Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone know anything about P.A. Systems?
  • Steve_Lockhart

Hoping for some advice from those more knowledgeable – I’ve defaulted to specifying and purchasing a PA system for use at outdoor events. Such a system would ideally be weather resistant, but all the speakers i’ve seen are the horn type and need a 100V type input. When i was involved in PA systems (20 years ago..), the 100V systems seemed to be installed mainly in buildings / factories etc, and 4 / 8 Ohm speakers and a whacking great big stereo amp (same set up as a domestic hifi – but bigger!) for on-stage stuff.
    What’s the difference between the 2 types, and have i got it all wrong?
    Not sure what sort of power would be required yet – i’m trying to find out what the existing system is which is being replaced. When i know this i’ll know better which direction to go in!

Milkie
    Free Member

I know a little about PA Systems, I’ve still got my Peavey CS800X upstairs. 🙂

What will the system be used for? Announcements, music, bands, monitoring?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

intended use? (public address/vocal reinforcement/bands/background music etc)

size of coverage (Glastonbury pyramid stage/your front room)

budget?

how transportable?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and in direct answer to your question:

100v line stuff is used to provide systems where the speakers will be a long way apart. there are various reasons for this but basically each speaker has a transformer in it to drive the cones. this means that there is less effect from voltage drop on the cable runs but leads to a loss of signal quality and a fairly drastic drop in ‘loudness’. it also means you are not running a high current along wires in a public area/outdoors/in thwe rain

‘normal’ PA systems use lower voltages but higher currents. this allows greater power to be delivered over shorter differences negating the need to tone the voltage down at the cabinet

personally i’m more of a ‘whacking great big amp’ kinda guy but have had some experience with 100v line stuff

Steve_Lockhart

great stuff!
    it will be used for background music and announcements in field type locations for approx 350 people (possibly spread over the whole field area).
    It’s for Scottish Cross Country mtb assosciation SXC. I’ve made contact with the guy who arranged the original system and await a description / spec of it. At a complete guess, the current (dead) system would be 1Kw at most? At least now i know who i can pester!
    thanks.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’m pretty sure TOA and Tannoy are decent companies to look at.

most 100v line systems are very poor for music as the frequency response is pretty limited (certainly goes for the traditional cone shaped ones).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about P.A. Systems?’ is closed to new replies.