Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Anyone know anything about snorkelling kit?
  • stumpy01

For part of our honeymoon in a few weeks, we’ll be spending a week in the Maldives and I hope to spend most of my time bobbing around in the water looking at fishes and stuff.
    The hotel provides snorkelling gear, but I fancy getting my own, just in case the hotel stuff is rubbish.

I’ve had a look online, but don’t really know what I am after. I don’t want to spend a packet, as I’ll likely not use them again. Might do, but probably not.

I have seen sets for about £30 with silicone masks, fins of varying sizes and snorkels.

Are dry-top snorkels preferable? I don’t really fancy the idea of swallowing gob loads of water all the time…..do they make a difference or is it easy enough to clear out a normal snorkel?
    Fins (flippers?) – I was thinking of some of the stubby little ones, just to add a bit of propulsion without being too cumbersome.

Any links to recommended sets would be welcome. I’ve been looking at ones on a website called something like 2dryfeet that look OK.

Ta.

sweepy
    Free Member

You need to try masks on to make sure they fit, and my preference is for plain snorkels.

tlr

The Maldives are fantastic, you’ll have a great time. Depending which island you are going to having your own kit is a good idea as then you can go out whenever you want rather than waiting for the snorkel trips.

Technically all I’d suggest is that you get a snorkel with a blow out valve at the bottom, much easier to clear. And just get full fins, no reason not too and much better for swimming.

Unfortunately I’d recommend buying from a shop rather than online, both fins and mask need to fit well. I ended. Op going down 2 shoe sizes in fins, and my wife had to try quite a few masks before one sealed properly.

Smudger666

Any recommendation for shops?

I have the same issue for the entire family in 8 weeks.

tlr

Maldives snorkelling.

Black tips are mostly harmless apparently….

Jason
    Free Member

Any dive shop will help you choose a mask that fits. Unless I had used it before I wouldn’t buy a mask off the internet.

Closed foot fins are fine for the Maldives and for a little bit of swimming, but can rub after a while. Long term open foot fins and light weight neoprene shoes are the best option.

I have used snorkels with and without purge valves, overall I would say go without one as the purge valves can let a bit of water in if there is any dirt in the valve. I think all the snorkels I have used have had a cover over the top, can’t say it is ever a problem to clear water out.

Enjoy the Maldives, really good snorkelling. We went when my wife was pregnant and she couldn’t dive, but the snorkelling straight outside the room was fantastic.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Decathlon usually has a good selection of snorkelling equipment.

thepurist

To check a mask fits, put the strap over the front then put the mask up to your face and gently breathe in through your nose – if it stays put then it shouldn’t leak. After that it’s down to personal preference – clear or black silicone skirt, but I’d generally go for a simple style rather than anything with fancy extra glazing. FWIW the Aqualung Sphera mask is v. popular with underwater hockey players, good vision & decent price.

Snorkel – as above a purge valve on the mouthpiece is far more useful than any of the fancy gubbins at the top. You need a decent bore as well – something about the size of a 20p piece will make it more comfortable breathing than a narrow straw. If you’re thinking long term than go for one with a standard mouthpiece that can be replaced rather than anything fancy.

Fins – cheap floppy/small fins are pretty useless IMO. Mares Plana Avanti HP are 25ish quid and will actually move you through the water quite effectively.

stumpy01

Cheers.
    I did think that trying on would be the best option. Getting a bit short on time though, with stag-do and other stuff in the next couple of weeks, so am not sure I will be able to get to a shop.
    Will try to though. I’ve done a quick search and I can’t even find any shops in/nr Peterborough that sells snorkelling gear.
    There might be one near Oakham, I could perhaps get to.

The website I was looking at was called 2barefeet…
    These are the kind of things I was thinking of:

http://www.twobarefeet.co.uk/snorkelling-equipment/adults-diving-sets/mask-snorkel-fins-3-piece-diving-sets/two-bare-feet-adults-silicone-mask-snorkel-fins-set-3-red.html

thepurist

Those 2barefeet fins are a bit on the short/stumpy side. More like swimmers training fins than snorkelling fins TBH.

Gildenburgh water is an inland dive site near peterborough & has a shop (of sorts)

stumpy01

Cheers for the link. I’ll give them a bell and see what they have.

