Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Anyone know of any bargain 29’r winter tyres
  • plus-one

As title please looking for something mainly for winter/mud plugging.

Recommendations welcome 🙂

£30 an end max please

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/schwalbe-cx-pro-bike-tyre-700x30c-541252.html

£23 there, available locally to collect from 7th, other stores may have them cheaper and available sooner.

steveh

Tyres are in very short supply at the moment, I couldn’t find anything wintery for that sort of price.

plus-one

Aye short supply indeed ! Ideally 2.0-2.3 ish width

davros

Just got a schwalbe Hans dampf from merlin for 25, for the rear on my hardtail. First ride today in the slop, ice and slush. Very impressed so far.

plus-one

Specialized Butcher for £27.50
    Do I win?

Maybe ! Are these ok in winter slop though ?

niceandy
    Free Member

I run a butcher on the rear (2.6) and find it good in the slop. I have a Hillbilly on the front though. Worth seeing if they pop up in the sales.

Tracey

We run Butcher front and rear all year round. The Blck Dmnd version is a heavy tyre but works for us in most conditions.
    The ones been sold off are due to a new compound released for 2021.
    Nothing wrong with the old compound.
    They are very psi sensitive to get the best out of them.

plus-one

https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/dpt/pgr/specialized-butcher-control-29×23-mtb-tyre-in-black__23808

Are these better or worse than the black diamond butcher ?

Seems like Schwalbe tyres they have loads of compounds at different price points 🙁

No weights listed either

Tracey

They had 4 compound versions, Control, Grid, Grid Trail and Blck Dmnd. In that order of lightness and sidewall strength.
    We tend to not run the Controls as they aren’t as robust as the others.

cb

Anyone know if the Butcher BD in 2.6 guise will fit in a 2016 Enduro? I have 2.3 at the moment.

pipm1
    Free Member

BLCK DMND are Specialized heavy DH type casing. The Control is their lower ‘bog standard tyre’ casing. The GRID/Trail ones are in the middle. Butchers are pretty good in mud in my experience.

plus-one

Nice one thanks for clarification 🙂

oreetmon
    Free Member

I bought in the £20 2019 sale a 2.6 butcher, hillbilly and 2 others I cant remember name of.
    They size up like a maxxis 2.35 compared to my kenda hellkat 2.6 which struggles for room under a mudhugger on a 2020 rockshox pike

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Anyone know if the Butcher BD in 2.6 guise will fit in a 2016 Enduro? I have 2.3 at the moment.

I bought 2.6s from Specialized ,and they fitted by 2017 Enduro no problem.

IA

Forekasters 30 an end from Freewheel.co.uk sorted.

plus-one

Thanks all I do have choices 🙂

garage-dweller

I bought a Forekaster a few weeks back.

Only had one ride on it so far (stupid workload/Covid). It’s not really a deep slop/clag tyre but it was ok in a mix of that and slimy claggy grot in the South Downs with careful handling.

Run a butcher up front and that’s ok too. It doesn’t stick especially well in uter claggy South Downs filth but not much does! It is however pretty effective on most other damp stuff I’ve ridden it on.

theturl

Yes, very good! Walls are a bit thin though so not the natural choice if where you ride is rocky but a really good tyre IMO.

theturl

Sorry, that was a vote for the Butcher🤦🏼‍♂️

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know of any bargain 29’r winter tyres’ is closed to new replies.