply stunning.

To be honest folk is such a broad church that if you dig around you will find something that tickles your fancy. Above everything else these guys really do know how to play.

anagallis_arvensis

king creosote

I'll second that and add Pip Dylan "Aint a Classical Piece…" is a great album and HMS Ginafore. Saw all three do a gig together not long ago and they were very good.

http://www.fencerecords.com/artists.php

Trampus
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Oh, and Fairport Convention, along with Sandy Denny, one of the finest singers this country has ever produced. Listen to 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' which Sandy wrote when she was fourteen. Then listen to your average X-Factor contestant.

Agree with you there Xipe 🙂

Am also a fan of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young 😳

Saw Steeleye Span yonks ago but just didn't get them.

cinnamon_girl

Toddles off to CG Towers archives to find "Liege and Lief" – what a brilliant (vinyl) album 😀

Trampus
    Free Member

Would invite you to walk awhile, cg, but it's the wrong album! 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Great Lake Swimmers get my vote. Love Ongiara.

Jackson C. Frank.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Crikey – just read one thread on real ale and now one on Folk music – this place just become more weird by the day!!

Lots of good bands mentioned but no one seems to have mentioned the Levellers – love their agressive/political style.

Pulls on chunky knit jumper, picks up tankard, stick hand over left ear and oooooooowwwwwww I played the wild….!!!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The Roots Union, including Philip Henry – http://www.myspace.com/therootsunion

They just do great music, which happens to be folky…

can-uk
    Free Member

Here's a good music map.. enter bands you like and it returns similar artists
    Live Plasma

Goz
    Free Member

The Decemberists and Mad Dog mc crea….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘anyone like folk?’ is closed to new replies.