Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Anyone know anything about garden plants?
  • DT78
    Free Member

With summer coming the missus is *suggesting* I need to sort out the garden a bit.

We have a small strip of flower bed between a path and the fence about one foot wide and 6 or 7 meters long which is basically filled with lots of weeds.

We'd like to put in a plant(s) that can cope with shade without dying (gets sun in late afternoon in summer), and hopefully keeps it's leaves through winter (evergreen?)

Only thing I can think of is lavendar, but the missus doesn;t want that.

Anyother suggestions?

DT78
    Free Member

That'll be a no then

Maybe I could try tumble weed….

thepurist

Jeez – gimme a minute – some of us have been taking advantage of the absofrikkinlutely gorgeous weather to get some riding in 😉

What's the soil like – heavy/light, moist/well drained? Lavender needs plenty of sun to do well so would be a bad choice anyway.

DT78
    Free Member

Sorry!!! I wish I could be riding – I'm sat at work thinking about the weekends gardening the missus has planned!!

Soil wise I'm not an expert but if I had to describe it – light and well drained not clayey or anything and next to a deep gravel path. I'm south coast if that helps at all.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member
    mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Forget evergreen, just fill it with raspberries, Bit of sun, bit of shade. Ideal. You won't regret it.

piha
    Free Member

Japanese Knotweed is yer answer! Might need a bit of trimming every now and then!! The Victorians loved it. Jobs a good un. 👿

Shackleton

Try Viburnum tinus, Euonymus fortunei, Rosa rugosa, Chaenomeles x superba (flowering quince), Cornus species (dogwoods), Eleagnus species, Aucuba Japonica and, so long as it isn't really shady, many Ceanothus cultivars will do well too. These plants are either evergreen or have year round interest (coloured foliage, stems, flowers, etc) For low level stuff Heuchera, Lamium and Bergenia varieties look after themselves and if you don't have a slug/snail problem Hostas look good. All should be readily availiable at any garden centre and can be managed with fairly crude pruning and are pretty fast growing and colourful.

If you like gardening then there are many, many more but I get the feeling you don't fall into this camp…..

thepurist

Some good suggestions above – plus

Philadelphus varieties – really good fragrance but not evergreen, Osmanthus x burkwoodii (or heterophyllus – one flowers in spring, the other in autumn, both fragrant), Phyllostachys aureosulcata f aureocalis (good structural non-invasive bamboo – there are other yellow stemmed varieties too but not P. aurea), Fargesia murialiae is similar but a bit more clumpy and less structural, Kirengishoma palmata for something unusual, if it's dappled shade then some Japanese maples would work too – try Acer Seiryu, Senkaki or Bloodgood for commonly available varieies but shirawasanum Aureum is my fave. Plus some ferns don't mind it a bit drier – Asplenium scolopendrium (Hart's tongue fern), Polystichum vars, Dryopteris filix-mas (will grow anywhere), Blechnum spicant. Vibrunum davidii with Geranium Ann Folkard planted among it is a combination I use a fair bit too.. plenty more options too!

DT78
    Free Member

Thank you for your responses, looks like I've got a fair bit of googling to do to make a decision.

Been trying to grow climbers (clematis) up the fence from the strip but that hasn't been successful either.

EDIT – first google on Japanese knotweed comes up with lots of links about trying to remove it or eradicate it!!!! Sounds like a pita?

thepurist

For climbers try Rose Danse du Feu, Garrya elliptica James Roof (technically a shrub but will climb OK and has dangly catkins in the winter), Schizophragma hydrangeoides, Hydrangea petiolaris or Parthenocissus vars. – Akebia quinata should be OK in So'ton too. Lots of Clematis should be fairly happy with part shade though – why are they failing?

EDIT – the knotweed thing was someone mucking about – it's one of the worst invasive plants that we've got in the UK and is a proper PITA to deal with.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Given that the bed is only a foot wide/deep and is next to a path I'd give shrubs a miss. You'll constantly be cutting them back just to get down the path. Clematis may have struggled as they like their roots to be kept cool. I'd go with the the climber option as they will cling to or can be tied into the fence and plant something like the Heuchera or Bergenia to provide ground cover. They may help the clematis, if you still have them, by providing shade for the roots.

teef
    Free Member

You'll be watching Gardeners' World next – BBC2 8:30pm Friday

Ambrose

I think that you can be prosecuted if you deliberately plant Japanese Knotweed. It is the work of the devil. It is approaching my garden and I'm really worried.

john_drummer
    Free Member

nowt wrong with GW

Macavity
    Free Member

Jap Knotweed, you will be pleased to know is illegal to plant in the UK.
    Box (Buxus)http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/1907.shtml

Juniper , for ground cover to block out weeds.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/4134.shtml

Blue Berries, if you can get the soil conditions right.

Viburnum
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/11788.shtml

Talkemada
    Free Member

Regarding Japanese Knotweed, apparently there's a tiny insect that eats only JK, and may be the solution to the problem.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know anything about garden plants?’ is closed to new replies.