Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • anyone know the proper name for this? (electrics content)
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

the switch in this has died so i need to replace it but searching on the net for "shower power switchy onny with string thing" has so far come up with nothing

thanks

coffeeking
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

be aware that a pull switch for lights will not do – it needs to be 45 amp rated and IIRC 2 pole

Spongebob
    Free Member

Should be repaired by a qualified electrician now, so be discrete and only attempt this if you know what you are doing. Surprizing how many people think they can wire a switch or socket, but simply can't!

BobaFatt
    Free Member

thanks spongebob, i know a leccy at work so will speak to him later

and thanks for the advice, just couldn't seem to get the correct name for it

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep 45A Double Pole pullcord switch with neon. About a fiver from wholesalers

sv

Should be repaired by a qualified electrician now, so be discrete and only attempt this if you know what you are doing.

Come on what is the worst that could happen 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Should be repaired by a qualified electrician now

Due to regs?

Pfft, stuff like this is easy!

mogrim

Should be repaired by a qualified electrician now

What, to change a switch??? FFS! Thank god there's a new government in town, this health-and-safety-nanny-state thinking will soon be a thing of the past!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It does not need to be repaired by a qualified electrician anyway – its a like for like replacement and that is fine to DIY from my understanding

oldgit
    Free Member

Probably one of the easiest replacement jobs though, should be on it's own supply so no other disruption.
    Has to be terminated well and very securely.
    And that one up there is a cheap and nasty one.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Fraid so, anything inside the bathroom IIRC (in England/Wales only IIRC). But if it is the identical switch and you replace like for like you can't go too far wrong, no-one will know unless you burn the house down, but it requires common sense and observation.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Probably one of the easiest replacement jobs

🙄

More like probably one of the most important to get right domestic replacement jobs, when you turn that shower on full you're getting a lot of current flow through that, one loose connection & it can get very hot & no doubt it will have a nice dry wooden beam inches above it – also might be worth checking your showers power, (approx 4 amps per kilowatt but worth allowing 5) as the switch my be only just rated enough for the application & going to the next size up may prevent further premature failure.

oldgit
    Free Member

AFAIK there isn't a pullcord switch with a higher rating, they're 45A but are tested to more.
    Perfectly Ok with any shower up to 10.5Kw he can only assume the correct cable has been fitted for the shower and distance.
    And those switches are rubbish and suffer a lot of mechanical problems.

Oh and hence the termination remark.

coffeeking
    Free Member
    oldgit
    Free Member

Yep 50A switch exactly the same as the 45A switch but with the number 50 on the box.
    And Volex the pinacle of sh**ness.
    It's like when they change the current specs for cables, they don't actually alter the cable.

Drac

Funnily enough ours just broke the other day, must get one sorted.

donks
    Free Member

"Probably one of the easiest replacement jobs"

Disagree! I have fitted hundreds of 45-50A pull switches and they can be a total swine especially if the cables are too short and trying to get cables that are too long back into the naff plastic patresses can lead to them shattering and then your easy replacement job is out of the window.

DIYers have a tendency to just nip up the terminals which as stated can lead to them becoming loose and subject to considerable arcing….and possible fire risk. All I can say is take care there matey and if youre not sure get someone in.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yep 50A switch exactly the same as the 45A switch but with the number 50 on the box.

I'd be interested to see inside and look at the contact faces etc to confirm it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were all just 50's de-rated happily – they couldn't really up-rate it if it isn't safe at least, though they could just take the hit on lifespan I suppose. There's heaps of 50's out there and I did spot a 90 before but can't find it anywhere now.

oldgit
    Free Member

Come on short/long wire can apply to any accessory, but a DP switch is got to be the easiest most straightforward install.
    I did in my post highlight the importance of a good termination.

oldgit
    Free Member

They tell me they can take more, but strangely the 50A switch you linked to only takes a maximum of 10mm.

90A! WTF is that for? I've never seen them. Even 3 phase jumps from 63A – 100/125A.
    The only thing I can think of is incommers, but there usually 63/80A.

donks
    Free Member

it may be easy for you oldgit but as his thread read it's a shower power switchy onny thing which would indicate to me that he has never struggled with 6.00-10mm twin and earth (that may be too short or long) in a box that is prone to falling appart given too much pressure with possibly the wrong size screwdriver….Almost every time I do work in someones home I have to comment of a horror of a connection or installtion only to find out the owner did it….its got fail written all over it.

lyons
    Free Member

I agree with Donks they can be a complete bitch to change. 10mm cable isn't very flexible… I hate doing them myself.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

its replaced, the right switch for the right job and plenty of cable to allow good solid connections.

and although i didn't know the name of what i was looking for i am pretty well adapt with screwdrivers and cabling, just not good at remembering the names of things

coffeeking
    Free Member

90A! WTF is that for?

It was packaged as per a shower switch 😆 Maybe it was a US one slipped under the radar.

donks
    Free Member

Fair play Bobba and happy showering.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good stuff, you've got the cold going through the N and the hot going through the L I assume 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Lyons YGM

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘anyone know the proper name for this? (electrics content)’ is closed to new replies.