I am off on Friday for my stag do, and have to drive roughly in that direction anyway so I could pop in there on the way…

natrix
    Free Member

As ebygomm said, Decathlon do some good snorkelling kit. If you have a ‘tache it might be worth trimming it to get a good seal.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Mares Plana Avanti HP are a good recommendation for fins, my wife has some, as do the 3 guys were often go to the maldives with. I have the next model up because they fitted better.

You really need to try the stuff on rather than buy it online – if the fins don’t fit well and cut/rub your feet raw and you lose snorkeling time, are you going to feel that £10 saved was worth it???

If the island has a good house reef you will probably be in there snorkeling quite a lot, looking for turtles to swim with, etc, so you will get good vfm, so it worth getting some decent gear.

You also want decent length fins, like the Mares. If you go on a trip to swim with the mantas (highly recommended) you may get caught in some strong currents (manata often swim with currents…) and find yourself way off from the boat quite easily and having to swim back as fair distance.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It is also worth shaving the little hairs off the top of your feet when trying on fins, as the hairs pull as you put the fins on, making you thing they are a tight fit.

When your feet are wet and hairless the fins go on much easier – I reckon at least a half-size difference if not more.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A mask with a large window can be worth it so you catch sight of those titan trigger fish charging you – or the crown jelly fish you are about to swim into…

A waterprrof camera might also be worth getting, or you will regret it later – and memory cards.

annebr
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother buying cheap gear to avoid using the hotel equipment.

TBH I’d buy a decent mask and leave the snorkle and fins. I’ve done lots of snokleing using just a mask. Unless you need to swim long distances or dive quite deep I don’t think you “need” fins.

If you decide you like it enough to do more you can alway buy nice fins and snorkle later.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Fins are pretty big and will probably eat into a baggage allowance – I’d skip them.
    Most snorkels you get are the open topped pipe types, I prefer a top valve and purge valve, one of these will set you back £20-£30 and more than do what you want.
    I’m mixed on the mask, a decent one will cost a few quid and most people will tell you that fit is everything, and as scuba diver I’d agree. But as you won’t be going to scuba depth, the hotel ones will probably do. That said, if you visit a dive shop and find a mask that’s cheap and comfortable, just get it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I don’t think it worth not going with decent gear, bit of a bummer if you regret it on the trip.

How long are you there for – just a week and moving on or for a fortnight?

6 weeks until my fourth trip out there.

Normally get up just after 6 for a snorkel before breakfast, then snorkel several times during the day, plus maybe some trips to snorkle elsewhere or look for manatas.

If you go for a manta trip you will be in and out of the water quite a bit and possibly swimming around a fair amount. I chased one the other year and would not have been able to get near if I hadn’t got fins on. When I came up to the surface I then noticed that the manta had been following a current, and I was a fair way from the boat.

After swimming back to the boat I noticed that it wasn’t my boat, mine was the same distance again behind it 🙁 The fins were appreciated, and the fact that they were comfortable.

If you take a camera then you will want decent fins to propel you whilst you are holding the camera.

stumpy01

Cheers for the advice!

Like I say, I will try to get along and try some out, but otherwise I will take a punt. It’s not the potential cash saving I’m worried about with regards to buying from a shop; it’s finding the time to get to a shop and try some out.

Feet shaving will be done!

I think there is pretty good diving off the island. I am probably gonna do an intro to scuba session too, while I am there.

We are going here: http://www.kuramathi.com/

I’ve got the waterproof camera; bought a Nikon AW100 a month or so back.
    So I’ll be taking my D80 with 18-135 and 50mm f1.8, P300 compact and AW100 waterproof camera! Should be enough! Also bought 3x 8gb cards to go on top of all the cards I’ve already got!

Can’t bloomin’ wait!!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Crikey, all this talk of saving a few quid!

How much did the trip to the Maldives cost – the difference from budget to half-decent gear is miniscule in comparison.

Make sure your priorities are in order.

If you are only going to the maldives then the amount of other kit you have to take is minimal.

Should easily be able to get fins/snorkel/mask in to 20kg. Only problem is if you are going on elsewhere.

eugeo81
    Free Member

I snorkel a fair bit in the Med and I use the shorter Cressi light swimming/training fins. I find these more than adequate for snorkelling and do not take up much room in your luggage. They can be had quite cheap online too.

