Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anyone know the going (Northern) rate for interior door fitting?
  • B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What should I expect to pay per door for fitting/labour, with new doors, handles and hinges supplied. 6 or 8 doors. Anyone had it done recently?
    cheers

sandwicheater

Had a quote in Huddersfield area of £40 per door.

Well for that money I learned to do it my self and did a bloody good job.

patriotpro
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member
    Had a quote in Huddersfield area of £40 per door.

Well for that money I learned to do it my self and did a bloody good job.

+1 for this especially if you have a planer and workbench, etc…

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

£40? I was thinking it would be £50-£80, bingo 🙂 . I haven’t got the patience or skill to do something like that myself, or the appropriate tools. I’d just make a mess of it.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

assuming the frames aren’t twisted, should be around £30 -£40 per door max.

without seeing the ‘job’ i’m just going on what i’ve charged, but you might get someone cheaper if its mates rates, but be wary of too cheap– if a mess is made going to cost you a lot to rectify.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s the next door neighbour, fitted them as his job, but he got made redundant recently. So, I’m happy to help him out, but didn’t want to go in just saying yes to anything he suggested as a price.
    Cheers

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Bowt 40-50 and make sure the hinges are recessed into the door and frame lol

Shadow
    Free Member

we charge £35 – 40 per door in Harrogate

project
    Free Member

£30 quid a door here for more than 3, but as some doors especially the white colonist ones cost about a tenner and a local firm is supplying ansd fitting 6 for 300 quid including hinges latches and handles, get what you can.

If using an electric palne inside use a dust extractor, and if outside wear a dust mask as there is a lot of dust.

Also pointless painting them first paint after hanging

project
    Free Member

oh and if theyre from a well known orange shed and sold as hardwood expect problems.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I charge £75 – £100/door in Bath & Bristol depending on door furniture and state of the frames.

They are oak doors though. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

oh and if theyre from a well known orange shed and sold as hardwood expect problems.

I fitted an external engineered hardwood door from B&Q to my own house last Spring. It’s been absolutely fine, thanks.

project
    Free Member

Until the veneer lifts, and youre told to return it back to the shed, leaving the house without a door, then who is going to pay for the removal and re fitting of it.

Ask them that when it delaminates.

unovolo
    Free Member

Hmm Yes I bought one of there “Oak Hardwood” Interior doors, note to self read the small print.

It mainly consists of Oak Veneer and a small amount of Oak strips around the edges.

Was a proper pain in the arris to fit due to door frame not being square(OK not there fault)but a lot of very careful planing ensued to remove the required amount without going thru to the underlying(not oak) material.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Until the veneer lifts, and youre told to return it back to the shed, leaving the house without a door, then who is going to pay for the removal and re fitting of it.

As I said, mine is absolutely fine. It wasn’t even an expensive one.

Oh and to be fair, if you bought an oak veneered door, and thought you were getting a solid oak door, you really didn’t read the product description properly. It’s not hidden away in the small print is it?

project
    Free Member

Oh and to be fair, if you bought an oak veneered door, and thought you were getting a solid oak door, you really didn’t read the product description properly. It’s not hidden away in the small print is it?

customer bought it, i fitted it, i had the problem of persuading them it was a problem door, she had the problem of having no door.

Also customers see oak door, not engineered oak door, and dont expect the core to be chip board, or blocks of poorly glued timber with voids.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Also customers see oak door, not engineered oak door, and dont expect the core to be chip board, or blocks of poorly glued timber with voids.

You need to manage your clients a bit better then. You do whinge about clients a lot though to be fair project. Perhaps you need to try and see them in a more positive light. 🙂

project
    Free Member

dont seem to recall saying anything about my customers that could be seen as derogatory or whingeing.

The customer will usually buy down to a budget,not up to a quality, i uasually dont get involved until the fitting of the product is required, also dont sex workers have clients, where as i have good freindly tea supplying customers.

its also like a cetain companys selling solid oak furniture, made up of small lengths of oak planks and blocks with the grains mis matching and looking terrible, but to the customer who buys it its solid oak.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I’ve seen you whinge plenty project.

Clients/customers. Whatevski bro. I have clients.

Funny you mention sexworkers though, my client said to me today, “I knew you’d be an excellent finisher.” (I shit you not) 😆

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have a mate that does it for £30 a pop (mates rate) won’t be much more if any. South manc.

john_drummer
    Free Member

hollowcore interior doors (e.g. Colonist as mentioned above) do not have a lot of room for planing.
    the stiles and rails (sides and top/bottom) are rarely more than an inch thick and you need to keep at least half of that to get good purchase for the screws; also check which side the lockblock is & whereabouts it is in the door height, and fit the hinges to the opposite side. It’s usually marked on the top edge of the door

Finally, measure twice, buy once! measure the frame size, knock about 6mm off the width & the same off the height, that’ll be a good start if the frame is true.

project
    Free Member

Dont forget the hollow colonist doors also have a huge staple hidden in each corner just to damage your palnner blades or send a shower of sparks from a circular saw blade, as fopr the lockblock tap the side of the door to fiond the lock block, we had some last year the lock block was fitted on the opposite side to that which was marked.

john_drummer
    Free Member

well that’s just typical 🙄

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know the going (Northern) rate for interior door fitting?’ is closed to new replies.