Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Anyone know of a thin/small diameter set of quality grips?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

My hands are quite small and a lot of the oversized grips or ones with designs etc don’t really suit me too well.

Are there any decent bolt on grips that aren’t too bulky that riders recommend?

druidh
    Free Member

I have wee hands and get on well with Lizard Skin Peatys.

brant
    Free Member

Charge ones are quite skinny I think.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Shimano/Pro atherton grips.

Nice small diameter and not external stoppers on the bar end, so comfy hands at the end of the bar.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Charge lockons. Were uncomfortably thin for my normal sized man-hands. Made my forearms hurt.

budgierider67

Specialized Locking XC Grips are great. They do wear fairly quick though.

Bregante

I only ever use sunline lock ons. Not the longest lasting but at this price……

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19264&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom

Edit. In fact I couldn’t resist. I’ve just bought some more…..

HermanShake
    Free Member

ODI Ruffians are quite thin, I have big hands but quite like the feeling. They’re tacky right out of the packet and get stickier with age. I use them on both of my MTBs.

I don’t like the thick grip feeling, it doesn’t feel precise to me.

tomhoward

Specialized enduro for me, only thing is they don’t do a lock on version that’s as thin 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    transapp
    Free Member

+1 for the charge grips (plus they come in a nice rance of coloured collers to match your bike!)

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey!

Any chance you could measure the diameters?

I have some yeti that are 31.5mm
    some token that are 30mm
    and some answer that are 30mm.

Are any of those mentioned smaller in diameter to those sizes?

sa9000
    Free Member

Renthal , they are free of all lock on gubbins which I hate.

Northwind

I prefer lockons but the Renthal slipons are great. Stay in place better than most too.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Odi longnecks, lock on or normal.

GW
    Free Member

seeing as everyone’s just suggesting what they use (for a change 🙄 )

Worn (understatement) Ruffian lock ons and no gloves

Northwind

Right enough GW, in future I’ll recommend only things I hate.

GW
    Free Member

😀

Worn Ruffians 24.5 – 26.5mm Kes (brand new they’re about 30mm).

they wear much faster form sweaty hands using them gloveless BTW (mingin but true 😉 )

Popocatapetl

i like the Bontrager Race lite single lock ons. small profile with decent levels of grip and rubber ends so you can lean the bike against the car!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Thirding the Renthals although I find I have to reglue them every few months. Still, best grips I ever tried.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Odi longnecks, lock on or normal.

+1

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I have teeny child-sized hands and love these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24772

kaesae
    Free Member

littlegirlbunny I think I will give those a try, will keep the other in mind for future reference.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I’m with Bregante, Sunline Thins. Spend the money saved on beer.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Onza pawcipaws, thinnest grips I’ve ever tried as I prefer to ride grip less but it’s just not practical.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve got a spare pair of brand new ESI Racer’s Edge grips in black that could be nice and cheap. They’re too thin for me.

momo

Another vote for renthals here, recently swapped from the pro atherton lock ons. nice and thin but offer plenty of cussioning too thanks to not having the plastic sleve down the centre.

transapp
    Free Member

Pawcipaws are great, but can you still get them? I bought my last pair in the lat 90’s!

kaesae
    Free Member

Can’t see any sunline thins, is that there name? I have 3x bikes so I can try a few different grips.

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m only using lockon grips, I play about with components all the time and I don’t want to go back to being 6 years old, jamming a spoon into my grips then pouring in water.

Saying that maybe I should try them and see how they work, what kind of glue is used to secure them?

The renthals are 29mm, so not a bad diameter.

momo

kaesae – Member
    what kind of glue is used to secure them?

Renthal grip glue, not listed on CRC at the moment for some reason.

budgierider67

Slightly worn Specialized XC locking are 27mm dia.

relliott6879
    Free Member

Pik n MixMember

Onza pawcipaws, thinnest grips I’ve ever tried as I prefer to ride grip less but it’s just not practical.

transappMember

Pawcipaws are great, but can you still get them? I bought my last pair in the lat 90’s!

Porcipaws are indeed still available, I put a brand new set on my bike last month. I believe they’ve found a resurgence amongst the trials fraternity and, as such, they now come supplied pretty long. They have markers in 10mm increments though if you wish to cut them down a little. As a nice bonus, they come with end plugs for your bars. I got mine here: http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/Shop/p/43368-onza-onza-porcipaw-grips-black/

relliott6879
    Free Member

kaesaeMember
    I’m only using lockon grips, I play about with components all the time and I don’t want to go back to being 6 years old, jamming a spoon into my grips then pouring in water.

Saying that maybe I should try them and see how they work, what kind of glue is used to secure them?

No spoons required with the Porcipaws, they’re that thin that you can literally roll them up from the inside edge (think a condom in reverse!) then when you’re near the edge of the bar you simply pull the whole lot off. Just make sure you don’t roll them up too far and turn the whole grip inside out, as it’s a faff to then get the right way round again.

As for securing them, I’ve always used the tried and tested method of hairspray (the cheaper and nastier the better), as recommended by MBUK sometime in the early 90s… Spray a load inside the grip and it will slide nice and easily onto the bar, leave it for a few minutes and the hairspray will dry but also stick the grip in place, but not so much that you won’t get it off again when you want to.

neninja
    Free Member

I use ESI grips and really rate them although they are a little fragile.

I’ve not used Renthals on the mtb but they are my motorcycle grip of choice. Never used the glue, instead just fit them using contact cleaner and then lock wire them in place (they have lock wire grooves at each end). They’ve never moved a mm.

TiRed

Ergon come in two sizes. The GA1 is a standard profile, although I like the GS1, personally.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I have wee hands and get on well with Lizard Skin Peatys.

+1. I’ve got wee hands which get sore when wearing thicker gloves. Peatys sorted it though.

RustyMac

Sunline thin grips

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19264

i have a pair of these in the shed i could measure for you tonight if you still want sizes but at £7 a pair it will hardly break the bank to just buy and try them.

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey Rusty mac I bought a pair of those yesterday. Should be arriving soon!

kaesae
    Free Member

Well one set of my new grips have arrived the fire eye skinnies and they’re 28.75mm or there about so quite good 😀

Ordered these and then some of the sunline ones at £7 10 mins later and these have arrived without the sunline’s, however I’m sure the sunlines will be here soon.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know of a thin/small diameter set of quality grips?’ is closed to new replies.