Agree with everyone on who said test fit a mask first and avoid buying from off the web. I picked up a decent mask and purge valve snorkel from decathlon for little money that has done me well.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My mate went to Kuramathi on Honeymoon a while ago.

I have been to Biyadhoo 3 times and am off to Vilamendoo shortly.

I take a powerful torch as well which is fun to take to the end of a jetty at night to shine down on the fish.

Actually has 200 lumens one year and then took 1000 lumens last time, but the fish get scared off by that it seems!

I also went snorkeling with it, but it seems to attract loads of little fish to come and start chomping on me 🙁

If you are near London there is a good place near Charing Cross.

stumpy01

TurnerGuy, We are doing a week in Sri Lanka on a tour and then flying from there to the Maldives for the second week.
    Baggage allowance is a consideration, as apparently if you are over your allowance you can’t get on the seaplane to the Island, but have to go on the boat. And I am really looking forward to the seaplane and have paid extra for that…
    We will have more clothing than just swimwear for the Sri Lanka part of the trip, so it’s something we need to bear in mind.

A mate has just returned from the Maldives and did suggest the same as ‘bigbutlimmerbloke’ about taking a mask and snorkel but just using the fins that they have at the hotel.
    I don’t envisage chasing after manta rays and getting too far out of my depth as I am not a massively confident swimmer.

As I said above – cost isn’t a massive issue, although I have already splashed out almost £200 on camera bits just for this trip (although I will obviously be able to use them in the future) and we want to have enough spending money for a couple of spa treatments, a scuba trial session and a few other bits…

stumpy01

TurnerGuy – Member
    My mate went to Kuramathi on Honeymoon a while ago.

I have been to Biyadhoo 3 times and am off to Vilamendoo shortly.

I take a powerful torch as well which is fun to take to the end of a jetty at night to shine down on the fish.

Biyadhoo was on the shortlist….

I think we are gonna take a torch, as several of the trip advisor reviews recommend it for getting about the island after dark.
    I’ve got a decent LED Lenser that I’ll probably take, if I remember to get batteries for it!!

thehustler
    Free Member

might sound strange but wonder into your local lidl, they had some pretty good looking snorkel mask and flipper sets for 14.99 the other week, was a drytop snorkel and silicone mask so worth a punt

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You could take some synthetic ankle socks to protect your feet if the hotel fins aren’t the greatest fit.

Also take something you can use as a rash vest, a synthetic base layer like a HH will do, otherwise you might get badly burnt snorkeling.

Ultrasun sun lotion worked well – on once in the morning and that was it.

Seaplanes have a limit of something like 5kg, so hand luggage. The rest will be brought by boat anyway, and will arrive later, so pack your swim gear in the hand luggage.

Had to go Thompson for Vilamendhoo. I paid for transfers, which are suppossed to be seaplane, but on the ticket it says coach transfers! A coach transfer would certainly be more fun as it will be a heck of a coach 🙂

Biyadhoo is nice and quite laid back, but also a little rundown and basic, so probably your island is better for the honeymoon.

Biyadhoo has a nice reef – although it is getting less nice over time due to the number of people.

In particular the Japanese seem to think nothing of walking on the coral, and also collecting hermit crabs to take back to their rooms to boil in their kettles – which normally the hotel removes to stop the practice!

I mounted a few guerrilla raids on my last trip to free buckets worth of hermit crabs whilst my mate distracted the collectors with conversation 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Another top-tip – if you hate water in your ears like me, is this stuff:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000S5MZAA/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550951749&ref=asc_df_B000S5MZAA

Davesport

I dunno what your expectations are but there’s a lot of pain in buying & wearing gear that doesn’t fit. I spent two weeks snorkelling in the Maldives whilst Mrs Davesport was sunning herself. Good advice offered already. Buy a quality silicon mask that fits your face. It’s got to seal & not pinch at the nose bridge. The strap’s only for retention & shouldn’t need to tight to get the mask to seal. Clear silicon lets a lot of ambient light into the mask which creates a nice airy feel. If you buy a clear one keep it stored in the supplied box. They become discoloured otherwise. My preference for a snorkel is to keep it as simple as possible. Get one that’s got a medium size bore. To big & it’s difficult to get rid of all the water. As for the fins. Well there’s been some s**te advice given. Jet fins, the ones with the strap are not suited to snorkelling. You’ll have to wear neoprene bootees under them & the experience is cumbersome. Get a proper set of shoe fins with stiff blades. They’re much more streamlined & if you ever get the opportunity to try them side by side with jet fins you’ll see why they’re popular. One thing I would say is to try everything out before you go.

