Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Anyone know about burglar alarms and pets??
  • munkster
    Free Member

Have inherited a cat (long story) but we have a burglar alarm with the sensors in most of the rooms.

Have spoken to the firm who fitted the original system (for the previous owners) and I’ve been quoted £120+vat (£95 of which is call out fee) to have one of the sensors (in the area we are probably going to keep the cat during the day) changed to a “pet friendly” sensor so she doesn’t set it off.

Anyone know if these are worth it or not? Or even if these sensors are generic and able to be changed by a hamfisted div like me and save me the £95 call out?

Probably better to be safe than sorry and get “a professional” to do it but thought I’d ask first. TIA in advance, as ever.

wrightyson
    Free Member

How modern is the alarm system?? Can you not set it without that sensor on?? Yes very easy to change but you will set the alarm off when removing the old sensor due to tamper switch. This can easily be reset by you? Do you tell your insurers you have an alarm that is maintained, if so will fiddling with it invalidate policy ( you know what they’re like) how l

wrightyson
    Free Member

Double post!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Milkie
    Free Member

Just stick some tape over the lower half of the sensor, or change the sensitivity?

molgrips
    Free Member

Our cat never set our alarm off and it wasn’t specified that we were having pet friendly sensors.

Might not be an issue?

midlifecrashes

The sensors are cheap and you do a swap wire for wire, easy. I’ve done it without a problem. Shouldn’t be a problem for a single cat. I now have two big dogs so they trigger the new sensors anyway.

khani
    Free Member

If it’s a programable one you should be able to do it yourself (if you have the destructions) you can set [/i]zones where the sensors don’t work just for these type of occasions
    Each room/area with a sensor being a zone

wrightyson
    Free Member

Be careful sticking things over sensors, newer systems will show it as s fault due to a sensor being masked.

munkster
    Free Member

Sounds like there are potential pitfalls with these methods. Popped out just now and passed by a sparky shop – he called a contact (electrician) who said he would do two sensors for £55. Sounds a bit more like it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Silly question, but has the cat set off the alarm with the current set up?

wrightyson
    Free Member

More like it 55 quid is a good deal in anyones book!!

peterwp
    Free Member

just make sure you know the master code before you start work. Often this is different to the entrance code. This is to prevent your cleaners or anyone else with access to the house tampering with the system. The installation company should tell you.
    Otherwise as soon as you prise the first one off the alarm will go off and the normal code wont work!

ton

just a quick heads up.
    i can sell you a petwise pir for not much more than £20

imnotamused
    Free Member

No idea how easy they are to replace on your system but mine is a pet friendly one and it works as it should with our cat

munkster
    Free Member

Bloke came round and did the two sensors for £55. Pif paf pof!

Very ‘appy and quite surprised I got it sorted so quickly.

Thanks all for suggestions.

[/thread]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Anyone know about burglar alarms and pets??’ is closed to new replies.