Something to bear in mind about snorkelling in equatorial areas is obviously the sun. Take a UV rated rash vest & wear it whenever you’re out on the water.

D.

stumpy01

Wow! Some excellent tips!

I will take a look in Lidl, although…
    My mate has just got back from honeymoon also in The Maldives. I’ve just sent him an e-mail and he’s gonna lend me his Decathlon gear to try out and if we get on OK with it, we can borrow that.

I did wonder about wearing some sports socks to make the fins more comfortable…will probably try that.

I think I will take some kind of base layer to wear in the water; same mate above burnt his back quite successfully on the first day!

Am normally OK with my ears, but have never gone down particularly deep.

The Japanese boiling hermit crabs is crazy!! I like the sound of guerilla rescue missions.

zippykona

As my knee gives me grief from time to time fins aren’t always an option.
    So I take webbed swimming gloves as well. They are great if you are just swimming around rocks.
    As for fins I like the open ones where you use boots. With boots you can walk on hot sand and if you take your fins off in the water you don’t need to worry so much about what animal is hiding beneath your feet.
    Also they are great for rock pooling.
    Get a rash vest otherwise your back will get burnt and don’t forget your head if like me you are a slap head. Once safely away from shore my swimming hat goes on. Having blisters on your head burst while having Christmas dinner with your girlfriend’s parents is not something I need to repeat!

eskay

I snorkel a fair bit in the Med and I use the shorter Cressi light swimming/training fins. I find these more than adequate for snorkelling and do not take up much room in your luggage. They can be had quite cheap online too.

I use those as well, nice and compact for the suitcase and do the job.

thepurist

Op – for a sense of perspective imagine someone on snorkeltrackworld posting a thread about going to the 7 stanes and asking what bike to buy, then reread the thread 🙂

stumpy01

😀 @ thepurist!!

You know that saying about things you don’t know you know, things you know you don’t know etc….I never realised there would be so much to buying a set of snorkel bits.

I appreciate all the advice, but will do the normal STW thing of ignoring all of it. Ha ha! Not really, but I will be giving my mate’s Decathlon stuff a whirl and take it from there.
    I guess the most important thing is comfort and fit. I can tolerate X fins not being quite as efficient as Y fins, but I don’t want the kit to give me blisters or leak!

Short of dunking my head in the bath, davesport I am not sure how I can try out the gear before I go – although my stag do is on a boat on the Norfolk broads, so that could potentially make for some amusing testing!!

Rash vests! How much are they gonna set me back!? I’ve got some fairly close weave base layers I was thinking of using!! At this rate, I’ll have no space in my luggage for normal clothing!

thepurist

8 quid rash vest

I’ve been using one for Underwater Hockey in an outdooor pool (summer only!) for the last few years and it’s still holding together OK, so it’ll do for the Maldives. Old base layers will prolly work just fine too, or even T-shirts if you don’t mind the extra drag.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

rashie – tkmaxx do these bamboo sport tshirts from time to time, about £8-£10 IIRC and excellent – use them under my wetsuit for pool dive and kayak sessions. Still good, but allow for a bit of shtinkage.

cbike
    Free Member

The fancy ones with purge valves and floats on top leak or seal when you want to breath in. Mine went in the bin. The 30 year old plain vanilla one I had when i was 12 was much better.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’m a diver (and the occasional snorkel) and, if I were you, I’d use borrow a snorkel and fins. I prefer the simplest snorkels anyway and the money you would have spent on all three will be much better spent on a good mask.

I have a Mares X Vision. Great amount of light let in, really comfortable too. Maybe buy some neoprene socks to wear under the fins you borrow to avoid rubbing.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about snorkelling kit?’ is closed to new replies.